Garmin GLO, Dual Electronics, Bad Elf etc.

Started by Capt Thompson, July 23, 2017, 09:37:31 PM

Capt Thompson

Any advice on a bluetooth GPS receiver to connect to an Android tablet? Also, is anyone using an Android app other than Avare? DroidEFB, Garmin Pilot etc.? Do any others have CAP grid overlay, or just Avare? Not finding anything on the web to say any of them but Avare support CAP grids.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Eclipse

Avare is about the only game in town.

You can get inexpensive BT GPS units on eBay, I guess yours
doesn't have an integrated one?

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Thompson

I have an older tablet with GPS that I've been using with Avare for a year or so, but the tablet is on it's last legs and not wanting to hold a charge. Got a good deal on an open box Chromebook Plus at Best Buy, which has a much bigger screen and runs Android apps, but no GPS, so I'm hoping to pick up a BT receiver to supply it a signal.

Our MP uses DroidEFB and the interface is a bit nicer and easier to navigate than Avare, but at $75 a year and no CAP grids as far as I can tell. Just wondering if there was anything else out there, but I'm sure there isn't a huge market to add the feature to the other nav apps.
Capt Matt Thompson

Eclipse

I've been wanting one of the new CBs myself, specifically to run Android apps...someday...

Is that a convertible?  If so, doubly jealous.  If not, kinda unwieldy for a cockpit.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Thompson

Yep flips around and turns into a tablet. Some Android apps work well and others don't, since it's not technically an Android device. Still getting used to it, I'm Elite Plus so I have 45 days to return it if it doesn't work out. I'll let you know if I get it to work.
Capt Matt Thompson

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

suboptimal

I use a bluetooth Dual Electronics XGPS150A with an older wifi-only iPad running ForeFlight and it works great.  I wanted a moving map with CAP grids in the backseat. 

The GPS goes in the back window with a cheap cell phone suction-mount and the iPad goes on the back of the pilot's seat with an equally cheap headrest mount.