TLC Refresher

Started by LSThiker, October 02, 2018, 08:50:52 PM

LSThiker

According to CAPR 60-1, there should be a TLC Web-base refresher course available sometime in 2018.  While we still have 2-months until the end of 2018, has this been released?  Or does any one know the status of the course?

Quote2.4.1.3. The TLC Refresher is a brief web-based course that will be available in 2018 to TLC graduates who desire to refresh their training and review any enhancements made to the Cadet Program during the previous 4 years.

I know there is the TLC-Basic online course, which requires the in-residence for completion, but that is not the above course.

Just checking to see if I am missing anything.

Eclipse

More magical thinking.  Apparently there is a belief that simply writing something down makes it actually happen.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

Considering I'm 99% sure the "current" TLC Basic slides have 2-3 year old information that's changed at least twice since they were published (QCUA categories) and as far as I know TLC Advanced still isn't out in the wild yet, I'm not super shocked at this.

If the course material was constantly updated, there wouldn't be a need for the refresher. Just hit up the one-day class every 4 years and get current on the CP if you're not already.

Eclipse

Quote from: Jester on October 03, 2018, 12:38:54 PM
If the course material was constantly updated, there wouldn't be a need for the refresher. Just hit up the one-day class every 4 years and get current on the CP if you're not already.

FWIW, I would be totally on board with something like this - take a few "distracted driving" / "turkey fryer" briefings / stand downs off the calendar and
replace them with a CP and/or ES refresher - useful information actually relevent to local operations and important to member success.

With today's tech, there is absolutely no reason the curriculum can't be, and shouldn't be "live".  Something changes, use those
Commercial Media channels to notify the field of the change, put a "program updated" gateway into eServices, and hold people
accountable for knowing what's going on.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on October 03, 2018, 01:34:06 PM
Quote from: Jester on October 03, 2018, 12:38:54 PM

FWIW, I would be totally on board with something like this - take a few "distracted driving" / "turkey fryer" briefings / stand downs off the calendar and
replace them with a CP and/or ES refresher - useful information actually relevent to local operations and important to member success.

With today's tech, there is absolutely no reason the curriculum can't be, and shouldn't be "live".  Something changes, use those
Commercial Media channels to notify the field of the change, put a "program updated" gateway into eServices, and hold people
accountable for knowing what's going on.

How about we just add more stand downs in!

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 03, 2018, 02:07:46 PM

Clearly an option being currently pursued.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Of course you could complete a TLC Basic or Intermediate course. It's only one day and you might even learn something!
And it resets your 48 month currency clock too.

dwb

Quote from: Eclipse on October 03, 2018, 02:15:46 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 03, 2018, 02:07:46 PM

Clearly an option being currently pursued.

I know you are being facetious, but CAP has lost cadets to suicide. Some quite recent. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for a sober moment of reflection on what we can do to help prevent such tragedies.

Eclipse

Quote from: dwb on October 03, 2018, 04:44:37 PM
I know you are being facetious, but CAP has lost cadets to suicide. Some quite recent. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for a sober moment of reflection on what we can do to help prevent such tragedies.

What it can "do" is offer an an environment of opportunities that allows cadets a safe
place to leave their comfort zone and excel against objective standards, or fail in a benevolent
environment that helps them realize where there need more practice or development.

"That Others May Zoom"

OldGuy

Quote from: Eclipse on October 03, 2018, 05:42:36 PM
Quote from: dwb on October 03, 2018, 04:44:37 PM

What it can "do" is offer an an environment of opportunities that allows cadets a safe
place to leave their comfort zone and excel against objective standards, or fail in a benevolent
environment that helps them realize where there need more practice or development.

I am unconvinced that the "stand down" was well thought out. Were I cc I'd decline to participate as I think it could do more harm than good.

Ned

On topic reply:  We are on schedule to have the TLC Refresher Course on line this year, as indicated in the regulation.

Off topic reply:  Unlike at least some of our safety programs, the October Stand Down will discuss evidence-based responses to an issue that affects all of our members, including cadets.  Statistically, we lose about a squadron's worth of cadets to suicide every year.  I am confident that once you carefully examine the materials and the program with an open mind, you will agree that this is a careful, reasoned, necessary response for our organization.

Ned Lee
Col, CAP
National Cadet Program Manager

LSThiker

Quote from: Ned on October 03, 2018, 06:21:46 PM
On topic reply:  We are on schedule to have the TLC Refresher Course on line this year, as indicated in the regulation.

Thanks Ned for the only relevant response.

Mods feel free to close this as I have my answer.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret