Cadets Should Be Able to earn more speciality track badges

Started by glm705, February 25, 2019, 09:52:16 PM

glm705

This is a rant/opinion post.

In my opinion, Cadets should be able to earn more specialty track badges than IT, ES, Comms, and Historian. Obviously they shouldn't be able to earn Chaplain, IG, Health, or Legal, but as a cadet on Public Affairs and Recruitment/Retention staff in my squadron, it would be great to be able to earn a specialty badge in something that really strikes my interest. I also know that most of the cadet staff in my squadron would probably work for the Cadet Programs or Aerospace Education badge if they could.

I understand that there's some tasks that can't be done in some tracks, but sticking with my area of expertise, as a Cadet Recruitment/Retention NCO, I've done (or am scheduled to do) most of the tasks that one needs for the badge, but I'm unable to earn it. Would this be worth mentioning to my CAC representative and have them feed it up the chain or should I just kinda bite the bullet and suck it up?
Regulation Nerd and PA Geek

Luis R. Ramos

First a clarification.

Cadets do not earn any specialty track badges, not even IT, ES, Comms, or Historian. They will earn that badge when they become Senior Members and can pass Level I. And staff the unit as a Senior Member in those positions. Cadets are not allowed to earn these badges since they cannot be responsibly legal if something bad happens.

They are allowed the right to wear said badge only while a cadet. After they become Senior Members they remove those badges until they achieve all requirements.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Holding Pattern

glm705

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on February 25, 2019, 10:07:11 PM
They are allowed the right to wear said badge only while a cadet. After they become Senior Members they remove those badges until they achieve all requirements.
I'm well aware, I just figured that everyone would understand what I meant, my bad.

Eclipse

Yes, you are "scheduled" to do "most", not all, which is a big difference.

Concentrate on your own progression and duties at the Squadron.  As a new C/NCO your primary duty is
your own progression and the mentoring of the subordinates in your flight.

If you find yourself wanting more CAP, look to encampments, NCSAs, or growing the unit without worrying about
senior-member badges.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

As an aside, the one thing you can really work on that transfers over to the senior side is your ES quals. Get enough of those tee'd up and you can be a long term asset to your squadron and CAP for a long time...

glm705

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2019, 10:49:19 PM
Concentrate on your own progression and duties at the Squadron.  As a new C/NCO your primary duty is
your own progression and the mentoring of the subordinates in your flight.

If you find yourself wanting more CAP, look to encampments, NCSAs, or growing the unit without worrying about
senior-member badges.
I'm not "bling obsessed" or anything like that, it's just that it would be nice to have some sort of signifier of the experience/work I've done, but I get what you're saying.

Eclipse

Understood, no issue there.

Many of us with a few miles have seen cadets get derailed from what should be their primary
focus because of adult shortfalls at the unit.

The cadet gets deeply involved in duties that the seniors should be handling (that cadets can help with but
shouldn't be the primary focus), they get disconnected from the CP as a whole, and a year down the road they
are not coming to meetings any more.

We all love cadets with initiative who want more CAP, just needs to be focused properly.  You probably
won't remember a press release, but the lessons you'll gain and give mentoring your subordinates will
serve you no matter what you pursue.

"That Others May Zoom"

AdAstra

Quote from: glm705 on February 25, 2019, 10:53:26 PM
it would be nice to have some sort of signifier of the experience/work I've done, but I get what you're saying.

I encourage you to pursue the training in the Recruiting and Retention Officer Specialty Track Guide, which will certainly help you as Cadet Recruiting NCO.

CAP tracks the number of new cadet recruits and the number of cadet first-year renewals. This, not a badge, should be considered the long-term proof of the work that you've done as Cadet Recruiting NCO.
Charles Wiest

EMT-83

Strong non-concur. The cadet program is robust and full of opportunities to keep cadet members active and engaged.

The clock is always ticking as far as aging out of the cadet program, and there should be no rush to encroach on the dark side.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on February 26, 2019, 12:59:30 AM
Strong non-concur. The cadet program is robust and full of opportunities to keep cadet members active and engaged.

The clock is always ticking as far as aging out of the cadet program, and there should be no rush to encroach on the dark side.

+1 These are not cadet duties nor responsibilities. 

They will (hopefully) have 50 years to be senior members, only ~8 at the outside as a cadet.

It's seems like "no big deal" right now, but when you're 25, processing someone else's Spaatz request,
it will hit home where a cadet should focus.

There are also other, non-CAP things you can do if you're progression is current, and aren't interested in encampment or NCSAs.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on February 26, 2019, 01:26:13 AM
It's seems like "no big deal" right now, but when you're 25, processing someone else's Spaatz request, it will hit home where a cadet should focus.

This.

Or when you're counseling a cadet who badly wants it but doesn't deserve it...