Boeing 747 Dreamlifter Lands at Wrong Airport in Giant Blunder

Started by a2capt, November 21, 2013, 10:28:09 PM

a2capt

Boeing 747 Dreamlifter Lands at Wrong Airport in Giant Blunder

A Boeing 747 Dreamlifter bound for McConnell Air Force Base in Kansas mistakenly landed at Jabara Airport near Wichita on Wednesday after a flight from New York's JFK. If that error wasn't bad enough, the massive cargo plane was stuck there and forced the airport to close until it could take off this afternoon.

The story ..
http://www.flyingmag.com/news/boeing-747-dreamlifter-lands-wrong-airport-giant-blunder

The soundbytes ..
https://soundcloud.com/producermatthew/atlas-air-flight-4241-lands-at

Not sure what's going to be worse .. the explaining they have to do, or the teasing from co-workers.

I'd figure that pilots for these niche aircraft are not very common themselves.

No one is perfect, but ..

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on November 21, 2013, 10:28:09 PM
Not sure what's going to be worse .. the explaining they have to do, or the teasing from co-workers.

More like emails from former co-workers.

Debrief and fire.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

The crew is from Atlas Air. Atlas probably has two positions open this morning.

TexasCadet

SarDragon

Quote from: TexasCadet on November 22, 2013, 03:25:26 AM
How do you make a mistake like that?

Easier then you think.

Examination of the locations reveals runways with headings differing by about 5 degrees. Also, they are almost on a straight line from each other. Runway size does differ significantly, though - Mc Connell is 12,000' x 150', Jabara is 6101' x 100'.

If you check out the approach plate for Jabara, you'll see four runways all in a sort of a line, from Jabara in the south, to Mc Connell in the north, Cessna and Beech being in the middle.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sardak

bosshawk

Some folks have short memories: a few months back, a USAF crew landed a C-17 on a very short runway in the Tampa, Florida area.  They mistook it for McDill AFB, which is nearby and has a runway on the same heading.

Same sort of thing probably happens more often than the press ever knows.  CNN reported the 6101 ft runway as being a "tiny airport".  Wish I had that problem: our runway is 3300.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

jeders

I'm a little surprised no one posted this sooner.

Quote from: bosshawk on November 22, 2013, 07:13:36 AM
Some folks have short memories: a few months back, a USAF crew landed a C-17 on a very short runway in the Tampa, Florida area.  They mistook it for McDill AFB, which is nearby and has a runway on the same heading.

That was my first thought when I heard about this. Also, as was the case in that incident, a relief crew was brought in to move the Dreamlifter from Jabara to McConell.

QuoteSame sort of thing probably happens more often than the press ever knows. 

I would say it probably happens on a weekly, if not daily, basis somewhere in the country with GA.

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Storm Chaser

sardak

QuoteI'm a little surprised no one posted this sooner.

That incident is on the list I linked to 4 posts back, prior to bosshawk's post.

July 20, 2012 - An Air Force C-17, bound for MacDill Air Force Base, mistakenly lands at Peter O. Knight Field (TPF).

Mike

LTC Don

Quote from: sardak on November 22, 2013, 05:18:08 PM
QuoteI'm a little surprised no one posted this sooner.

That incident is on the list I linked to 4 posts back, prior to bosshawk's post.

July 20, 2012 - An Air Force C-17, bound for MacDill Air Force Base, mistakenly lands at Peter O. Knight Field (TPF).

Mike

And, here is a video of that rather impressive C-17 takeoff; check out the engine nacelles during runup:
C-17 Lands at small commuter airport by accident

Here is a vid of the Dreamlifter takeoff from Jabara:
Boeing Dreamlifter Takeoff Jabara Airport Wichita KS

The physics of flight never cease to amaze me.  A discovery and perfection just as important as the wheel.  8)
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

bosshawk

Just keep in mind that the most important thing that enables an aircraft to fly is:     MONEY.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

PHall

Quote from: bosshawk on November 24, 2013, 01:39:45 AM
Just keep in mind that the most important thing that enables an aircraft to fly is:     MONEY.

And paperwork...

nmkaufman0

McConnell AFB isn't far from Wichita, so I guess stuff happens.
C/A1C Nathaniel Mark Kaufman
Thunderbolt Composite Squadron

Shortline

If interested, here's a link to a site that has the livestock.net recording of the comm between the 747 and McConnel. http://jalopnik.com/listen-to-a-747-pilot-realize-he-doesnt-know-where-the-1468904282

Edit to add-sorry, didn't realize it was already posted....carry on!
Safety First, Excellence Always

sardak

Southwest jet bound for Branson lands at wrong airport

And here is the explanation from the carrier for the Dreamlifter landing at the wrong place (the event that prompted this thread).
The 747 remained on autopilot until passing the initial approach fix [for McConnell], at which time the flying pilot saw a brightly lit runway slightly to his left, which seemed to match what he was searching for.

Believing the aircraft was too high to land safely, the flying pilot disconnected the autopilot and increased the rate of descent toward what he thought was 19L at McConnell but was in fact Runway 18 at Jabara. The pilot monitoring was uncertain about the runway's identity, but remained silent.

Mike