UPS A300 Crash - Birmingham

Started by a2capt, August 14, 2013, 06:44:53 PM

a2capt

QuoteWitness Peter Torres, a Civil Air Patrol member who said he is a former airline mechanic, said he thought he heard what sounded like a backfire from the jet's engines as the plane passed overhead. He rushed to his window."I saw the flash," of an apparent explosion, he said, followed by a "boom" that shook his home.
With that, and the other comments in the article, it sounds like it was too low and unable to maintain an approach to the endzone. Though nothing with ATC indicates a problem. :(

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/14/us/alabama-cargo-plane-crash/index.html

The NTSB will figure it out.

Brad

Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

stillamarine

As a Birmingham Police officer I'll just comment on the location. It was about a mile maybe from the airport in a field that the airport owns. Luckily no houses hit. I did not go to the scene. It is not the first accident we have has in this area. Weather was severely overcast. I'd be very interested in seeing the NTSB report when it comes out.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

stillamarine

What amuses me is that flight aware shows the flight as arrived.....about a little short.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Brad

Flightaware assumes a lot of their data I've found.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

a2capt

It's typical for some flight data to drop off within that proximity of the runway, so the computer closes the record as completed.

PHall

Quote from: stillamarine on August 14, 2013, 09:30:25 PM
As a Birmingham Police officer I'll just comment on the location. It was about a mile maybe from the airport in a field that the airport owns. Luckily no houses hit. I did not go to the scene. It is not the first accident we have has in this area. Weather was severely overcast. I'd be very interested in seeing the NTSB report when it comes out.

And now you know why there are "clear zones" at the ends of the runways at most airports. At least until the local city council grants a waiver to build in it.

Should be interesting to see what the black boxes have to say about this one.

Critical AOA

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

PHall

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 17, 2013, 03:36:43 PM
Or the orange ones.

No, they were pretty much black and charred when they pulled them out of that still smoking tail section.

MacGruff

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 17, 2013, 03:36:43 PM
Or the orange ones.

They are called "black boxes" but have been some sort of very bright orange for a long time now. The theory being that it would be easier to identify them this way. Of course, as the next poster pointed out, in this case, they were pretty charred.

Critical AOA

Actually they are called the Cockpit Voice Recorder and the Flight Data Recorder or Digital Flight Data Recorder. 

There are dozens of black boxes on board commercial jets such as navigation & communication radios, air data computers, flight control computers, FADEC computers, auto pilot, GPS units, inertial nav units, and numerous others including black boxes for your Wi-Fi and other IFE.  They are indeed black in color. However, the two boxes that the NTSB is keen on finding and analyzing are none of these.  They are the two previously mentioned recorders which are actually orange.  The color they might end up being due to fire or heat damage is irrelevant to what they are.

The only people who call the two recorders black boxes are the media and the uneducated.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

PHall

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 17, 2013, 08:49:10 PM
Actually they are called the Cockpit Voice Recorder and the Flight Data Recorder or Digital Flight Data Recorder. 

There are dozens of black boxes on board commercial jets such as navigation & communication radios, air data computers, flight control computers, FADEC computers, auto pilot, GPS units, inertial nav units, and numerous others including black boxes for your Wi-Fi and other IFE.  They are indeed black in color. However, the two boxes that the NTSB is keen on finding and analyzing are none of these.  They are the two previously mentioned recorders which are actually orange.  The color they might end up being due to fire or heat damage is irrelevant to what they are.

The only people who call the two recorders black boxes are the media and the uneducated.

And the guys who fly on the airplanes that have them, like me.

And you're semi-right, if we needed to refer to one box or the other then we would refer to the box we're talking about, i.e. DFR, CVR.
But if we were talking about both of them them the term "Black Boxes" was usually used.

At least that's how we did it at the 452d AMW on the C-141C's.

YMMV