Mission Pilot Go Bag

Started by simon, June 09, 2010, 05:53:32 AM

simon

What belongs in a mission pilot's go bag?

I have seen postings on go bags for various roles, but I am interested in the mission pilot role. Please advise if there is a link.

It would be nice if budding Mission Pilots, or any aircrew position for that matter, could reference somewhere for this.

I don't see an official CAP document recommending anything.  Again, if I have missed something, a link will suffice.

If not, can I start by suggesting we break this down into "Required", "Standard" and "Nice To Have"? Everyone will have their preferences, but some will opt for the basics and some for the laundry list. I am thinking, what would you have in the trunk of your car (If you care to be truly on call) or in the closet at home (If not).

Examples in each category:

"Required" (Can't fly as an MP without it)
Flight Suit
Pilot Certificate

"Typical" (Almost every MP would have it)
Spare headset batteries
Kneeboard

"Nice To Have" (Depends. IMC? Mountains etc.)
Handheld Transceiver
Space blanket

I'm just looking for information from experienced MP's. Now let's not all get into an twist about whether a current sectional is required to fly or whether a headset is "required" or "typical", but of course it is going to be in the list somewhere. I'm more interested in the "Nice to Have" category, whether MP's do actually carry the roadmaps or expect the Observers to have one etc.

The list could be quite long and heavy. I'm thinking about two bags - one for the nice to have's.

Eclipse

"Required" (Can't fly as an MP without it)
Flight Suit CAP Uniform
Pilot Certificate
CAP ID Card
101 Card

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

"Flight Suit" - Some regions/wings/etc may have a supplement that requires it. Just because "you" are not effected by a supplement, does not mean I am not or vice-versa.

JC004

Just cross them both off and put "Warm socks"

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on June 09, 2010, 07:11:24 AM
"Flight Suit" - Some regions/wings/etc may have a supplement that requires it. Just because "you" are not effected by a supplement, does not mean I am not or vice-versa.

I have no idea where Simon is from.

The first category is "required" - a uniform is for everyone, a flight suit is not.

"That Others May Zoom"

jayleswo

Quote from: simon on June 09, 2010, 05:53:32 AM

Here are most of the things in my flight bag and mission kit (I am a SAR/DR MP and also an Observer so some overlap)

Required

• Flight Guide (printed 5 1/2 x 4.25 in a small binder, printed from the NESA web site). 
  • CAPR 60-1, Wing Supplement, new squawk procedure, Wing Supplement to 62-2
  • Gridded sectionals
  • CAPF 108, CAPF 104a, b and c and other mission forms
  • Survival kit/vest
  • Becker DF manual
  • Usual pilot stuff (charts, kneeboard, headset, flight computer, screwdriver, handheld VHF-AM transceiver, etc.)

Typical

• AFD
  • Jepp charts and approach plates
  • Flight Plan forms
  • POH
  • Barf Bags

Nice-to-have

• Road Maps (Delorme,  AAA, etc)
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

simon

Thanks jayleswo, this is the kind of thing I was looking for.

For the others, regarding "Flight Suit" vs. "CAP Uniform", I am in the CAWG. This has been an issue of debate in our wing for a while. There was a supplement at one point. I do not know if it is still active. However, basically on a transport mission, grey pants / blue polo is okay. But I've never seen any crew member in CAWG during a SAREX in anything other than the AF Flight Suit or the dark blue CAP Flight Suit.

vento

In CAWG, we can only get out of the pickle suit (or blue bag) when specifically requested by our "customer". Funny, we do things differently in CAWG.  :angel:

ßτε

Quote from: vento on June 09, 2010, 03:56:45 PM
In CAWG, we can only get out of the pickle suit (or blue bag) when specifically requested by our "customer". Funny, we do things differently in CAWG.  :angel:
Do you have a reference for this?

EMT-83

Has there ever been a topic posted that didn't turn onto a uniform thread?

davidsinn

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 09, 2010, 05:06:26 PM

Once, long ago. I think it was a Tuesday. It didn't last long.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

vento

Quote from: bte on June 09, 2010, 05:02:05 PM
Quote from: vento on June 09, 2010, 03:56:45 PM
Do you have a reference for this?

Good point, I can't find it now. I just went to the suplements and all the new suplement says is about the orange shirt! I remeber during my initial training as air crew I read that we have to wear the Nomex flight suit (not the cotton utility suit), all leather boots, etc, etc. We were excempt from the flight suit when "customer" request, such as a CD mission. Perhaps things have changed again and my knowledge is now obsolete. I guess dementia is catching up with me too...

vento

Quote from: jayleswo on June 09, 2010, 02:33:34 PM
Quote from: simon on June 09, 2010, 05:53:32 AM

Here are most of the things in my flight bag and mission kit (I am a SAR/DR MP and also an Observer so some overlap)

Required

• Flight Guide (printed 5 1/2 x 4.25 in a small binder, printed from the NESA web site). 
  • CAPR 60-1, Wing Supplement, new squawk procedure, Wing Supplement to 62-2
  • Gridded sectionals
  • CAPF 108, CAPF 104a, b and c and other mission forms
  • Survival kit/vest
  • Becker DF manual
  • Usual pilot stuff (charts, kneeboard, headset, flight computer, screwdriver, handheld VHF-AM transceiver, etc.)

Typical

• AFD
  • Jepp charts and approach plates
  • Flight Plan forms
  • POH
  • Barf Bags

Nice-to-have

• Road Maps (Delorme,  AAA, etc)

Quote from: simon on June 09, 2010, 03:22:43 PM
Thanks jayleswo, this is the kind of thing I was looking for.

For the others, regarding "Flight Suit" vs. "CAP Uniform", I am in the CAWG. This has been an issue of debate in our wing for a while. There was a supplement at one point. I do not know if it is still active. However, basically on a transport mission, grey pants / blue polo is okay. But I've never seen any crew member in CAWG during a SAREX in anything other than the AF Flight Suit or the dark blue CAP Flight Suit.

Last page of CAWG "Safety" supplement has a list of "Mandatory" as well as "Suggested" survival gear depending on the type of mission. Check it out, it may be useful to you preparing your "Ready bag".
http://cawg.cap.gov/Files/Supplements/CAWG62-1.pdf

Eeyore

indygreg

Quote from: davidsinn on June 09, 2010, 05:09:06 PM

That's funny!

davidsinn

Quote from: indygreg on June 10, 2010, 01:09:29 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on June 09, 2010, 05:09:06 PM

That's funny!

I've been throwing some zingers out lately. None of them are my own. I steal from funnier people ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

dbaran

If it's an ELT mission: Delorme or equivalent so you have something in common with the ground guys if you have to steer them somewhere, a handheld air band radio so you can find the offending ELT when you figure out the ELT is on an airport, a cell phone so you can call the IC, and something to do for the 2 hours while you're waiting for the airplane owner to drive out to the airport to shut down his ELT.

If it is a search involving a mission base, add something to keep you busy like a good book.  You will most likely be waiting for assignment, debriefs, etc., and there's nothing more annoying to base staff than whining pilots that didn't bring their Nintendo to keep them busy while the single AOBD is working with the 10 other aircrews.

a2capt

Well, it's always nice to have the "other guy's" kind of maps or charts, so you both can talk relevant language to each other and/or understand why something may not be possible to the other part of the team.

simon

thanks for the survival kit list vento!

Gunner C

I saw the survival kit list for CAWG.  Pretty good list.  One thing I'd suggest is that you separate it into crew survival equipment (strapped down in the AC) and personal equipment.  You can only rely on what's on your person.  A vest is a good investment.  One of my guys was upside down in an aircraft after it stopped.  He smelled avgas leaking and released the restraints and got himself and the pilot out.  He never thought about grabbing his vest that was somewhere in back of him in the cockpit.  He said that he'd never fly without his vest on again.

• The batteries never run down (in daylight).  Even in hazy conditions, a signal mirror can be seen for miles.  Don't scrimp - get a real one
  • Carry water with you, but don't expect a container of water to survive a high-G event that you can still survive.  Carry an empty water bladder.  You can find a source of water and fill it up.  Water purification tabs are good, a small high-end filter is better
  • Carry two bandages - a large abdominal bandage and a smaller, regular size.  If you're bleeding and can't stop it, the rest of your equipment doesn't matter.
  • Always  wear what will keep you alive on the ground after you're hurt.  Protection from the elements is key whether it's hot or cold, wet or dry.  People die of exposure much quicker when they've been exposed to physical trauma.  A golf shirt won't help much.