The proper wear of CAP ribbons

Started by AlphaSigOU, September 30, 2007, 04:37:30 PM

Eclipse

Most CAP members only wear 3 across, overlapping the pocket may be authorized, but it looks "off".

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

From what it looks like, with your rack, you should just go to 3 across.  Since only have two ribbons hanging off in the "4" positions, and only one on top, you aren't going to gain any height on the rack.

It should solve your issue.
Paramedic
hang-around.

jimmydeanno

Yep, I'd switch to 3-across.  I'm sporting 22 ribbons, GTL & Observer wings without any problem.  I'm also wearing a 38R jacket, so it isn't because I have a huge chest... ;)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

manfredvonrichthofen

How are you wearing 22 ribbons GTL and Observer wings if they are three in a row?

Eclipse

a 7+1 rack, not all that uncommon for cadets.

or

Seniors have the advantage of being able to short-stack.  I would personally suggest picking the top 3-4 military decorations
and then stick to CAP awards.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

The thing is though, jimmydeano isn't a cadet, his profile says he is 28. So 22 ribbons Observer wings and a GT badge (especially one with a star on it) would not fit inside the prescribed area. Or are you using your dad's profile jimmy? If so, no problem, I was just wondering if the reg has changed since the 39-1 or if I am missing something.

Eclipse

Here's 23 with plenty of room to spare...

Lt. Gen. Mark Welsh III

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

20 With plenty of room.

(adjusted photos due to inability to count)

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

To bad our VC's wings are above the top notched portion of the collar...  >:D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Eclipse

Quote from: NCRblues on December 11, 2010, 06:07:39 AM
To bad our VC's wings are above the top notched portion of the collar...

OK...

It does appear to say that:
CAP Aviation Badges and Specialty Insignia: Highly polished, worn centered 1/2 inch above ribbons. 
All ribbons and devices must fall below the top edge of the notched collar. 
5. Ribbons:  (required) Worn centered above left breast welt, resting on but not over top edge with 3 or 4
in a row.  Wear all or some.  All ribbons and devices must fall below the top notch of the collar.
6. Military Aviation Badges: Highly polished, worn 1/2 inch above ribbons on left breast and 1/2 inch
below CAP aviation badge.

And as per usual is more confusing than necessary, referring to "badges" as "devices" (why?).

So...

If you troll Google you will see wings and other all over the place above the notch, including the 4-star above, who you would assume has
an adjutant, etc., to configure his uniform, so is this something which is just ignored?  I think every Phase IV cadet I have ever seen
is violating this, in fact I don't know how they wouldn't and still be able to wear "all".

"That Others May Zoom"

flyboy53

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 10, 2010, 08:44:37 PM
Does anyone know the trick to make the jacket lay flatter when you are wearing a four across ribbon rack?

If you look at the left side of my Service Jacket you can see that it is held up from my chest by the rack. Does anyone know how to fix that?

You should have just left it at rows of three.

That would give you five full rows. In the future, I'd recommend that you check out places like Ultra Thin Ribbons or Medals for America and have your rack custom made. Ultra Thin's ribbons are on a plastic back and mounted with single minature medal bars. The plastic flexes with the form of your chest and would lay flat.

Another suggestion, should you chose to do so, would be to only wear the highest PD ribbon you achieve. You are already only wearing your highest cadet award.

I have 17 CAP ribbons and 14 AF ribbons. That would make 31 total. That ribbon bar was pretty expensive and I really didn't like the image it presented, so I scaled back considerably...but it would be your personal choice.

The one curious thing I've noticed in some of the CAP photos is that I thought you weren't supposed to have anything above the notch of the lapel and that rule seems to be disregarded, especially by our National Vice Commader...I also note, however, he's not wearing all of his AF stuff. There's at least one full row of ribbons missing.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 11, 2010, 03:18:21 AM
The thing is though, jimmydeano isn't a cadet, his profile says he is 28. So 22 ribbons Observer wings and a GT badge (especially one with a star on it) would not fit inside the prescribed area. Or are you using your dad's profile jimmy? If so, no problem, I was just wondering if the reg has changed since the 39-1 or if I am missing something.

Dude, please.  I have more times around the sun in CAP than... :P  I am indeed 28.

Maybe it's the cut of my service coat or something. Maybe they cut the lapel a little higher and the pocket ended up a smidge lower.  But, I am able to do it, with the coat I have, and still be in regs.  With a difference of an inch and a half (rows of ribbons between yours and mine) I'd imagine they'd fit alright, no?

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

NCRblues

Quote from: Eclipse on December 11, 2010, 07:03:15 AM
Quote from: NCRblues on December 11, 2010, 06:07:39 AM
To bad our VC's wings are above the top notched portion of the collar...

OK...

It does appear to say that:
CAP Aviation Badges and Specialty Insignia: Highly polished, worn centered 1/2 inch above ribbons. 
All ribbons and devices must fall below the top edge of the notched collar. 
5. Ribbons:  (required) Worn centered above left breast welt, resting on but not over top edge with 3 or 4
in a row.  Wear all or some.  All ribbons and devices must fall below the top notch of the collar.
6. Military Aviation Badges: Highly polished, worn 1/2 inch above ribbons on left breast and 1/2 inch
below CAP aviation badge.

And as per usual is more confusing than necessary, referring to "badges" as "devices" (why?).

So...

If you troll Google you will see wings and other all over the place above the notch, including the 4-star above, who you would assume has
an adjutant, etc., to configure his uniform, so is this something which is just ignored?  I think every Phase IV cadet I have ever seen
is violating this, in fact I don't know how they wouldn't and still be able to wear "all".

I agree its confusing, that's kind of why i pointed it out. If you also look at 39-1 cadets don't have to follow the top notch collar thing.....weird.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

manfredvonrichthofen

Wow you got lucky... I don't have anywhere near that much room between my pocket and the top notch of my lapel. I'm very jealous. And I wear a 38R.

caphornbuckle

From what I understand, the Air Force doesn't have to comply with the "top notch" rule.  Can anyone clarify if this is correct?

I seem to recall not too long ago of this and that CAP was looking to get rid of this rule as well.  Can't cite where I saw it but it was a CAP publication.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

HGjunkie

Quote from: caphornbuckle on December 12, 2010, 01:37:35 AM
From what I understand, the Air Force doesn't have to comply with the "top notch" rule.  Can anyone clarify if this is correct?

I seem to recall not too long ago of this and that CAP was looking to get rid of this rule as well.  Can't cite where I saw it but it was a CAP publication.

Quote from: AF Uniform Manual
Air Force members are highly encouraged to wear their current occupational badge. Aeronautical
and chaplain badges are mandatory, others are optional. Wear only mid-size or regular badges, do
not mix sizes. Center aeronautical, occupational, or miscellaneous badge 1/2- inch above the top
row of ribbons. Center additional badge 1/2- inch above first one. Center duty or miscellaneous
badge 1 1/2 inches below top of welt pocket and centered, and/or on right side centered 1 1/2 inch
below the nametag. Center a third badge 1/2 inch above the name tag. No more than 4 badges
will be worn at one time. This includes Command Insignia. EXCEPTIONS: Missile badge is
only worn 1/2 inches below top of welt pocket and centered. Excellence-In-Competition badge is
worn centered on the welt pocket.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

caphornbuckle

Quote from: HGjunkie on December 12, 2010, 01:42:56 AM
Quote from: caphornbuckle on December 12, 2010, 01:37:35 AM

Quote from: AF Uniform Manual
Air Force members are highly encouraged to wear their current occupational badge. Aeronautical
and chaplain badges are mandatory, others are optional. Wear only mid-size or regular badges, do
not mix sizes. Center aeronautical, occupational, or miscellaneous badge 1/2- inch above the top
row of ribbons. Center additional badge 1/2- inch above first one. Center duty or miscellaneous
badge 1 1/2 inches below top of welt pocket and centered, and/or on right side centered 1 1/2 inch
below the nametag. Center a third badge 1/2 inch above the name tag. No more than 4 badges
will be worn at one time. This includes Command Insignia. EXCEPTIONS: Missile badge is
only worn 1/2 inches below top of welt pocket and centered. Excellence-In-Competition badge is
worn centered on the welt pocket.

This means I can assume that since the notch isn't mentioned than it's not an issue with the AF?
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

HGjunkie

Quote from: caphornbuckle on December 12, 2010, 02:36:41 AM
This means I can assume that since the notch isn't mentioned than it's not an issue with the AF?
That's what my understanding is.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

PHall

It's not an issue with the Air Force. The notch rule is a CAP invention.

And the way it's written in the 39-1, it only applies to your ribbons and devices. Wings and badges are not mentioned.