The proper wear of CAP ribbons

Started by AlphaSigOU, September 30, 2007, 04:37:30 PM

MIKE

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 17, 2010, 10:28:30 PM
Quote from: MIKE on November 17, 2010, 10:21:26 PM
I have two racks set up...
One with all 4
and one with my top 3

You have a rack with 4 and one with 3 and the difference of 1 ribbon is "low key" or not?   :o

Like I said... top 3 is the Coast Guard none.  All the admirals are doing it.  ;D

Quote from: BradM on November 17, 2010, 10:41:59 PMDoes anyone ever wear the officer's service cap with their short sleeve shirt? Or is that more a Navy style? Like in the t.v. show JAG I see it all the time that way.

This is another one of those, you can but you really shouldn't things.  Goes along with the no ribbons on the shirt custom.
Mike Johnston

tsrup

The way I see it, its called a "service cap" and it goes with the "service coat".

Paramedic
hang-around.

MIKE

Probably better off with the flight cap even then... It's simply not the custom.
Mike Johnston

tsrup

Quote from: MIKE on November 17, 2010, 11:26:41 PM
Probably better off with the flight cap even then... It's simply not the custom.

I agree, the flight cap is much more comfortable and most times I wear just that, but as with most things sometimes it just depends on the situation.
Paramedic
hang-around.

BradM

Quote from: tsrup on November 17, 2010, 11:29:09 PM

I agree, the flight cap is much more comfortable and most times I wear just that, but as with most things sometimes it just depends on the situation.

:) I thought the proper location of the flight cap was on your belt at your side? j/k

So it looks like the service cap with the short sleeve shirt is a Navy tradition?
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

tsrup

Quote from: BradM on November 17, 2010, 11:32:07 PM
Quote from: tsrup on November 17, 2010, 11:29:09 PM

:) I thought the proper location of the flight cap was on your belt at your side? j/k

So it looks like the service cap with the short sleeve shirt is a Navy tradition?

partially because some uniforms only have the combo cover prescribed, so it's more widely used.  Not to mention short sleeve khaki's and summer whites are a complete uniform without a "service coat".
Paramedic
hang-around.

Chappie

Quote from: BradM on November 17, 2010, 06:41:21 PM
How many of you wear your ribbons when you just wear your short sleeve or long sleeve AF blue shirt?  I am getting advice in my squadron that in the "Air Force culture" officers don't wear their ribbons on their shirts, just their aviation and specialty badges. Yet, when I just went to the Wing Conference in Santa Maria California 80% of officers wearing the AF uniform with just the shirt wore their ribbons. So I am wondering what most members do in CAP? Thank you :)

I am one that keeps with the AF culture (with the exception of graduation at encampment) where I wear no ribbons on the shirt.   I hate to poke holes in a shirt -- besides our CCRSC is held on USAF bases and I often interact with USAF Chaplains....so I only wear ribbons on the service coat.   But for encampment graduation -- I go with CAP culture and wear the ribbons (have a shirt dsignated for that).
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

James Shaw

I dont wear ribbons unless it is on the service jacket.
I only wear the service jacket at the NB or local Conference.
I wear all ribbons and only 1 specialty badge.
I wear my Observer Wings on the short sleeves and service jacket.
I do not mix my ad with CAP anymore at all on either combination.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Major Carrales

I wear the service cap with short sleeve shirt and ribbons in the summer (because that is how the cadets will wear them), service cap with long sleeved shirt with light weight blue jacket in the winter.  The service coat for representing CAP to other organizations, when meeting with government officials and for our various presentations.  I usually don't wear ribbons on long sleeves unless some degree of formality calls for it.

I wear my fight cap with my flight suit, when call to wear one, a patrol CAP with bdus, unless we have squadron baseball caps.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

manfredvonrichthofen

Shirt, strictly badges and flight cap.
Service Jacket, badges and ribbons and service cap.

That being said, I don't see why some think it's bad to mix your AD badges with CAP badges.

Major Carrales

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 26, 2010, 12:03:04 AM
That being said, I don't see why some think it's bad to mix your AD badges with CAP badges.

I see no problem with that. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

Given the limited opportunities to wear my ribbons, I wear them when I have the chance, i.e. when the aviator shirt is appropriate, and the polo shirt isn't.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

Because far too many members ignore the four badge and location rules when mixing military and CAP badges.

James Shaw

I don't think it is a bad idea. I used to wear them all when I first joined. My chain of command prefers for me to wear the CAP stuff only. Especially the ribbons.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

manfredvonrichthofen

In regards to the placement and number ob badges on the uniform, I only wear two on the blues according to reg. I wear three on my BDU, upon gaining my fourth, I do not know where it should be placed. I know many USAF and Army wear their fourth on their pocket flap, but where should you on the USAF style BDU for CAP? If all four are worn above the CAP tape then you wouldnt be able to see the fourth at all because it would be completely obstructed by the collar.

PHall

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 26, 2010, 09:28:17 PM
In regards to the placement and number ob badges on the uniform, I only wear two on the blues according to reg. I wear three on my BDU, upon gaining my fourth, I do not know where it should be placed. I know many USAF and Army wear their fourth on their pocket flap, but where should you on the USAF style BDU for CAP? If all four are worn above the CAP tape then you wouldnt be able to see the fourth at all because it would be completely obstructed by the collar.

Okay, I'm calling BS on this one. Pics or it didn't happen.

manfredvonrichthofen

]http://captalk.net/MGalleryItem.php?id=311

I couldn't find any with four but they use the same format for three. Nice try calling BS... When you have been around the military as long as I have, not much slips past when it comes to uniforms.

lordmonar

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 27, 2010, 01:14:26 AM
]http://captalk.net/MGalleryItem.php?id=311

I couldn't find any with four but they use the same format for three. Nice try calling BS... When you have been around the military as long as I have, not much slips past when it comes to uniforms.

Well I got to call BS on your pic.

from 36-2903
Quote2. Air Force members are highly encouraged to wear their current occupational badge. Aeronautical
and chaplain badges are mandatory, others are optional. Center subdued embroidered badge
(aeronautical, occupational, or miscellaneous) 1/2 inch above US AIR FORCE tape. Center additional
badge 1/2 inch above the first badge. A third badge (duty or miscellaneous) may be worn
on lower portion of left pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and bottom of
pocket, this includes Missile and Excellence-In-Competition badges.[/qouote]
The badge on the pocket flap is not authorised.

Nor is the Black on green jump wings.

Just goes to show you that USAF personnel can get it wrong at well.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: lordmonar on November 27, 2010, 01:48:08 AM

from 36-2903
Quote2. Air Force members are highly encouraged to wear their current occupational badge. Aeronautical
and chaplain badges are mandatory, others are optional. Center subdued embroidered badge
(aeronautical, occupational, or miscellaneous) 1/2 inch above US AIR FORCE tape. Center additional
badge 1/2 inch above the first badge. A third badge (duty or miscellaneous) may be worn
on lower portion of left pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and bottom of
pocket, this includes Missile and Excellence-In-Competition badges.[/qouote]

Ok, so how does that make the pic of the USAF uniform BS?
may be worn
pocket, this includes Missile and Excellence-In-Competition badges

So it says that one CAN be worn on the pocket. It doesn't say what badges are ONLY authorized, is just gives a couple of inclusions as to what to put on the pocket.

PHall

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 27, 2010, 01:54:53 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on November 27, 2010, 01:48:08 AM

from 36-2903
pocket, this includes Missile and Excellence-In-Competition badges.

Ok, so how does that make the pic of the USAF uniform BS?
may be worn
pocket, this includes Missile and Excellence-In-Competition badges

So it says that one CAN be worn on the pocket. It doesn't say what badges are ONLY authorized, is just gives a couple of inclusions as to what to put on the pocket.

The only badges that can be worn on the pocket itself are the Security Forces Badge, Firefighter Badge and the Missile Badges.

And the reg is pretty clear, nothing on the flap, period.

The cop that owns that shirt is going to have to make a decision, which badge to lose?
Amazingly enough, the speciality qualification badge (the one on the pocket flap) is not a required wear item, it's just encouraged.