what happens at a bivouac?

Started by Kayll'b, February 17, 2020, 07:31:21 PM

Kayll'b

Hey, my squadron is planning on having a bivouac, but all I know about bivouacs is camping.
What else happens a a bivouac?

C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

Squadron Cadet Leadership officer

GCAC Recorder

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

What happens is what you planned.
What "kind" of bivouac are you doing? Training, fun, both?
You can do ES, survival, whatever your unit wants to do.
Out here in Southern California we go out to the desert to one of the dry lakes and launch model rockets.
It's all up to what you want to do.

Spam

Hi, Kayll'b.

The term "bivouac" only means to camp out.  Some people in CAP take it to mean ES exclusively, but that's its true meaning. CAP often has a SAREX (Search and Rescue Exercise) or a DREX (Disaster Relief Exercise) both of which are numbered AFAMs, or some other event like a unit-level FTX (Field Training Exercise) or rocketry or astronomy training...

... at which members bivouac (verb) or establish a bivouac (noun - a camp).

V/r
Spam

jhighman

I have been in units that have used bivouacs for phase I cadet training. These units used cohort recruiting methods so they would regularly have a modest class of incoming cadet basics. It also worked out that the previous class would be element leaders and mentors to the new class. It was a great way to get everyone in proper uniform, patches sewn properly, and discrepancies addressed in a supported counseled environment.

That isn't to say there weren't FTX-type bivouacs as well, just that they needn't always be about ES.

TheSkyHornet

Our annual FTX is a practical leadership training weekend where we have different challenge scenarios based around a military-style operational deployment. The intent is to get cadet officers to apply what they have learned up to this point in an officer role; the same for NCOs; the same for airmen.