Shoulder Cords on BDU

Started by JesusFreak, April 10, 2008, 11:11:24 PM

JesusFreak

In my squadron, one of my friends told me that you could wear the shoulder cord you receive by being on the Color Guard not only on your Blues and Service Coat but also on your BDUs. Does anyone here know if it's true? I've looked at CAPM 39-1 and it says nothing. If anyone knows, please post. I want to get this rumor figured out ASAP.

P.S. I am on Color Guard, just to let you know.
C/SMSGT Ruben A. Cruz-Colon
NCS(Nellis Composite Squadron) NV-069

DC

NO! Shoulder Cords, ribbons, badges and any other form of uniform bling besides patches are not authorized on BDUs. If it is not in 39-1 or an ICL don't do it.

stillamarine

There is something out there that allows the cord to be worn with BLUES only outside of Honor Guard activities. Have to go to work will look in the morning if no one finds it before then.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

JesusFreak

Quote from: DC on April 10, 2008, 11:17:03 PM
NO! Shoulder Cords, ribbons, badges and any other form of uniform bling besides patches are not authorized on BDUs. If it is not in 39-1 or an ICL don't do it.
It's just that my friend told me and I wanted to make sure. Thanks! But he also told me that you can wear just upside down, if you can wear it though. I really thought you could wear it. And sorry for asking such a dumb question. I just wanted to make sure.

lordmonar

Why not ask your DCC or your commander.

And the answer is yes you can wear cords on BDU...as 39-1 does not specify which uniform you can wear them on you can assume that you can wear them on all of them.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MIKE

I don't recall anything concrete that said cords were restricted to service uniform only... Only thing you can point to is an illustration IIRC.

Also, I am editing the title of this thread to be a bit more in line with the subject.
Mike Johnston

MIKE

Mike Johnston

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: DC on April 10, 2008, 11:17:03 PM

Would you please provide a cite from any regulation that says which uniform shoulder cords can be worn with.

O-Rex

WHY    WOULD   YOU   WANT   TO   DO   THAT???!!!!

Pylon

Quote from: O-Rex on April 11, 2008, 01:33:46 AM
WHY    WOULD   YOU   WANT   TO   DO   THAT???!!!!

All shouting aside, the Air Force has Airmen wearing shoulder cords on their BDUs in BMT.

While you may think it looks ridiculous, it is a convenient way within the regulations to easily identify key staff positions or other duties at large activities or in training environments.  People are so frequently making position identifiers and other doo-dads which don't comply with uniform regs to help identify key people at activities like an encampment... why not instead use something within the rules?  If it works for the AF, it can work for CAP.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

O-Rex

Shoulder cords on airmen at BMT are no different from full color rank brassards (now velcro patches) on Army BDU/ACU for trainee squad leaders, platoon sergeants, etc., used internally identify those in student leadership positions, and now an award per se.

By no means would such blingage be used as a general rule for CAP, USAF, or anywhere else.

shorning

Quote from: O-Rex on April 11, 2008, 01:55:32 AM
Shoulder cords on airmen at BMT are no different from full color rank brassards (now velcro patches) on Army BDU/ACU for trainee squad leaders, platoon sergeants, etc., used internally identify those in student leadership positions, and now an award per se.

By no means would such blingage be used as a general rule for CAP, USAF, or anywhere else.

Except at some Air Force Bases to designate members of the Honor Guard.  I also know of at least one base in the CENTCOM AOR that has their Honor Guard wearing desert colored cords (yes, in a deployed location!).  FWIW, the Air Force also uses them to identify student leaders in tech school.

JesusFreak

I ask you a question and you guys give me examples. Not to be mean, but do any of you understand the concept ATDQ(Answer The Darn Question)? Can we wear them is what I was really looking for.

CASH172

Quote from: JesusFreak on April 11, 2008, 02:14:47 AM
I ask you a question and you guys give me examples. Not to be mean, but do any of you understand the concept ATDQ(Answer The Darn Question)? Can we wear them is what I was really looking for.

Welcome to CAPTALK!

kpetersen

Quote from: PHall on April 11, 2008, 01:26:52 AM
Would you please provide a cite from any regulation that says which uniform shoulder cords can be worn with.
Quote from: CAPM 39-1
5-5. Shoulder Cords. Shoulder cords may be worn by cadets only to denote special honor positions or
may be authorized by the wing commander for special purpose activities (see Table 1-4). Not more than
one shoulder cord will be worn at one time, and it will be worn on the left shoulder (Figure 5-2).
Shoulder cords may be worn by cadets at all times. Shoulder cords will be worn along the shoulder
seam and fastened from the underneath, inside the shirt.

If cadets want to wear the shoulder cord, it looks like they would need to wear it inside their BDUs, since it says it should be fastened from the underneath, inside the shirt.  At least, I haven't seen any bdu's with epaulet holders sewn on them...:)
Kat Petersen, Maj, CAP

Maj Ballard

I consulted the Knowledge Base. In any answer regarding "shoulder cords," the following instruction is included:

Note: Shoulder cords are authorized with the service coat or the AF blue shirt only. The reference to cadets wearing the cords at all times refers to the previous policy that allowed color guards and drill teams to wear the cord only when performing. This clarification will be made in the first change to the manual.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

shorning

Quote from: kpetersen on April 11, 2008, 02:20:10 AM

If cadets want to wear the shoulder cord, it looks like they would need to wear it inside their BDUs, since it says it should be fastened from the underneath, inside the shirt. 

Then that would be true for all uniforms.

JesusFreak

Quote from: kpetersen on April 11, 2008, 02:20:10 AM
Quote from: PHall on April 11, 2008, 01:26:52 AM
Quote from: CAPM 39-1
5-5. Shoulder Cords. Shoulder cords may be worn by cadets only to denote special honor positions or
may be authorized by the wing commander for special purpose activities (see Table 1-4). Not more than
one shoulder cord will be worn at one time, and it will be worn on the left shoulder (Figure 5-2).
Shoulder cords may be worn by cadets at all times. Shoulder cords will be worn along the shoulder
seam and fastened from the underneath, inside the shirt.

If cadets want to wear the shoulder cord, it looks like they would need to wear it inside their BDUs, since it says it should be fastened from the underneath, inside the shirt.  At least, I haven't seen any bdu's with epaulet holders sewn on them...:)
Inside????? I quite don't understand. I think they should be worn the same way as the Service Coat, get a baby pin and push it in.

O-Rex

Quote from: shorning on April 11, 2008, 02:04:05 AM
Except at some Air Force Bases to designate members of the Honor Guard. 

For a historic precedent: the French Foreign Legion wears 19th Century Style green and red fringed epaulets on the camouflage fatigues on certain occasions:  doesn't mean they look any less ridiculous.

I would urge anyone who leads a uniformed organization, DOD, CAP or otherwise to seriously rethink the "Tactical High School Marching Band" look.