Different shade of ABU?

Started by SAREXinNY, May 07, 2016, 09:54:08 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on June 04, 2016, 05:58:20 PM
The USAF has a bunch of free uniforms.....that are perfectly serviceable....but no one wants to buy.   They offer them to us.....but no....that's not good enough.

Because that's how a 3rd-world country picks their uniform, not an auxiliary of the US Military?

The uniform should be scaled to the mission, not scaled to help a write-off.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

[censored]ing about free.

That's the problem.

Geezes guys.   The USAF does us a solid.  We help them out...they help us out.  Win Win. 

The old ABUs a okay.   They will not kill anyone.  They look good.  They are still wearable by the USAF.

AND THEY ARE FREE!

You don't want to be too hot.  You don't want to wear the old ABUs.  You don't have to wear them......you can always fork out $80 and get a new set of the current issue ABUs.

But let's not moan about costs now.  Let's not say "I wished the USAF just gave me the uniforms I wanted to wear".

Let's say thank you.....and move one.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on June 04, 2016, 08:07:26 PM

Sooo...

"no thank you, we're pursing a uniform that meets mission needs without being exclusionary of many of the adult members"...
...wasn't an option?

Just checking.

FYI - they aren't "free", we all paid for them, and a far better use would be to issue them to the USAF until they are worn out.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Great gravy if no one wants them I am sure I could find a use for them....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

SMWOG

And some of you people are in command postions...Oh my! ::)

majdomke

I think some people are missing the point. The twill version was never well received by the active folks because it was too hot, just one reason, so they finally wised up and issued something they won't overheat in, the RABU. Now they are left with millions of twill no one wants to buy and they won't issue. With the vochure system I proposed it would allow those of you in love with twill to get what you want and the rest of us can get the ripstop we want. If you need further evidence of how ill conceived the twill version was just read one of the many threads in the past when we had rumors of getting ABU back then. Many AD members posted how awful they were. Just look at the crazy prices on eBay for ABUs. Twill go for around $15-25/ea and the ripstop go for $30-60/ea.

Jester

It's not that big a deal. I spent years training in the Deep South with the first iteration of ABUs and body armor, weapons, ammo, helmets, etc. I wore them extensively in Haiti.  I never once saw a heat injury.  To say that people will suddenly start keeling over in droves because of a relatively small change in fabric is silly, to put it politely.

If someone becomes a heat casualty it will be because of something the member/cadet and leader should have been on top of from the beginning like hydration.

kwe1009

Quote from: Jester on June 05, 2016, 04:33:09 PM
It's not that big a deal. I spent years training in the Deep South with the first iteration of ABUs and body armor, weapons, ammo, helmets, etc. I wore them extensively in Haiti.  I never once saw a heat injury.  To say that people will suddenly start keeling over in droves because of a relatively small change in fabric is silly, to put it politely.

If someone becomes a heat casualty it will be because of something the member/cadet and leader should have been on top of from the beginning like hydration.

Also, you can "carefully" remove the inner lining to make the shirt lighter and a little cooler.

Jester

I don't even know if the map pockets were even a thing after the first generation. We were told we could cut them out pretty much immediately.  If I remember correctly we had somebody at alterations do it when the name tapes/badges/rank were sewn on. I don't remember doing or paying for any of it. I do have a set of twill from a year or two later that don't have map pockets.

kwe1009

Quote from: Jester on June 05, 2016, 05:44:46 PM
I don't even know if the map pockets were even a thing after the first generation. We were told we could cut them out pretty much immediately.  If I remember correctly we had somebody at alterations do it when the name tapes/badges/rank were sewn on. I don't remember doing or paying for any of it. I do have a set of twill from a year or two later that don't have map pockets.

The map pockets were never anything but stupid.  Just how may Air Force members needed a map pocket?  Between that and the crazy number of pen/pencil holders, I don't know what the designers were thinking, if anything.

PHall

Quote from: kwe1009 on June 05, 2016, 06:32:27 PM
Quote from: Jester on June 05, 2016, 05:44:46 PM

The map pockets were never anything but stupid.  Just how may Air Force members needed a map pocket?  Between that and the crazy number of pen/pencil holders, I don't know what the designers were thinking, if anything.

The pencil/pen holders on the arms and legs come in handy when you're wearing body armour.
Which is why they put them there...

Jester

I usually just put them on my gear in an admin pouch. The one on the arm annoyed me and would get caught up when I bent my elbow, and I never really cared for reaching to my ankle to get a pen.

The little sewn in pocket at the top button works fine otherwise.

kwe1009

Quote from: Jester on June 05, 2016, 07:26:09 PM
I never really cared for reaching to my ankle to get a pen.

That is where the tactical pen goes!

PHall

When the Air Force came up with the ABU, they copied the Army ACU pretty closely.
Which is why you have stuff like the knee and elbow reinforcements and the pen pockets on the sleeves and legs.
Stuff that the vast majority of Airmen will never need. But they're on there anyway...

Jester

Yeah, and anything that they actually wanted, like sleeve pockets, were vetoed. Because stripes so big they gave their own gravitational force pull equal AF heritage, and if Mr. Magoo cant tell you're a SNCO from across the parking lot, then what's the point?

At least the original blue tiger stripe didn't have lower blouse pockets and the option to tuck in, which had a practical purpose with a gunbelt.

Eclipse

Quote from: Jester on June 05, 2016, 10:55:36 PM
...sleeve pockets, were vetoed. Because stripes so big they gave their own gravitational force pull equal AF heritage, and if Mr. Magoo cant tell you're a SNCO from across the parking lot, then what's the point?

An interesting observation -

via Imgflip Meme Generator

"That Others May Zoom"

Toad1168

[censored]ing about free.

That's the problem.

Geezes guys.   The USAF does us a solid.  We help them out...they help us out.  Win Win. 

The old ABUs a okay.   They will not kill anyone.  They look good.  They are still wearable by the USAF.

AND THEY ARE FREE!

You don't want to be too hot.  You don't want to wear the old ABUs.  You don't have to wear them......you can always fork out $80 and get a new set of the current issue ABUs.

But let's not moan about costs now.  Let's not say "I wished the USAF just gave me the uniforms I wanted to wear".

Amen!  Throughout my tenure in CAP, The squadrons I have been with have always had supplies of uniforms on hand.  Me being a bit anal retentive, bought my own to ensure proper fit and new condition.  But that was a personal choice.  If they don't want the free ones, they can buy their own.  If not, take what is issued and stop complaining.
Toad

grunt82abn

Quote from: Eclipse on June 04, 2016, 08:16:20 PM

Sooo...

"no thank you, we're pursing a uniform that meets mission needs without being exclusionary of many of the adult members"...
...wasn't an option?

Just checking.

FYI - they aren't "free", we all paid for them, and a far better use would be to issue them to the USAF until they are worn out.

What is this so called uniform your pursuing for us adult members that meets mission needs and isn't exclusionary? I have only heard of ABU's or the Corporate Blue BDU, didn't know there was another uniform option being considered.   
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

Eclipse

Quote from: grunt82abn on June 06, 2016, 07:52:36 PM
What is this so called uniform your pursuing for us adult members that meets mission needs and isn't exclusionary? I have only heard of ABU's or the Corporate Blue BDU, didn't know there was another uniform option being considered.

There isn't, which is the point.

"That Others May Zoom"

grunt82abn

Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2016, 07:54:56 PM
Quote from: grunt82abn on June 06, 2016, 07:52:36 PM

There isn't, which is the point.

I'm missing the meaning of how the ABU doesn't meet mission needs and/or is exclusionary to adults members I guess.
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present