Are these CAP wings?

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, March 17, 2012, 04:20:42 AM

The CyBorg is destroyed

This officer in the Tennessee State Guard, Lt Col Arnold, is wearing what looks like CAP Pilot Wings, but I can't really tell since the picture is not "enlargeable."

I don't think any of his ribbons are CAP, though.

Is it common for State Defence Forces to allow the wear of CAP ribbons and devices?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Walkman

Quote from: CyBorg on March 17, 2012, 04:20:42 AM
Is it common for State Defence Forces to allow the wear of CAP ribbons and devices?

You can't even join the MI State Defense if you're in CAP (or CGAUX).

RogueLeader

They look like it to me. I do see that they aren't centered properly.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

I zoomed in on them in IE8, and couldn't tell one way or the other.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BTCS1*

Quote from: Walkman on March 17, 2012, 04:36:21 AM

You can't even join the MI State Defense if you're in CAP (or CGAUX).

Why is that?
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

Ed Bos

The Alaska State Defense Force allows members who have earned CAP badges to wear them as appropriate.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Walkman

Quote from: BTCS1* on March 17, 2012, 05:19:57 AM
Why is that?

From their regs:
3-3. PERSONS INELIGIBLE FOR ENLISTMENT.
D. Members of Other Military Forces. Individuals who are members of the Armed Services of the United States, their reserve or auxiliary components, or the state defense force of another state is not eligible for enlistment.

lordmonar

Quote from: Walkman on March 17, 2012, 01:08:21 PM
Why is that?

From their regs:
D. Members of Other Military Forces. Individuals who are members of the Armed Services of the United States, their reserve or auxiliary components, or the state defense force of another state is not eligible for enlistment.
He may be a former member of CAP.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: Walkman on March 17, 2012, 01:08:21 PM
Why is that?

From their regs:

In a way that makes sense. But on the other hand if they want to volunteer so be it. I know people who are CAP, CGAUX and SDF. 

SarDragon

SDF rules vary from state to state. What's allowed in, say, PA, might not be allowed in CA.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

I've active in SDF discussions and I never heard of any of them allowing CAP ribbons to be worn until Ed Bos piped up.

Also never heard of an SDF prohibiting membership to aux members.  Federal law prohibits membership by those in the reserves or NG, but Michigan is probably by itself in prohibiting auxies of any type from joining.  I'll ask about it on the SDF board.

Ed Bos

Quote from: RiverAux on March 17, 2012, 09:56:20 PM
I've active in SDF discussions and I never heard of any of them allowing CAP ribbons to be worn until Ed Bos piped up.
I don't know about the ribbons, but the badges are ok in AK.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Flying Pig

I thought the SDF was way cool until I realized it was volunteer! :'(  Still cool......but I only gots so much time....

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 18, 2012, 01:35:51 AM
I thought the SDF was way cool until I realized it was volunteer! :'(  Still cool......but I only gots so much time....

It is, but some of them are compensated if placed on State Duty by their Governor.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

jjmalott

Quote from: RiverAux on March 17, 2012, 09:56:20 PM

CAP ribbons are authorized for wear in the Indiana Guard Reserve.

Jeff Malott, Lt Col, CAP
National eLearning Coordinator

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: jjmalott on March 18, 2012, 02:38:30 AM

I guess that's why they're State Defence Forces...they can make regulations particular to the way they run their SDF and not have to take the standards of other SDF's into account; hence Michigan not allowing auxiliary components to enlist and others do.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

flyboy53

Quote from: CyBorg on March 18, 2012, 05:17:57 AM
Quote from: jjmalott on March 18, 2012, 02:38:30 AM

I guess that's why they're State Defence Forces...they can make regulations particular to the way they run their SDF and not have to take the standards of other SDF's into account; hence Michigan not allowing auxiliary components to enlist and others do.

I think it has more to do with the laws of the state and how CAP is viewed by State Guards. Kind of makes you a sense of pride to know that our organization is held to a such a high standard in some quarters that the insignia is allowed to be worn on a SDF uniform. The other badge he's wearing is the basic military emergency management badge. I've earned it, but can't wear it on our uniform.

The badge is offered by the State Guard Association of the US, which, by the way, we are entitled to join as CAP officers. More information is available here:

www.sgaus.org/

Cliff_Chambliss

Back on Subject:  They look like USAF Enlisted Aircrew Wings.

11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Hawk200

This officer in the Tennessee State Guard, Lt Col Arnold, is wearing what looks like CAP Pilot Wings, but I can't really tell since the picture is not "enlargeable."
They certainly look like it. Did a resize, and blown up a bit, it's a lot more obvious.

Looks like he's wearing a MEMS badge, too.

flyboy53

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on March 18, 2012, 01:30:05 PM
Back on Subject:  They look like USAF Enlisted Aircrew Wings.

Look again, these are Air Force aircrew wings. Those in the photo aren't even close.