So, can anyone answer why no military ribbons on CAP distinctive uniforms?

Started by bflynn, March 09, 2012, 02:33:29 AM

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

Quote from: bflynn on March 13, 2012, 03:19:15 AMSo why would anyone even waste time doing anything above a squadron or maybe wing level?

Because, while the squadron is the heart of CAP, above Wing is where policy and regulations are made.  There are likely any number of people at that level who would agree with you.

There is also a direct channel to the National Commander to ask questions which could be utilized.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

Quote from: Eclipse on March 14, 2012, 01:13:10 AM
Quote from: bflynn on March 13, 2012, 03:19:15 AMSo why would anyone even waste time doing anything above a squadron or maybe wing level?

Because, while the squadron is the heart of CAP, above Wing is where policy and regulations are made.  There are likely any number of people at that level who would agree with you.

There is also a direct channel to the National Commander to ask questions which could be utilized.

Some people think (and occasionally they are right) that they can make CAP better *FOR THE SQUADRONS* by serving at higher echelons.

Some people (imho wrongly) think that "bigger is better" and rush to the highest position of responsibility they can get to as soon as they can possibly get there.  combining that with a lack of people to fill upper echelon positions and you can see a LT with less than 2 years in CAP at a wing level directorate position...   ugh.  Wings also have a tendency to 'vacuum' the talented people up out of the units, which I think of primarily as a disservice to the unit in most cases.

Some people /WANT/ to play the nonsense games that ensue at 'echelons above reality', because that's what they enjoy doing.

Personally I /CHOOSE/ to stay at the squadron level for basically all of the reasons above.  I think I have the most impact on the real world missions of CAP at the local level, running a squadron cadet program, participating in a unit level ground team, and launching with a unit level aircrew.  I will do occasional project at wing+ level, but it's not my "primary" mode of operation, and won't be.

Private Investigator

Now I am not telling on anyone. But does anybody think that someplace in CAP a Unit may not be following regulations?

I will bet anybody that some place a Unit is letting its Senior Members wear military ribbons on a CAP distinctive uniform.   8)

Pylon

Quote from: Private Investigator on March 14, 2012, 09:30:27 AM
Now I am not telling on anyone. But does anybody think that someplace in CAP a Unit may not be following regulations?

I will bet anybody that some place a Unit is letting its Senior Members wear military ribbons on a CAP distinctive uniform.   8)

Not saying its right, but there are probably far more serious and prevalent problems to first be concerned with in CAP.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP