Main Menu

ABU and AFJROTC

Started by shoresfinest, January 29, 2012, 01:20:20 AM

shoresfinest

i know it's been beaten to death, but why is it that JROTC can get the ABU and CAP cant dont they ultimately report to the same people? i understand cap regs are different, but why does the USAF give AFJROTC a go on the use of the abu, and a no go/ indecisive decision? i am in both programs and know the vast differences, but this is slightly confusing, since its USAF that gives the go/no go on at least giving CAP the option whether national takes it or not

Cap'n

Do you know by chance if all AFJROTC units only use ABU's now, or if they still allow BDU's? I'm starting next year, and am a little curious.

shoresfinest

they still allow the BDU, but, they're slowly merging away from it, btw AFJROTC BDU regs and CAP BDU regs are slightly different

HGjunkie

You're right, this has been beaten to death. I think in the past 2 weeks there's been 4~5 threads about it. And I think 2 of them discuss this very question.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

PA Guy

AFJROTC doesn't have senior members like CAP.  CAP cadets aren't the problem in my opinion.

shoresfinest

AFJROTC does have SASI's and ASASI's  and whole air force active duty staff, but they have different view points then sm's

abdsp51

There is also a higher degree of accountability with JROTC as well and it brings in a degree of funding from Uncle Sam for the school district.  I know the schools here get federal funding if they have dependents enrolled.  And the ASIs, and AASIs are retired AF who should know how to conduct themselves.

Short Field

Quote from: shoresfinest on January 29, 2012, 02:14:08 AM
AFJROTC does have SASI's and ASASI's  and whole air force active duty staff, but they have different view points then sm's
SASIs are recently retired USAF Officers and ASASIs are recently retired USAF NCOs.  Both must meet body fat standards.  No comparison at all to CAP Senior Members.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

shoresfinest

they're actually semi-retired, they're in reserves, but cannot be activated for any on base duty other then JROTC related duties

abdsp51

Check your facts they are retired from AD AF or Reserves and it has only been within the past few years that Reserves have been allowed. And dependent on how long they have been retired they could be called back to active duty by an act of congress.  There is no semi retired or retired. 

Short Field

Quote from: shoresfinest on January 29, 2012, 02:31:00 AM
they're actually semi-retired, they're in reserves, but cannot be activated for any on base duty other then JROTC related duties
They are retired.  They draw their retired pay plus whatever the school district adds as an incentive.  The JROTC instructors I talked to expect to at least match their full active duty pay and some actually exceed it.  From the AFJROTC FAQs:  Officers who meet the following prerequisites may apply: Baccalaureate degree or higher from an accredited institution; permanently retired as an officer with at least 20 years of active duty; served last year of active duty as an officer;...
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

shoresfinest

regardless, can we move back to the main topic?

RogueLeader

Quote from: shoresfinest on January 29, 2012, 03:01:54 AM
regardless, can we move back to the main topic?

We have.  The search function is your friend.

Quote from: HGjunkie on January 29, 2012, 02:04:24 AM
You're right, this has been beaten to death. I think in the past 2 weeks there's been 4~5 threads about it. And I think 2 of them discuss this very question.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

The CyBorg is destroyed

This has been flogged to death...but it is an unfortunate, if unspoken, truism that between CAP and AFJROTC, AFJROTC is the favoured son.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on January 29, 2012, 07:41:54 AM
This has been flogged to death...but it is an unfortunate, if unspoken, truism that between CAP and AFJROTC, AFJROTC is the favoured son.

AFJROTC is an actual part of the Air Force. CAP is a civilian auxiliary and we're also a public corperation.

RiverAux

Quote from: PHall on January 29, 2012, 04:19:59 PM

AFJROTC is an actual part of the Air Force. CAP is a civilian auxiliary and we're also a public corperation.
True, but totally irrelevant.  Assuming that CAP continues the 70 year tradition of wearing AF-style uniforms, what is the logical basis for having different phase in times for AFJROTC and CAP? 

Extremepredjudice

Maybe we should do the evil brother thing and spoil AFJROTC's good name!   >:D
Destroy ma blue's favorite vase then plant it in AFJROTC's room.

CAP should've requested ABUs at the same time as AFJROTC. IMHO.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

abdsp51

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 29, 2012, 05:58:50 PM
Maybe we should do the evil brother thing and spoil AFJROTC's good name!   >:D
Destroy ma blue's favorite vase then plant it in AFJROTC's room.

CAP should've requested ABUs at the same time as AFJROTC. IMHO.

Yep. 

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on January 29, 2012, 05:09:34 PM
Quote from: PHall on January 29, 2012, 04:19:59 PM

True, but totally irrelevant.  Assuming that CAP continues the 70 year tradition of wearing AF-style uniforms, what is the logical basis for having different phase in times for AFJROTC and CAP?

AFJROTC has fewer layers of "decision makers" to go through. And they talk directly to the Holm Center-AU-AETC-HAF.
We have to decide to make the request in the first place, then route it up through CAP-USAF and then to Holm Center, etc...
Our biggest stumbling block is getting the request out of the CAP Corperation.

We didn't seem to have these problems before we "seperated" from the Air Force and became much more "Corperate".
Of course that was when National was staffed with AD Air Force personnel and DAF civilian employees too. ::)
There weren't any CAP Corperate employees back then.

abdsp51

I think the biggest thing that's been hit on is that a request has to be made.  Does anyone know if that has been done?  I know when the ABUs were first set to roll out we were going to have the option of tucking the blouse in due to the bottom pockets being removed.  Long story short that didn't happen along with some other things because "troops didn't like it".  I know the other thread there was the notice per DOD policy but exceptions can always be made to policy.