Medals to be worn on the dress blue uniform

Started by JArvey, December 08, 2010, 12:45:19 AM

Major Carrales

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 09, 2010, 05:02:13 AM
No one is saying that there is something wrong with a cadet wearing a rack that big, it is required that cadets wear ALL of their awards. Having a massive rack is just part of being a cadet that you can't avoid when you have any award over the Mitchell. There was no comment about a South American dictator, I would probably make that statement, but then again I was a cadet with a massive rack. If you want to make your way through as much of the CP as you possibly can, you will have a massive rack, there is just no getting around it.

We have been down the road I speak of many, many times...it comes in cycles.  Some posts and threads repeat so often one might yell "CONSPIRACY."

I could list some...
AMERICAN FLAG PATCH
SOME NEW UNIFORM CHANGE
WE SHOULDN'T BE IN UNIFORMS AT ALL
WE NEED TO HAVE MORE UNIFORMS
WE NEED TO HAVE LESS UNIFORMS

WE HAVE TOO MANY RIBBONS
LETS REDESIGN THE RIBBONS
WE HAVE TOO MANY BADGES

UNIFORM ACTON "X" MEANS THE USAF HATES US
UNIFORM ACTION "Y" MEANS THEY LOVE US AGAIN
UNIFORM ACTON "Z" MESSES WITH MY HEAD

WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TRAINING
WE HAVE TOO MUCH and NOT ENOUGH RIGOR

THE USAF SHOULD TAKE US OVER
WE USAF SHOULD STAY OUT OF OUR BUSINESS
GOLF SHIRTS vs FLIGHT SUITS

And the list could go on ad infinitum.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on December 09, 2010, 05:11:17 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on December 09, 2010, 05:03:46 AM
I apologize is I was offensive.

You isn't...

Sorry, I occasionally type an "s" for an "f," don't know why but that is a common typo of mine that I can't seem to catch in handwritten works or proof reading.  A disorder, perhaps?

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DBlair

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 09, 2010, 04:29:26 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 08, 2010, 11:41:15 PM
Quote from: JArvey on December 08, 2010, 10:48:59 PM
If cadets dont wear them why did I see a Cadet Colonel on national CAC wearing them?

He is wearing solo wings, a ground team badge, and the standard huge ribbon rack of an active cadet C/Col.

Standard?  He has some CAP Decorations up there that are most definitely not "standard."  Curry, Arnold et al, those are STANDARD, Exceptional Service Award, Meritorious Service Award, Commander's Commendation not so much.

Well, those decorations are essentially (unfortunately) standard for any Cadet who participates on Region or National CAC. Likewise, many Cadets are (unfortunately) awarded such decorations for participating on NCC teams, etc. Personally, I don't think either situation warrants an ESA or MSA, but it is what it is.

As for the 'medal' the Cadet originally mentioned, I have a feeling he is referring to the NRA medal as that is the only thing a Cadet can wear that actually looks like a medal.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Eclipse

I constantly drop the "u" in "you", something about the angle I hit the key, doesn't matter the machine.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on December 09, 2010, 06:21:46 AM
I constantly drop the "u" in "you", something about the angle I hit the key, doesn't matter the machine.
But on the up side, it makes you sound hip.

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 09, 2010, 05:09:14 AMWe have been down the road I speak of many, many times...it comes in cycles.  Some posts and threads repeat so often one might yell "CONSPIRACY."

I could list some...
AMERICAN FLAG PATCH
SOME NEW UNIFORM CHANGE
WE SHOULDN'T BE IN UNIFORMS AT ALL
WE NEED TO HAVE MORE UNIFORMS
WE NEED TO HAVE LESS UNIFORMS

WE HAVE TOO MANY RIBBONS
LETS REDESIGN THE RIBBONS
WE HAVE TOO MANY BADGES

UNIFORM ACTON "X" MEANS THE USAF HATES US
UNIFORM ACTION "Y" MEANS THEY LOVE US AGAIN
UNIFORM ACTON "Z" MESSES WITH MY HEAD

WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TRAINING
WE HAVE TOO MUCH and NOT ENOUGH RIGOR

THE USAF SHOULD TAKE US OVER
WE USAF SHOULD STAY OUT OF OUR BUSINESS
GOLF SHIRTS vs FLIGHT SUITS

And the list could go on ad infinitum.
I think we all have a knee jerk when we perceive something to be one of the above. To be fair, some comments approach one of the above, but don't actually fully embody one of the subjects. I think we all need to take the time to re-read something that looks like it, just to make certain it is or isn't what we might think. I know I'm guilty of it.

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 09, 2010, 05:14:59 AMSorry, I occasionally type an "s" for an "f," don't know why but that is a common typo of mine that I can't seem to catch in handwritten works or proof reading.  A disorder, perhaps?
Just finished a Psych class, I can assure you that it isn't. The index finger is stronger that the ring finger (which should be the fingers you're using to type those characters, so it often tends to be the one that over rides the others. It's mechanics, not psychology. You do it enough that it seems right, so you don't catch it when it's incorrect. I wouldn't worry about it, worrying about it could turn it into a disorder.

Anyway, personally I don't think that what we have is meaningless, but I think that the "meaningfulness" of many awards could be increased but eliminating a few (or more). As seniors, we have the option of shortening our ribbon racks, so there are a few decorations that I tend to leave off regularly. Of course, there are some odd things as to what I wear. There is one military award that could be considered "complementary" of another in what they tell of me, so I tend to wear them both, even though I value one more than the other.

Cool Mace

Quote from: DBlair on December 09, 2010, 06:09:29 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on December 09, 2010, 04:29:26 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 08, 2010, 11:41:15 PM
If cadets dont wear them why did I see a Cadet Colonel on national CAC wearing them?

He is wearing solo wings, a ground team badge, and the standard huge ribbon rack of an active cadet C/Col.

Standard?  He has some CAP Decorations up there that are most definitely not "standard."  Curry, Arnold et al, those are STANDARD, Exceptional Service Award, Meritorious Service Award, Commander's Commendation not so much.

Well, those decorations are essentially (unfortunately) standard for any Cadet who participates on Region or National CAC. Likewise, many Cadets are (unfortunately) awarded such decorations for participating on NCC teams, etc. Personally, I don't think either situation warrants an ESA or MSA, but it is what it is.

Agreed. I was on NCC DT and NCAC, but never got anything for them. I don't see why anyone should. You already get a clasp for your ribbon for doing both those things. Why do they need more stuff for nothing?
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

DakRadz

That cadet was wearing a badge or insignia, not a medal.

Medals are the round metal things that hang from a piece of cloth.

You are using the wrong terminology, which is understandable for a new cadet- but that terminology is causing confusion, as you see here  ;D

DC

To answer the other part of the OP's question: On BDUs you are required to wear a reversed American flag patch on the right shoulder and name and CAP tapes over the breast pockets. Additionally you may opt to wear a wing patch on the left shoulder, a squadron patch (Model Rocketry and a handful of others also may go here) on the left breast pocket, and a specialty patch on the left breast, typically on cadets this is from a National Cadet Special Activity they have attended.

I know that's a little confusing. I'm guessing you are new to CAP, in which case you just need to know that the flag goes on the right shoulder, your name goes over the left breast pocket, and the CIVIL AIR PATROL tape goes over your right breast pocket. Those are the only required patches for BDUs. The rest will come later as you attend activities and do stuff as a cadet.

The items you linked to are called badges or insignia, not medals. Cadets can earn some of them, the most common ones being Solo Pilot wings and the Ground Team Member badges. Of the specialty track badges, which are the colored, shield-shaped ones, cadets are only allowed to earn the Emergency Services, Communications, and Information Technology badges, the rest are reserved for Senior Members only.

Hawk200

Quote from: DC on December 10, 2010, 12:32:43 AM
your name goes over the left breast pocket, and the CIVIL AIR PATROL tape goes over your right breast pocket.
Backwards there. Nametag over right, CAP tape over left.

DC

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 10, 2010, 03:40:31 AM
your name goes over the left breast pocket, and the CIVIL AIR PATROL tape goes over your right breast pocket.
Backwards there. Nametag over right, CAP tape over left.
My bad, you're right.

arajca

a squadron patch (Model Rocketry and a handful of others also may go here) on the left breast pocket, and a specialty patch on the left breast, typically on cadets this is from a National Cadet Special Activity they have attended.
The squadron patch or Model Rocketry patch are worn on the RIGHT breast pocket, not left. Specialty patches (Comm, Safety, etc) or NCSA patches are worn on the LEFT breast pocket. Specialty insignia (wings, GT badges, EMT badges) are worn over the Civil Air Patrol tape on the left breast. 

SarDragon

Just as a reminder, all handedness refers to the wearer's left or right.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JArvey

Im not going to post a picture of the person but hes wearing the comm and the emergency services on his blues uniform along with the ton of ribbons the GTM and solo wings. and of course the NRA

JArvey

To answer the other part of the OP's question: On BDUs you are required to wear a reversed American flag patch on the right shoulder and name and CAP tapes over the breast pockets. Additionally you may opt to wear a wing patch on the left shoulder, a squadron patch (Model Rocketry and a handful of others also may go here) on the left breast pocket, and a specialty patch on the left breast, typically on cadets this is from a National Cadet Special Activity they have attended.

I know that's a little confusing. I'm guessing you are new to CAP, in which case you just need to know that the flag goes on the right shoulder, your name goes over the left breast pocket, and the CIVIL AIR PATROL tape goes over your right breast pocket. Those are the only required patches for BDUs. The rest will come later as you attend activities and do stuff as a cadet.

The items you linked to are called badges or insignia, not medals. Cadets can earn some of them, the most common ones being Solo Pilot wings and the Ground Team Member badges. Of the specialty track badges, which are the colored, shield-shaped ones, cadets are only allowed to earn the Emergency Services, Communications, and Information Technology badges, the rest are reserved for Senior Members only.

thanks you answered my question. I was looking for the badges and BTW the model rocketry goes on the right breast pocket.

JArvey

Quote from: DakRadz on December 10, 2010, 12:21:55 AM

You are using the wrong terminology, which is understandable for a new cadet- but that terminology is causing confusion, as you see here  ;D

Ok... I said medals because I did not know what they were, but just because I said that does not mean that I'm a new cadet, in fact im a officer.

DakRadz

Quote from: JArvey on December 10, 2010, 09:00:36 PM

Ok... I said medals because I did not know what they were, but just because I said that does not mean that I'm a new cadet, in fact im a officer.

You put 14 for your age on your CAPTalk profile.

If you mean you are a cadet officer, I'm slightly surprised you didn't know the difference between badges and medals, but it's not really a big part of cadetting, so whatever.

If you are a SM officer, your profile mislead me.

Either way, the terminology was still confusing..

JArvey

Quote from: DakRadz on December 10, 2010, 09:07:55 PM
Quote from: JArvey on December 10, 2010, 09:00:36 PM

You put 14 for your age on your CAPTalk profile.

If you mean you are a cadet officer, I'm slightly surprised you didn't know the difference between badges and medals, but it's not really a big part of cadetting, so whatever.

If you are a SM officer, your profile mislead me.

Either way, the terminology was still confusing..

Ya im a Cadet Officer, and I just get confused with all the terminology. I dint start using vanguard until my squadron starting running out of everything.

DakRadz

It's not Vanguard that determines what we call things.

They are called the same thing all throughout CAP, with perhaps a few nicknames like chest candy. But they are insignia and badges- that's in some of our manuals and regulations.