Main Menu

Im sorry

Started by Flying Pig, June 08, 2010, 04:07:40 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 08, 2010, 04:51:32 PM
The polo came out after the blazer/aviator combo.  They probably selected grey because everyone who wore the blazer/aviator already had grey pants.  We (universal, we) complain all the time that new uniform items are implemented without consideration of cost to the member.  Seems like it was a perfect choice to keep the expense of the uniform down.

As for finding grey slacks, I've never had a problem.  I just go to JCPenny or Kohls or Sears or Macy's and pick up a set in the suit section.  $30 and I'm out.  I can also wear them with other stuff.

Yep - the gray looks sharp and distinctive.

They stay.

Next problem.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

It's not the problem of availability with the gray pants. It's anything but that.

You get them here, he gets them there, Savoir-Faire gets them everywhere!

Some have adopted tactical versions, some tweed, some Dockers, some Dickies. There's no standard. 39-1 even tries to put a standard to it, and for all we know it was probably written by people who used to shop in the Sears, Penny's and Monkey Wards catalogs.

Eclipse

Not like that would change with Khaki's - there's plenty of interpretation of that color, and unless you restrict purchase to Vanguard, many who need those pants the most will not be able to get them in their size if you specify one commercial source or style.

The spec is vague on purpose to allow people to wear what they already have.

"That Others May Zoom"

vmstan

I also consider it more to be a "civilian" uniform. Total uniformity isn't really required for it. Heck, no two blue polls are the same depending on vendor, short sleeve or long sleeve, screen print or embroidered. If they added gray OR khaki as an option in 39-1 that'd me fine with me.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

JC004

Quote from: Marshalus on June 08, 2010, 07:02:50 PM
I also consider it more to be a "civilian" uniform. Total uniformity isn't really required for it. Heck, no two blue polls are the same depending on vendor, short sleeve or long sleeve, screen print or embroidered. If they added gray OR khaki as an option in 39-1 that'd me fine with me.

Yeah, my polos from Vanguard don't even have the freaking seal centered correctly.  Freaks.

IIIIIIII don't know that I would go as far as an "or."  We have so many options at this point.  I say decide on gray or khaki.  National Board members should have bright red pants, however.  That way, we can hide our wallets when we see them coming.  I'm still hoping they are going to buy back my flight suit CAP seal, USAF Auxiliary command patch, and command patch with "U.S.".   >:D

AirAux

I, too, am sorry...That I have to agree 100% with Eclipse on this one.  The polo/gray is not military and therefore we don't all have to look exactly the same.  Give it up already..  If you must wear matching uniforms, such as USAF, lose the fat, shave the beard or drop dead.  The rest of us will go play in our similar clothes and enjoy our selves.  Geeessshhh.  I didn't like the khaki's when I was on active duty and I don't own one pair of khaki dockers and don't plan on ever doing so.. It is what it is...  My new favorite line, out of The Losers...Don't start none, won't be none..  Carry on, hopefully with a different topic..   

Eclipse

Quote from: AirAux on June 08, 2010, 07:30:18 PM
I, too, am sorry...That I have to agree 100% with Eclipse on this one.

Ahh, the pain we must endure for CAP...

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

No, but the White/Gray is a substitute for a military combination, and then it should look the same, and if the rationale for the polo/gray is to utilize the same gray pants then that too would look the same if the uniform type were specified with a commonly available item.

Eclipse

"Uniform" to me, means reasonably the same from 10-20 feet - examine anything we wear with a microscope and there are differences.

I have blue USAF shirts from different, but official, manufacturers that are clearly different materials, weight and color from 2 feet - from
10 they look they same.

We get everyone in the same general outfit, and/or just get people to follow the rules and we've won.  Get anal about the manufacturer's tag or whether it has cargo pockets and you lose the war in the minutia of a meaningless battle.

A good percentage of the CAP membership, and a number of AD and GD/RS that I know, don't even know there are color shades specified for service dress pants and wear the wrong ones all the time.  From 20 feet no one cares.

"That Others May Zoom"

AirAux

I'm becoming Eclipse's number one fan today..  Kudos Eclipse..

cap235629

Quote from: AirAux on June 08, 2010, 07:30:18 PM
If you must wear matching uniforms, such as USAF, lose the fat, shave the beard or drop dead.

Yes you are SORRY, very SORRY.

Rather than get my self in trouble for saying what I really feel, I will leave it at that.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

AirAux

Excellent!!  And if you expect anyone to understand the post under your name, write it in English, the accepted, preferred language in this country..

SarDragon

Eh, there's a bunch of online translators online, if you really care that much. BTW, it's Gaelic.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Custer

Quote from: Eclipse on June 08, 2010, 08:44:31 PMA good percentage of the CAP membership, and a number of AD and GD/RS that I know, don't even know there are color shades specified for service dress pants and wear the wrong ones all the time.

I'm looking at Table 2-1 in CAPM 39-1 right now.  And I kid you not, it does not specify a color for the service dress pants.  AT ALL.   Full cut, straight hanging, no cuffs, has to fit at the natural waistline.  It does specify fabrics but never mentions shade beyond saying somewhere if you wear the service coat they have to match.  You are lucky they show up wearing blue, as apparently they don't have to.  How can they get the shade wrong?

Eclipse

Quote from: Custer on June 09, 2010, 01:02:12 AMYou are lucky they show up wearing blue, as apparently they don't have to.  How can they get the shade wrong?

When discussing USAF-style uniforms, any voids in the CAP regs are back-filled by AFI 36-2903.

There are two shades - 1620 and 1625 - you can wear either without the jacket, but with the jacket the shades must match.

I recently has a conversation with a field grade reservist who was unaware there were even two shades.  Though he's still very active, he hadn't worn anything but a flightsuit in years.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Quote from: SarDragon on June 09, 2010, 12:58:18 AM
Eh, there's a bunch of online translators online, if you really care that much. BTW, it's Gaelic.

Close, it is IRISH which is a Gaelic language.....

;)  ;)
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Earhart1971

Grey Slacks ad Grey Epaulets. I hate them both.

By the way I am Air Force Standard Weight now.  I can eat one meal a day and not gain weight, and lose a little.

We need a National Command Staff with the (you guess the part) to tell the Air Force the Uniform we will wear.

We don't care if the Army has a similar Uniform.

There is a another competing volunteer organization that wears the complete Army Uniform with their National Commander wearing 4 stars on epaulets. The Army has its own problem with volunteers stealing their uniforms.

Ok, my current suggestion: 1505 Tan uniform with Black Epaulets for Rank, and the Tan Jacket the Air Force wore in the 1950s with metal rank.

All infavor say aye!

SarDragon

Quote from: cap235629 on June 09, 2010, 01:27:36 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on June 09, 2010, 12:58:18 AM

Close, it is IRISH which is a Gaelic language.....

;) ;)

All Irish is Gaelic. Not all Gaelic is Irish.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: Earhart1971 on June 09, 2010, 02:13:26 AMOk, my current suggestion: 1505 Tan uniform with Black Epaulets for Rank, and the Tan Jacket the Air Force wore in the 1950s with metal rank.

All infavor say aye!

Nay, for two reasons.

It will be a more expensive uniform, due to economy of scale. Compare the quantities the CAP would use versus the quantities the AF uses. BIG difference.

It is a harder uniform to take care of than the current uniform. I wore 1505s WIWAC, and thought they were horrid. The material was hot, showed dirt quickly, and didn't hold creases well without starch. Thems wasn't the good olde days!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Earhart1971

The shade would be 1505, that would be the end of the similarity.

Economies,we could get someone in India or Bangledesh to make a nice comfy cotton uniform.

How about $40bucks trousers and shirt.

By the way the Grey BDU pants that can be gotten from Vangard are tolerable with the blue polo.

The next shoe to drop is Woodlands Camo going bye bye and the next BDU abortion combo they decide on.

Ok dont get me talking about Uniforms.