Would this be acceptable for the blue utility CAP jumpsuit?

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, March 03, 2010, 06:37:26 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

I saw this on Evilbay.  The picture isn't good, but it seems that this might be able to be used for the CAP blue utility suit (not flight suit).

The cut and shade of blue looks identical.

I doubt it's NOMEX or else it'd be a lot more expensive.

This would be a good price for an American-made uniform item, if permitted.

http://tinyurl.com/bluejumpsuit
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

cap235629

why not buy the tru-spec version brand new for about the same price?
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Eclipse

With shipping this is almost the exact same price as VG - just get the "real" one.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mustang

Uh, this IS the "real" one, Bobbo. The Tru-Spec garbage Vanguard sells is a cheap knockoff of this very item.

Nin owns one, as does my former wing  king.    MUCH better looking than what you can get  from Vanguard.

"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

flyboy53

Acceptable, yes, and the price is right, wow. Why would you want a Vanguard knock-off if you can get this?

Strick

Quote from: Mustang on March 04, 2010, 10:17:19 AM
Uh, this IS the "real" one, Bobbo. The Tru-Spec garbage Vanguard sells is a cheap knockoff of this very item.

Nin owns one, as does my former wing  king.    MUCH better looking than what you can get  from Vanguard.

Truspec is good.............Scamguard sells the ROTCO flightsuit.   TRUPSEC is mil-spec minus the nomex.
[darn]atio memoriae

Mustang

The "flight suits" Tru-Spec manufactures are not "mil-spec minus the nomex".   They're a lot closer than Rothco, but not mil-spec.  The only place that I've found to offer "mil-spec minus the nomex" is Flight Suits Ltd, and they want over $100 for theirs.

Here's a good comparison, Tru-Spec on the left, Propper on the right (easier to see the differences in khaki):

To be honest, if Tru-Spec would just fix the breast pockets and switch to a more fade-resistant fabric, I'd be happy. 
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

The CyBorg is destroyed

Or this one?

It's Canadian issue, but all I can see in terms of differences is epaulettes. 

The colo(u)r looks different, but the RCAF jumpsuits I've seen in person are darker.

And for about $30 and change for something a lot higher quality than what Vanguard has...

http://tinyurl.com/RCAFcoverall
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

teesquared

Quote from: CyBorg on March 07, 2010, 06:37:31 AM
Or this one?

It's Canadian issue, but all I can see in terms of differences is epaulettes. 

The colo(u)r looks different, but the RCAF jumpsuits I've seen in person are darker.

And for about $30 and change for something a lot higher quality than what Vanguard has...

http://tinyurl.com/RCAFcoverall

This one looks too much like the royal blue one they just phased out in 2009.
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: teesquared on March 08, 2010, 10:15:13 PM
This one looks too much like the royal blue one they just phased out in 2009.

In the picture it does, yes.

However, I've seen quite a few of them in person.  I've been on a few RCAF bases.  They are a bit darker than this picture shows; a little like RAF blue but with less grey.

The RCAF has gone to green-with-subdued just like about everyone else so I see a lot of these (and jackets) on Evilbay.

When I think of the "royal blue" I think of what NASA flight crews wear.

I think the epaulettes would draw more of a "huh?" than the shade of blue, since I've only seen those on a few green NOMEX suits.

I've seen varying shades of blue on BBDU's and blue flight jackets, depending on manufacturer.

All 39-1 says is "dark blue," so I dunno... ???
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

O-Rex

RCAF coveralls look a bit 'iffy...'

Old SAC Blue coveralls: they're 100% poly, look better and wear better than the blue utility VG sells.  I too ebay'd one and folks actually ask me where I got it. Had it for 2 years, and it still looks new.

Of course it'll light up like a christmas tree in the event of a fire, but the 40% (I'm spitballing) of folks who fly in golf shirt and gray slacks fare no better.

The CyBorg is destroyed

The RCAF ones are made of much better material (and made in Canada to mil-spec).

My blue flight jacket is closer to this shade of blue than to my current (Hock Shop) coveralls, but again the epaulettes might raise a few "huh?"

Good to know someone besides me looked into other coveralls than the Vanguard/Hock Shop choices.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

cap235629

here is one I found, except for the velcro for the name tag, it looks like a good product and price
http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/item-7503.asp
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Mustang

Quote from: cap235629 on March 09, 2010, 04:39:52 AM
here is one I found, except for the velcro for the name tag, it looks like a good product and price
That is the Rothco-produced one I believe.  Its design is military-esque, not mil-spec.

FARRIER

Quote from: Mustang on March 09, 2010, 08:21:52 AM
That is the Rothco-produced one I believe.  Its design is military-esque, not mil-spec.

Thinking aloud, remove and adjust the velcro? Its got my attention.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

The CyBorg is destroyed

I see those with the slanted Velcro quite a bit on Evilbay too.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SARDOC

Quote from: FARRIER on March 09, 2010, 09:36:32 AM
Quote from: Mustang on March 09, 2010, 08:21:52 AM

Thinking aloud, remove and adjust the velcro? Its got my attention.

That's kind of what I was thinking...I went to Vanguard the other day and looked at the one they sell...didn't look at the manufacturer name...But the quality won't last any kind of work as a flightsuit.  it is really disappointing.  Can anyone vouch for the quality of some of these products?

Eclipse

A Nomex flightsuit will cost you in excess of $150.00, these jumpsuits cost about $40.

I have had one for about 3 or 4 years and it's held up fine.

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

I learned the hard way, so better share what I know...

If you are in CAWG, then NOMEX is the only approved uniform for flight crews. Only exception being when customer request us to be discreet without flightsuits. CAWG is one of those few wings with extra requirements, for a while flight crew was only allowed all leather boots, now leather with NOMEX is ok, but still not sure about leather with Nylon. The supplement is once again being revised...

Slim

The blue utility uniform I have (that I got from Vanguard a few years ago) is the Tru-Spec version, by Atlanco.  It's set up almost the same as a regular flight suit, without the three pockets on the upper legs.  It's also made of a 60/40 nylon/cotton twill, similar to winter weight BDUs.  Mine has held up very well with weekly use at unit meetings.  In fact, I'm about to buy another one so I can relegate my current suit to a back-up/second uniform.  I've found a retailer who carries the Tru-Spec line is fairly local (about 40 miles away), and does mail orders.  If you're looking to buy one, this is what I recommend, don't buy the junk from Vanguard.

Go to Atlanco's home page, then click on Distributors, click on your state.  If your state doesn't have any distributors, check neighboring states and try to find one that does mail ordering.  Unfortunately, Atlanco is a wholesaler, so you can't buy direct from them.

Slim