official "I'm here!" thread.

Started by whatevah, March 24, 2005, 04:52:08 AM

Beckbacca

Just saying hello. Went to my first meeting and got my application. The unit commander was a really friendly guy. I am prior service, and really miss the military and the camaraderie. I tried to get back into the military but could not due to my disability. I am so glad I finally found out about the CAP and hope it will fill a void I have felt since leaving the military. Cheers everyone.

g17jimmy

Hello everyone- I am new to the forum but active in CAP since July 2019 out of KSPA, SC-090. I'm MS, MO, and AP qualified and have participated in missions for the USAF, FEMA and the State of SC. I'm finishing my PPL soon and will be working toward MP as soon as possible.

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

KaiE

I'm Kai, a fairly new member of ND wing. Just passed my CAPF5 today

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CAPJOE

I've been in the group for a couple 3 months but never thought of saying hello. I got back into CAP last August after 25 years away. Life happened. Moved to where closest unit was 75 mile one way, couldn't give the time necessary with work, kids and all. I Love it again as much as did back then.
Joe
Magic City Composite Squadron
Minot ND

KaiE

Quote from: CAPJOE on February 08, 2020, 03:16:03 PMI've been in the group for a couple 3 months but never thought of saying hello. I got back into CAP last August after 25 years away. Life happened. Moved to where closest unit was 75 mile one way, couldn't give the time necessary with work, kids and all. I Love it again as much as did back then.
Joe
Magic City Composite Squadron
Minot ND

I'm just down the road in the Bismarck squadron

Hi I'm C/A1C Radom! I started CAP 5 months ago and this is the best thing I have ever done. I am currently working on my GTM3 task and hope to see you all on a mission!

(Also I wanted to let people know that the NC WING has changed there site to https://ncwg.cap.gov/.) Just FYI

jb3

Cadet Random, Welcome to CAP and to CAPTalk. Great program and you are in an awesome wing. Enjoy. I'd love to be a cadet again...

JohhnyD

Quote from: Bugsmasher on September 14, 2005, 10:09:48 PMHey, y'all.  I recently found this site, and figured I should quit lurking and get active on it.  Hence, this introduction.

I've first joined CAP in 1966, when I was taking flying lessons at Dalton Airport in Flushing, Michigan.  When I moved to Florida in 1968, I let my membership lapse in order to concentrate on learning my new job as an Air Traffic Controller in Miami.

I rejoined CAP in 1979 when I was contacted by a Cadet Major who was looking for a flight instructor for his solo scholarship.  I have enjoyed continuous membership since then, even during a couple of times when I burnt out and went inactive.

I've had the opportunity to serve in a number of different positions, including commander of Cadet, Senior and Composite Squadrons.  I'm presently living in the mountains of northern Georgia, where I serve CAP as a Group Commander.

It's great to meet all you folks, and I look forward to posting more as time permits.

Wayne Roshaven, Lt Col, CAP
Commander, Group 2 GAWG

Thank you for your many years of service, you have truly made a difference.

Eclipse

You just replied to a message that is 15 years old, by a person who hasn't been on the board in over 10.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

What's that line, "reading is important"?

slicek38

"Howdy, ya'll!" I'm a new guy to this forum and decided to sign up after being in CAP for six years. I retired from law enforcement in CA in 2015, moved to AZ, and transferred my CAP membership to AZWG. After having been a volunteer with the USCG Auxiliary in CA and also an NCO in the CA State Guard (in the 90s), I have to say that I get more enjoyment out of being retired and now very involved with CAP. I am slowly figuring out the various nuances and workings of this site. It's good to be here in such fine company with all of you.

Retired and loving it!

etodd

Quote from: slicek38 on March 10, 2020, 09:47:25 PMIt's good to be here in such fine company with all of you.

Welcome to the funny farm. :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Pinecone

Hi.

I am new to CAP, for the 3rd time. :D

I was a Cadet from early 1969 through sometime in the 1972.  Attaining the rank of Cadet Warrant Officer.  I started in Rhode, then we moved to the DC area where I was a member of BCC Squadron for the rest of my Cadet "career."

In 1979 I joined the Montgomery Senior Squadron in Gaithersburg, MD.  At the time, it was a combination flying club and CAP Squadron.  I was not involved in any CAP activities, just flying the club aircraft.  I was a member until around 1982 - 83.

And just recently joined Harford Composite Squadron.

In the mean time, I was commissioned in the MD ANG in October 1980 and attended USAF UPT Class 82-01 at Laughlin AFB.  Then on to Lead In Fighter Training and A-10 RTU.  I flew the A-10 with the MD ANG for a couple of years before some medical issues kept my out of the cockpit and I got out.

Spam

Welcome back, Pinecone! Still going strong, just like the A-10!

V/r
Spam

(Disclosure: I'm doing some flight test work now on C model updates).  ;D

Pinecone

Quote from: Spam on October 07, 2021, 06:53:59 AMWelcome back, Pinecone! Still going strong, just like the A-10!

V/r
Spam

Awesome.  I met a current MD ANG pilot on another forum, and he invited me to fly the C model sim.  I am starting to play with it on DCS World computer sim.

AMAZING capability.  We should reverse engineer the rest of the plane, and build new ones with a version of the CF-34-8C or 8E (3 - 4" larger diameter) at 14,450 pounds of thrust.

Spam

Quote from: Pinecone on October 07, 2021, 11:54:45 AM
Quote from: Spam on October 07, 2021, 06:53:59 AMWelcome back, Pinecone! Still going strong, just like the A-10!

V/r
Spam

Awesome.  I met a current MD ANG pilot on another forum, and he invited me to fly the C model sim.  I am starting to play with it on DCS World computer sim.

AMAZING capability.  We should reverse engineer the rest of the plane, and build new ones with a version of the CF-34-8C or 8E (3 - 4" larger diameter) at 14,450 pounds of thrust.

We, uh, don't need to REVERSE engineer it, you know. We've got the drawings right? We do the tech exploitation thing only when we source someone ELSE's flying saucers (I had a wonderful time crawling over MiGs and Sukhois in the 90s but thats another story). 

Welcome back and enjoy flying the mighty mighty CAP C-182!

Cheers!
Spam

Gone Soaring

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum but not CAP. I joined as a cadet in '67 and finally retired in 2011 as an LTC. I hadn't planned on getting involved again but I was invited by my old sqdn to come back as a patron member. I was told by NHQ I'd lose my grade if I transferred to Patron. I'm just not sure about getting Active again. Though not sure, I think my grade would be reinstated...but part of me feels like I've done my time and could support the unit in a limited way by continuing in Retired status. After reading some of the posts I realize that things have changed since 2011...plenty of acronyms I don't recognize!

Pinecone

Quote from: Spam on October 07, 2021, 04:30:46 PM
Quote from: Pinecone on October 07, 2021, 11:54:45 AM

V/r
Spam

We, uh, don't need to REVERSE engineer it, you know. We've got the drawings right? We do the tech exploitation thing only when we source someone ELSE's flying saucers (I had a wonderful time crawling over MiGs and Sukhois in the 90s but thats another story).

Welcome back and enjoy flying the mighty mighty CAP C-182!

Cheers!
Spam

Actually we don't.  As I heard it, the USAF required that the drawings be destroyed.  I do know that some of the tooling still exists.

But when they needed to replace the wings on the early "thin skinned" aircraft, they had to take apart 2 or 3 later model wings to reverse engineer them to build new ones.  So that part is done.

Other option is to remove the avionics on a couple, send them to China, and start getting new ones in about 6 weeks. :D :D