Class B Uniform Question

Started by FO Chris Kendall, March 27, 2007, 01:30:57 AM

FO Chris Kendall

Alright General Question here, Im a new Cadet in C.A.P.. I just received Airman and Just acquired my dress blues in the mail. I remember hearing a while back that Cadets are allowed to wear the dress blues, Class B's, to school on the days of their respective C.A.P. meetings. Although Im not quite sure if I heard this correctly. Any and all help is appreciated.

C/Amn Christopher John Kendall
Schirra Squadron
Group 221, NJ-090, NER
FO Chris Kendall

PAO
Schirra Squadron
Group 221
NJ - 090
NER
""A cadet will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do." - West Point Cadet Honor Code

Jolt

Welcome to CAP! :)

To answer your question, no, you're not allowed to wear your blues uniform to school on the day of the meeting.  CAP has been using a general "one hour before, one hour after" uniform policy.  The idea is that you wear the uniform an hour before the meeting or activity and one hour after so that you're only wearing the uniform when it's required.

Also, I'd like to add that we don't refer to uniforms as "class a's, b's or c's" or anything like that.  What you're referring to is probably a short sleeve blues uniform.  And "class a's" are usually the service dress uniform.  CAP doesn't have a standardized class system, so, while it may work for your squadron, members of other squadrons won't know which uniform you're referring to.

Congratulations on your promotion to C/Amn.  Keep it up!

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: Cadet Airman Chris Kendall on March 27, 2007, 01:30:57 AM
Alright General Question here, Im a new Cadet in C.A.P.. I just received Airman and Just acquired my dress blues in the mail. I remember hearing a while back that Cadets are allowed to wear the dress blues, Class B's, to school on the days of their respect C.A.P. meetings. Although Im not quite sure if I heard this correctly. Any and all help is appreciated.

C/Amn Christopher John Kendall
Schirra Squadron
Group 221, NJ-090, NER

No, you are not allowed to wear any CAP uniform  to any non- CAP activity.
Check out table 1-1 of CAPM 39-1.

Also, whats  this "Class B's" you speak of? Those are army terms. Short sleeve blues* would be the uniform you received in the mail. Check out CAPM 39-1 for more details

Congrats on you promotion, and welcome to CAP!

edit to add: Jolt, you beat me to the punch....

*edit to add again: Short Sleeve Service Uniform is the correct term instead of short sleeve blues

MIKE

Mike Johnston

FO Chris Kendall

Alright, Yeah its The Short Sleeved Dress Uniform. I assumed those were called Class B's in CAP also, Apparently I was wrong. But alright, Thank you for the information. And I just call them the Dress Blues, I thought CAP referred to them as that also, Apparently I was wrong again. Gotta get my jargon right,

Thanks again.
FO Chris Kendall

PAO
Schirra Squadron
Group 221
NJ - 090
NER
""A cadet will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do." - West Point Cadet Honor Code

Pylon

Quote from: Cadet Airman Chris Kendall on March 27, 2007, 01:46:11 AM
Alright, Yeah its The Short Sleeved Dress Uniform. I assumed those were called Class B's in CAP also, Apparently I was wrong. But alright, Thank you for the information. And I just call them the Dress Blues, I thought CAP referred to them as that also, Apparently I was wrong again. Gotta get my jargon right,

Thanks again.

Welcome to the organization and welcome to CAPTalk.  Don't sweat the jargon stuff - after 10 years in CAP, I still hear people use new and unfamiliar terms and learn something new.  We're all learning, all the time.   :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Cadet Airman Chris Kendall on March 27, 2007, 01:46:11 AM

Just messing with ya... We all know what you are talking about.  As far as the proper terms:

Quote from: CAPM 39-12-1. a. Service uniforms include the service dress uniform, long-sleeve light blue blouse/shirt, and shortsleeve light blue blouse/shirt.

Mike Johnston

SarDragon

Gotta give him a little break, he's from the NY suburb part of NJ.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DNall

Just to clarify so you know the right terms from the begining... it's not "dress blues" either. The blues uniform is called service dress. It's referred to as "full service dress" meaning with the jacket, or long or short sleeve. I won't even get into cadets can't be assigned Sq staff positions, and that Amn are in the learning phase where they should never be assigned any additional duty.

Welcome though, and please keep working hard to move thru the program.

Psicorp

Growing up in a military household, use of that jargon became second nature.  Class A was full Service Dress, Class B was long sleeve blues shirt with tie, Class C was short sleeve blues shirt no tie,  and Class 6 was the base liquor store.   ;D

The only time you may wear your CAP uniform to school is if you are conducting some CAP activity or if your school has a JROTC program and you've been invited to participate in an activity, and both of those depend on your Squadron Commander's approval.   Otherwise, leave the uniform at home.

Congrats on the Curry and good luck!

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

ddelaney103

Wow, several answers on the name of the uniform - and all of them are wrong.

In the AF, and by extension CAP, though they are far sloppier with their terminology, the blue uniform is known as the Service Uniform.  It has several variants:

If you are wearing the jacket, it is known as the Service Dress Uniform.

The uniform w/o the jacket is the Short Sleeve Service Uniform or Long Sleeve Service Uniform.

flyerthom

Quote from: SarDragon on March 27, 2007, 02:41:25 AM
Gotta give hima a little break, he's from the NY suburb part of NJ.  ;)

The Pocono's - New Yorks 6th bough...
TC

FO Chris Kendall

Quote from: flyerthom on March 27, 2007, 09:15:25 PM

*Borough

;)
FO Chris Kendall

PAO
Schirra Squadron
Group 221
NJ - 090
NER

Eclipse

FYI - in situations where it might be appropriate to wear the uniform outside a CAP activity, it requires your unit CC's approval to do so.

"That Others May Zoom"

brasda91

Quote from: Psicorp on March 27, 2007, 03:31:56 AM
Class A was full Service Dress, Class B was long sleeve blues shirt with tie, Class C was short sleeve blues shirt no tie.   ;D

Exactly.  This goes back years ago.  I was a cadet '87-'89 and even when I joined as a Senior member in '93, that is the terminology that was used then.  Keep in mind, over the years the terminology may have changed or the members have begun using the manuals "correct" name.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: flyerthom on March 27, 2007, 09:15:25 PM

No, no, no... South Florida in the winter time is New Yawk's 6th borough!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major Lord

When I was the Deputy Commander for Cadets, I gave blanket permission to any Cadet to wear his uniform to schoool, as long as he/she carried recrutiment literature on their person and the school did not forbid it.

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Psicorp

Quote from: CaptLord on March 29, 2007, 06:12:55 PM
When I was the Deputy Commander for Cadets, I gave blanket permission to any Cadet to wear his uniform to schoool, as long as he/she carried recrutiment literature on their person and the school did not forbid it.

Capt. Lord

And they managed to keep the uniform in good enough condition to pass inspection at meetings?   That's impressive.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Monty

Quote from: Psicorp on March 29, 2007, 06:20:04 PM

Capt. Lord

And they managed to keep the uniform in good enough condition to pass inspection at meetings?   That's impressive.

It's not that hard, friend....some of us had to work in the "real" blue uniform on a daily basis, walking around, passing out recruiting literature.....and still had to pass uniform inspections when our Flight Chiefs and Superintendents came for spot visits after the sun went down!  :)

Psicorp

Quote from: msmjr2003 on March 29, 2007, 07:18:35 PM
Quote from: Psicorp on March 29, 2007, 06:20:04 PM

Capt. Lord

It's not that hard, friend....some of us had to work in the "real" blue uniform on a daily basis, walking around, passing out recruiting literature.....and still had to pass uniform inspections when our Flight Chiefs and Superintendents came for spot visits after the sun went down!  :)

Copy sir, but Middle and Jr. High Schools are a very different environment, the average maturity level (of the other students) just isn't there yet.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257