BDU & Supplies question

Started by Ajczdabomb, December 02, 2009, 04:13:25 AM

Ajczdabomb

Hi,
I am soon coming to the end of my orientational flight and I was wondering..
What is the difference between BDU regular and summer weight? Which should I get?
What key things do I need to know on the test?

Thank you

Hawk200

Quote from: Ajczdabomb on December 02, 2009, 04:13:25 AM
Hi,
I am soon coming to the end of my orientational flight and I was wondering..
What is the difference between BDU regular and summer weight? Which should I get?
What key things do I need to know on the test?

Thank you

Don't know about your testing, and you should be studying for it, not asking for the answers.

As to your BDU's, either one is fine as long as pants and shirt are the same material.

The Army ACU is in a ripstop fabric that is the same material (more or less) as the summer weight BDU. The reasoning is that clothing should be layered to deal with the cold, and it works the same way with BDUs.

If you're the kind of person that gets chilly easily and heat doesn't bother you, then winter weight should work for most of the year.

It doesn't hurt to have a one (or even a few of each), you can wear what's appropriate for the weather. If cost is an issue, get what you need now, then add the others later.

Polypro and GoreTex work pretty well for dealing with the cold, unless you're in a really cold area. A field jacket with liner works too.

IceNine

Best all-season options, and the ones I recommend to my new cadets are:

65/35 Poly Cotton Blend
50/50 Nylon Cotton Blend

If its me I only buy Propper brand (bdu.com), and one of the above.

If they are being issued then promptly salute and thank whomever is handing them to you.

Good luck on your test,
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

MIKE

50/50 Nylon Cotton Ripstop Enhanced Hot Weather BDU.  Accept no substitutes.  >:D

Not as light as the 100% cottons, not as heavy as the twills.  Good intermediate weight that wears well year round.
Mike Johnston

Ajczdabomb

Thanks. I didn't mean asking for answers, just topics.
And is vanguard a better site to order from?

Майор Хаткевич

Hawk200

Quote from: Ajczdabomb on December 04, 2009, 03:47:15 AMAnd is vanguard a better site to order from?
When it comes to making orders, it's wisest to shop around. The site that USAFaux2004 mentioned has been referenced here numerous times, and most of the people here that have spoken of it have good things to say.

Haven't ordered from them yet, but if I needed such products, it's probably the first place I'd try.

Short Field

Check your local military surplus store.  A lot of them carry new and used BDUs.  Some carry Popper brands as well.  If you don't mind paying a bit more for new, you can get them right then instead of waiting for it to be shipped to you.  The big advantange (even if you end up ordering on-line) is you can try on the BDUs to check for the right size.  This applys to flightsuits as well.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640