USCG Unit Commendation Lapel Pins

Started by MIKE, June 27, 2009, 03:35:45 AM

MIKE

Do they make lapel pins for one of these?  I might like to has one:

Vanguard has one for the USCG Meritorious Unit Commendation, but I'm not seeing the CGUC:

I was expecting something like the one for the Navy Unit Commendation:

Happy 70th USCG Aux!
Mike Johnston

Slim

Did CGHQ award another UC for the 70th anniversary?  BZ if they did.

I got my first for the 60th.

Slim

Pylon

For about $75, you could make your own run of pins.  Sell them to your buddies.   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major Carrales

Are triangular lapel pins the norm for these things?  I mean, last time I saw triangular decorations, they were on Capt Kirk's dress uniform...

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Quote from: Slim on June 28, 2009, 04:12:13 AM

Yep. 

James Shaw

What would be the most "common lapel pin" we could have like this. Something that would apply towards a large portion of CAP.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: caphistorian on June 28, 2009, 02:22:28 PM
What would be the most "common lapel pin" we could have like this. Something that would apply towards a large portion of CAP.

Personally, I would think the following should be recognized with a lapel pin appropriate for civvy wear:

SMV and BMV
DSA, ESA, MSA, Comm-Comm, Achievement
Lifesaving
National Commander's and regular unit citation
Gill Robb Wilson and Paul Garber awards
Cadet milestones (Mitchell and higher)

Wishful thinking... if NHQ approves them.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MIKE

Quote from: Slim on June 28, 2009, 04:12:13 AM

Yeah... Not bad for my first piece of Auxie flair. The citation.

Quote from: Pylon on June 28, 2009, 04:25:58 AM
For about $75, you could make your own run of pins.  Sell them to your buddies.   ;)

Still trying to figure out how Scamguard has pins for the the CGMUC, a lower precedence unit award... but not the CGUC?

If I can't find an enamel pin I might order one of these. I just thought it might be nice to wear for things like Change of Watch that I wear a suit to since I don't have dinner dress.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on June 28, 2009, 03:37:50 PMIf I can't find an enamel pin I might order one of these.

I wish they'd make those up as ribbon slides, and they were authorized on CAP uniforms, along with mini CAP ribbons. My rack is getting awkwardly large for my build to wear comfortably.

MIKE

They look kind of small for above a pocket on a shirt or service coat.  Fine for a lapel though.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on June 28, 2009, 08:16:47 PM
They look kind of small for above a pocket on a shirt or service coat.  Fine for a lapel though.

They're actually mini ribbons, same height as regulars, but half the width, just like the difference between mini medals and full size ones. The advantage I'm looking at is two mini ribbons in the space of a full size. Reduces the real estate considerably.

Hawk200

Out of curiousity, who would make such a thing? Vanguard? Just wondering. If it's cheap enough, I've got a few ideas.

Pylon

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 28, 2009, 09:11:53 PM

Out of curiousity, who would make such a thing? Vanguard? Just wondering. If it's cheap enough, I've got a few ideas.

Search the internet for "lapel pin" makers.  There are hundreds of vendors who will make custom lapel pins.   The $75 set-up estimate is from my past experience in making runs of lapel pins for various purposes at my employer.  That should cover the artwork set-up and die charges... after that, each pin is usually well under a buck a piece.  The more pieces you make, the lower the per-unit cost goes.

Quote from: caphistorian on June 28, 2009, 02:22:28 PM

That's not what this topic is about.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

ol'fido

A nice triangular pin for CAP might be a takeoff on the design they used to puy on the old style find ribbons... the red and white pinstripe with the star on top. Nothing official, just a fun novelty item.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

DBlair

This may seem like a stupid question, but does that mean that all CG Auxiliarists may wear this or just certain units? I recently joined the CGAux and haven't yet heard about this. Also, can it be worn on CAP uniforms as it is a USCG award and not a USCGAux ribbon?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

MIKE

It's an Auxiliary-wide award, but if you are still in AP status you may not qualify.  I do not rate the CGPUC because IIRC I was still pending during the effective dates.  The award should show up in AUXINFO once the cube refreshes.

Much like CAP is supposed to be with the Unit Citations, you don't wear awards for simply being in a unit that receives them... you have to be in the unit for all or part of the cited dates to qualify.

Edit:  As to whether or not you can wear it on the CAP uniform... that depends on how you read CAPR 39-3.
Mike Johnston

NAYBOR

I say it is a military award, and therefore eligible for wear on the CAP uniform, ABOVE CAP awards.  I'm not in the USCG Aux (despite numerous attempts at contacting someone in my local flotilla via email for about 2 years), so my opinion has no bearing on MY ability to wear this.  Be proud of your USCG Unit Commendation, congratulations, and wear away! :)