Main Menu

US Flag on BDUs

Started by rebowman, April 20, 2009, 03:50:09 PM

RiverAux

Folks, most of what we can put on our BDU serves no useful purpose and this is just one of those things.  We don't need it on the flight suit either, but its been there for a long time. 

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on April 21, 2009, 11:58:01 PM
We don't need it on the flight suit either, but its been there for a long time. 

Most of us don't. I do believe that overseas units should wear the flag, or the CAP emblem patch with the US on it to identify it as part of a US organization.

Otherwise, I think that we could stand to mirror the Air Force with theirs and allow either a wing, or optional patch on that arm. I think that unit insignia should be worn on the right side, just like the Air Force. With the wing patch on the right arm, it always seemed to me that the message was that the wing was more important than the unit itself. If you're assigned to wing, it's appropriate, if assigned to a group  or squadron, it doesn't seem to be.

jb512

Quote from: BillB on April 21, 2009, 04:02:18 PM
If only the army wears the flag patch, should I tell the USAF personnal that they need to remove the patch from their flight suits?

We all know that.  If you want to discuss flight suits, then we could change the topic to that.

John Bryan

Quote from: jaybird512 on April 21, 2009, 03:35:14 PM
Quote from: Spike on April 21, 2009, 03:27:30 PM
Quote from: es_g0d on April 21, 2009, 01:14:10 AM
I love what our flag stands for, and I appreciate the United States Army, but I don't feel the need to emulate their uniforms in my Civil Air Patrol.

Only the Army wears flag patches??  Firefighters, police, some other federal agencies as well.

From military branches.  It's a military (style) uniform, not a public service uniform.

I don't think he was trying to be "Army".

They're the only branch that normally wears that flag on that style uniform.

Just FYI the US Public Health Service wears the flag on BDUs ....they are a uniformed service. So 2 of 7 wear it this way. Interesting side note the USPHS wears Navy style uniform and the USN does not wear the flag on BDUs....my point is you can wear a "style" and still do your own thing as a group or service.

Gunner C

"Unless a Corps officer is actively detailed to the Department of Defense or one of its uniformed services, officers are not authorized to wear the U.S. Flag patch. This includes both the full color version (which is the only one authorized for the Corps) or the subdued version of the U.S. Flag."

Regardless, the Army is the only service that wears its flags backwards.  Unless you include CAP imitating the Army.

PHall

Quote from: Gunner C on April 26, 2009, 04:09:54 AM
"Unless a Corps officer is actively detailed to the Department of Defense or one of its uniformed services, officers are not authorized to wear the U.S. Flag patch. This includes both the full color version (which is the only one authorized for the Corps) or the subdued version of the U.S. Flag."

Regardless, the Army is the only service that wears its flags backwards.  Unless you include CAP imitating the Army.

Ah, but the Army is not wearing the flag "backwards". The field is supposed to be to the front at all times.

"The flag never retreats."

This is the same reason why they use two different flag decals on aircraft. The blue field is always forward.

Gunner C

Quote from: PHall on April 26, 2009, 05:59:14 AM

Ah, but the Army is not wearing the flag "backwards". The field is supposed to be to the front at all times.

This is the same reason why they use two different flag decals on aircraft. The blue field is always forward.
Actually, the flag on aircraft is that way because flags were originally flown from the biplane rigging - they were viewed either way.  There were NO backwards flags that were worn before the army dictated it that were the blue field on the right side, which, BTW, changes the heraldry of the flag significantly (bar sinister/bar dexter thing).  It's a made up army fad.  Read: balony.

rjfoxx

I can't believe all this whinning.  We are AMERICANS...be proud to wear the flag at any time!!!
Major Richard J Foxx, CAP
Health Service Officer - DEWG
IG Inspector - DEWG

JayT

Quote from: rjfoxx on April 26, 2009, 11:02:11 AM
I can't believe all this whinning.  We are AMERICANS...be proud to wear the flag at any time!!!

If you need a patch to show how patriotic you are........
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

D2SK

Quote from: rjfoxx on April 26, 2009, 11:02:11 AM

I agree!
Lighten up, Francis.

PHall

Quote from: Gunner C on April 26, 2009, 09:51:01 AM
Quote from: PHall on April 26, 2009, 05:59:14 AM

Actually, the flag on aircraft is that way because flags were originally flown from the biplane rigging - they were viewed either way.  There were NO backwards flags that were worn before the army dictated it that were the blue field on the right side, which, BTW, changes the heraldry of the flag significantly (bar sinister/bar dexter thing).  It's a made up army fad.  Read: balony.

I suggest you might want to read the US Flag Code. You can find it via Google.
Hint: Aircraft are considered "vessels" and follow the same rules.

es_g0d

I just don't care to see the Air Force Auxiliary imitating the US Army in a vain attempt to "look more military."
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

PHall

I think the main thing that irritates most people about the flag patch on the BDU's is the "supposed" reason why we're wearing it and the way the change was made.

If this had gone through the normal uniform change procedures and had been voted on by the entire National Board, there probably wouldn't so much fuss about it.

MIKE

And if you did it today, it probably would have died on the floor.  Or maybe that is wishful thinking?
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Whether or not the AF does it on their uniforms, they approved letting it be on our version.  Makes no difference to me either way whether we wear it or not, though I'm generally in favor of keeping stuff on the BDUs to a minimum.

Spike

Actually......the AF did have it on their uniforms.  Before they got ABU's those Airmen assigned to Army Units or working with Army units wore ACU's, with the flag attached. 

Now....is that relevant to our discussion, probably not! 

Is it so bad to have it on the shoulder?  Is it hurting you in some way??  CAP is CAP, Army is Army, and AF is AF.  Three separate organizations.

Don't forget that the BDU's you are wearing are an Army uniform, that was shared with the other services in a "cost saving measure".

So most reasoning for not wearing the flag is mute opinions, not facts.

Aesthetics aside, what harm is it doing?  What problem is it causing, thus what solution do you "flag patch haters" propose??

Cecil DP

Since CAP does have a wartime mission, (I know, it's been 64 years), the flag is worn to show you're covered by the Geneva Convention.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

PHall

Quote from: Cecil DP on April 26, 2009, 06:49:18 PM
Since CAP does have a wartime mission, (I know, it's been 64 years), the flag is worn to show you're covered by the Geneva Convention.

That's a pretty big stretch.

Of course, if you look on a Military ID Card it has the phrase "Geneva Conventions Identification Card" on it.
If we really needed to show that we're covered by the Geneva Conventions then that phrase could be added to CAP ID card very easily.

But do we really need it?

Spike

^ Have you ever read the Geneva Convention?

There are stipulations about wearing a uniform distinctly different and identifiable from your enemy.  Flag Patches did just that during World War Two. 

es_g0d

Spike:
No, the CAP is part of the Air Force.  Drink the kool-aid, but not the stuff that CAP-USAFers are handing out!  :D
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net