Main Menu

US Flag on BDUs

Started by rebowman, April 20, 2009, 03:50:09 PM

rebowman

Why do we have the flag on our BDUs?

I thought that we (CAP) was supposed to be following the USAF uniform regulations.

The USAF does not wear the US Flag on their BDUs.

SJFedor

"Legal" answer: Because CAPM 39-1 and/or policy letters and/or national board says so.

Real answer: no idea. it's something they came up with to further irritate people like you and me.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

IceNine

Apparently you're expectations were set incorrectly.

We wear USAF style uniforms, that follow a few of the same general rules of accoutroment placement and such.  We don't follow the AF uniform regs at all.  We follow CAPM 39-1 any similarity between the 2 documents was likely intentional, but won't be cut and pasted from the AFM
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Smokey

It was due to a certain person discovering there is a Brazilian CAP and didn't want us to be confused for them when we go overseas. ;D

But then again, he came up with the third world generals uniform for us. Go figure.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

D2SK

how original -- someone complaining about uniforms on captalk.
Lighten up, Francis.

DC

Quote from: D2SK on April 20, 2009, 07:58:52 PM
In the 76 posts you have made on this forum, have you ever made a comment that was not sarcastic or outright offensive, and actually contributed to the discussion in a meaningful way?

es_g0d

rebowman: the short answer is that its because the previous National Commander, Major General Pineda, wanted it there.

My commentary on the matter is that he was infatuated with all things military, and looked to the Army's uniforms to "spruce up" Civil Air Patrol uniforms.  He invented other uniforms to satisfy ego, and finally has invented his very own organization to that end (the U.S. Ranger Corps).

I love what our flag stands for, and I appreciate the United States Army, but I don't feel the need to emulate their uniforms in my Civil Air Patrol.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Gunner C

Quote from: SJFedor on April 20, 2009, 03:53:00 PM
Real answer: no idea. it's something they came up with to further irritate people like you and me.
Mission accomplished.   ;D

D2SK

Quote from: DC on April 21, 2009, 12:36:46 AM
Quote from: D2SK on April 20, 2009, 07:58:52 PM
In the 76 posts you have made on this forum, have you ever made a comment that was not sarcastic or outright offensive, and actually contributed to the discussion in a meaningful way?

There have been three such posts.  Thank you for asking.
Lighten up, Francis.

Spike

Quote from: es_g0d on April 21, 2009, 01:14:10 AM
I love what our flag stands for, and I appreciate the United States Army, but I don't feel the need to emulate their uniforms in my Civil Air Patrol.

Only the Army wears flag patches??  Firefighters, police, some other federal agencies as well.

I don't think he was trying to be "Army".

How long have we had them now?  Enough already.  It may seem stupid, or wrong to wear them, but be a good volunteer and follow the orders of those above you.  If it is so bad, it will FAIL ON ITS OWN, with no help from anyone else. 

jb512

Quote from: Spike on April 21, 2009, 03:27:30 PM
Quote from: es_g0d on April 21, 2009, 01:14:10 AM

Only the Army wears flag patches??  Firefighters, police, some other federal agencies as well.

From military branches.  It's a military (style) uniform, not a public service uniform.

I don't think he was trying to be "Army".

They're the only branch that normally wears that flag on that style uniform.

BillB

If only the army wears the flag patch, should I tell the USAF personnal that they need to remove the patch from their flight suits?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

D2SK

Quote from: BillB on April 21, 2009, 04:02:18 PM
If only the army wears the flag patch, should I tell the USAF personnal that they need to remove the patch from their flight suits?

I'm trying to figure out why we care what anyone else wears on their uniform.  CAP uniforms aren't army, air force, navy, marine, coast guard, boy scout or any other uniforms.  They may be styled after the AF, but they are distinctive to CAP.  So, you wear a flag on your BDUs because that's what the regs say.  Stop whining and suck it up.  If you want to wear an AF uniform, go enlist.
Lighten up, Francis.

flyguy06

Well, I am in the RM and I like wearing the "AIr Force" uniform. I dont see the need to wear an American Flag on it though. I dont see the need to wear it on my Army ACU's either. It was originally supposed to be worn when doing overseas duty. But they changed the rules and hey, we role with it.  I dont like it, but I do it.

Major Lord

Other than cadets, can you imagine someone actually being "called on the carpet" for not wearing a flag on their BDU's? If they find the time to add it to the 39-1( which the Air Force might notice) I might find the time to add a flag to my BDU's. CAP Senior Members traditionally wear crappy uniforms, and its rare to see one thats actually correct. No one will notice a thing like this when there are members walking around in AF style uniforms looking like sperm whales wrapped in sea weed.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: Major Lord on April 21, 2009, 06:31:15 PM
Other than cadets, can you imagine someone actually being "called on the carpet" for not wearing a flag on their BDU's?
Major Lord

We need to set the example for our cadets.  Please wear the uniform correctly or choose to wear one of the other options.  We have a polo combo for a reason.  We don't do regular inpsection of our adult members because they are adults and should know how to follow the rules.  We should police ourselves.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

davidsinn

Quote from: LtCol Hooligan on April 21, 2009, 07:34:53 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on April 21, 2009, 06:31:15 PM
Other than cadets, can you imagine someone actually being "called on the carpet" for not wearing a flag on their BDU's?
Major Lord

We need to set the example for our cadets.  Please wear the uniform correctly or choose to wear one of the other options.  We have a polo combo for a reason.  We don't do regular inpsection of our adult members because they are adults and should know how to follow the rules.  We should police ourselves.
:clap:
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Major Lord on April 21, 2009, 06:31:15 PM...CAP Senior Members traditionally wear crappy uniforms, and its rare to see one thats actually correct. No one will notice a thing like this when there are members walking around in AF style uniforms looking like sperm whales wrapped in sea weed.

Thank God I'm one of the rare donut-eatin' s-members who wear their uniform CORRECTLY at all times. Musta been my many years as a cadink.

'Sperm whales wrapped in seaweed'?!?!? You musta seen some pretty disgusting examples (as have I)... I just can't get my twisted imagination wrapped around the adage!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

biomed441

HAHA, sorry I may never get that image out of my head again....thanks........

Anyways I'm gonna agree with AlphaSigOU that former cadets seem to be a little more...."cautious" about how they wear their uniform.  Though I know plenty of seniors that have outstanding uniforms, within AF regs (not that extra 10% we CAP'ers get) and were not cadets. Just comes down to how much you care I guess.

es_g0d

Don't misconstrue disagreement with the regulations as an unwillingness to follow them.  A leader may begin by pointing out what's wrong with a regulation.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net