Unit Citation Award criteria

Started by RiverAux, December 12, 2008, 02:21:18 AM

RiverAux

Here are the official criteria for the Unit Citation Award from CAPR 39-3 (9):
Quoteh. Unit Citation Award. Exceptionally meritorious service or exceptionally outstanding achievement which clearly sets the unit above and apart from similar units:
(1) Recognition of meritorious service should cover a period of at least 12 months in order to permit the recommending authority to consider simultaneously units
with related missions, compare all the units within their wing or region, and select the truly outstanding unit meriting the award.
(2) Recognition of outstanding achievements intended to recognize a single specific act or notable accomplishment that is separate and distinct from the
normal mission or regular function of the unit. The period of an outstanding achievement is normally short and characterized by definite beginning and ending
dates.

I'd like to talk about what you think would be great examples of the sorts of things that merit this award, specifically under the "single specific act or notable accomplishment" criteria.  I assume that the 12+ month awards are usually for those that do well on their inspections and evaluations so they aren't terribly interesting to me, though if you've got examples of awards under those criteria for another reason, that would be interesting.

I went through some old CAP News that I have looking for any unit citations where they gave an explanation or it was otherwise obvious and came up with these examples:
-NCASE Support Staff (MO Wing 1998)
-MA Wing Drill Team 2002
-After the Columbia crash UT, TX, AZ, CA and NV Wing got Unit Citations
-Suspected 9/11-related awards: NE Region HQ, CT Wing, KY Wing, St. Charles Comp Sq. Mo Wing, San Marcos Comp Sq TX Wing, NY Wing.   Northeast Region
-The Eagle and Golden Triangle Comp Squadrons in MS Wing both earned it for something on 4 Oct 2003, but I couldn't find what it was. 
-Looks like FL wing earned it for the big hurricane outbreak in late 2004.

Sidenotes-- The Garden City Flight in KS had 3 of them. 
-Saw one award for a almost 30 year period (Falcon Comp Sq AZ Wing 1973-2002) and right below it was one for a 60-year period (Sky Harbor Comp Sq AZ Wing 1 Jun 42-22 Jun 02).  That same issue had 5 unit citations for AZ Wing units. 

Overall, it looks like CAP is fairly stingy with these as there were only 10-20 a year given out, so I'm not particularly worried about it being "devalued". 

Now, I'm not terribly fond of the 12 month+ version of this criteria in general, but as long as the Squadron of Distinction is officially denied to Senior Squadrons and basically unofficially denied to small cadet and composite squadrons, it does provide a way for those squadrons to get a unit-level award from CAP. 

As far as individual event awards, I don't think I could get on board with the awards given to the drill team or the NCASE staff since they actually aren't "units" in CAP nevermind the fact that the scale of the accomplishments were fairly small.  The other examples I found seem reasonable for the most part. 

Pingree1492

Here's a copy of the award criteria for the Unit Citation Award earned by Colorado Wing in May 08:

QuoteSUBJECT: Unit Citation Award
1. I am pleased to announce that Colorado Wing has been recognized with the Unit
Citation Award for outstanding achievements, exceptional service, and a high degree of
performance during the period 01MAY08 – 31MAY08.
2. During the cited period, Colorado Wing responded to 24 AFRCC missions and
conducted seven different actual search-and-rescue missions, including a large-scale
search for a missing Cessna 310 in mountainous terrain. These search-and-rescue
missions led to 37 air sorties for 95.4 flying hours, as well as 12 ground sorties totaling
over 1251 miles. When an EF3 tornado devastated a 35-mile long path in Weld and
Larimer Counties during the Memorial Day Weekend, 48 officers and 53 cadets from
three different CO Wing groups responded, lending logistical aid to the Salvation Army.
Participation in this disaster relief effort totaled 64 ground sorties and over 6068 miles in
what was later declared a Federal Disaster Area. Colorado Wing also responded to two
additional counties' requests for disaster relief assistance, accumulating 6.8 flying hours
in Groups 2 and 4. In addition, 88 Cadet Orientation Flight sorties for a total of 56.8
hours were flown during May 2008. Overall, considering only A1, A15, and C14
mission symbols, Colorado Wing amassed 132 air sorties (159 flight hours) and 76
ground sorties (7320 miles) during the month of May in an extremely high operations
tempo. Considering all the flying for the month of May, CO Wing accumulated 373.9
total hours (not including flying in support of the National Glider Academy in New
Mexico) – exceeding the wing's highest total of the fiscal year to date by 69%.
3. Members of all four groups performed their duties in an outstanding manner,
demonstrating that Colorado Wing CAP is capable of being the first choice agency for
SAR and DR support, while still conducting CAP's other important missions. These
actions set Colorado Wing apart from units of similar fleet size and membership.

Don't know if this is what you were asking for, but there you go...
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

RiverAux

I think that sort of very specific example is helpful.