USAF swearing in recruits at CA&WS

Started by Eclipse, August 19, 2008, 02:07:41 PM

Eclipse

Frankly I think this is pretty cool, they did something similar at Airfest earlier this year with the Thunderbirds.

My question is, if this is "swearing in recruits", why are several already in service dress, and one with a red beret?

Re-affirmation?  They don't look like Academy or CAP.

http://www.af.mil/news/story_media.asp?id=123111314

Is this their "real" oath, or largely ceremonial?

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Oaths of Enlistment are administered by a comissioned officer (the 2-star(?) with the microphone).  Those already wearing uniforms may be re-enlisting, which requires reciting the oath again (or they're JROTC cadets of some sort...)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

hatentx

I know the army is good for haveing a bunch of people reenlist at one time for photo ops.  I remimber a bunch of people signing the cotract and then were told to wait almost 4 months so they could have the largest number of people reenlist in a combat zone.  it was shortly after the surge and before Gen Patrous was giving his brief to congress

PHall

Just about every airshow that the Thunderbirds and the Blue Angels do at a military base usually has a swearing in ceremony for new enlistees and for those reenlisting. It's one of their PA gigs.

IceNine

I always dig the dove tail or whatever NIN calls that thing on the flight cap.

I can't make mine work like that but I guess I'm not supposed to.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Pylon

At the McGuire Air Expo a few years back, the AF people grabbed a bunch of CAP cadets and civilians and asked them to walk out with the enlistees to "pad the crowd" of those taking the enlistment oath. 

It's primarily a PA promo/photo op so I guess it doesn't really matter - people stage photos and PR gigs all the time.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

lordmonar

Eclipse,

About those in uniform.....it may also be a re-enlistment ceremony, it's the same oath.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Flying Pig

I would say the red beret clad gentleman is a USAF Combat Controller.  Either that or JROTC Cadets.

stratoflyer

At any rate, good for them! Best of luck to them.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

PHall

Quote from: IceNine on August 19, 2008, 04:51:09 PM
I always dig the dove tail or whatever NIN calls that thing on the flight cap.

I can't make mine work like that but I guess I'm not supposed to.

It's a DUCK TAIL, dove tails are pretty wimpy.

NIN

I always called it a "fish-tail" (as in "Your car is sliding all over the road" fish tail..)

;)

As for the dudes in uniform, they're both wearing badges on their right pockets of some sort. My guess is that they're recruiters and they're swearing in their recruits.. or something like that.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

IceNine

When I was in DEP, anytime someone from our area was granted leave after basic they were TDY to the recruiter's, there was some loophole type reason they did this but we saw a lot of them over the course of a year.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

jimmydeanno

Quote from: IceNine on August 20, 2008, 03:28:56 AM
When I was in DEP, anytime someone from our area was granted leave after basic they were TDY to the recruiter's, there was some loophole type reason they did this but we saw a lot of them over the course of a year.

It's the Recruiter Assistance Program.  There is usually some time between when you get out of BMT and tech school.  It gives you an opportunity to visit family and such and gets the recruiting staff some "extra" help that they could definitely use.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill