Uniforms- the typical newbee question

Started by sburrows, August 15, 2008, 04:52:58 PM

sburrows

I bet this is somewhere on this forum but darn, I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for....

I am a new senior member and VERY confused about uniform options. I've been reading CAP Manual 39-1 (CIVIL AIR PATROL UNIFORM MANUAL) and trying to get a handle on what options there are and how to go about purchasing....

at one of my first meeting, one of the other senior members told me about the Hock Shop (thehock.com) as one option.

Since my squadron seems to gravitate towards BDUs (from what I've seen so far during my first few meetings), I'm thinking that should be my first purchase....

Guess I'm just really confused on options... Rip-Stop or Poly/Cotton; Jungle boots combat boots.... eash!

Is there a resources I can turn to help figure this stuff out?????

Is there a better options for purchase (i.e. good stuff and at good prices??) I ask this because I did find several threads for online shopping but looking at the different types of BDU's, my fear is I purchase something and then stick out like a sore thumb...

Stephen Burrows, Capt., CAP
Stratford Eagles Squadron; CTWG
Squadron Finance Officer
Squadron Assistant Medical Officer

addo1

Quote from: sburrows on August 15, 2008, 04:52:58 PM
I bet this is somewhere on this forum but darn, I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for....

I am a new senior member and VERY confused about uniform options. I've been reading CAP Manual 39-1 (CIVIL AIR PATROL UNIFORM MANUAL) and trying to get a handle on what options there are and how to go about purchasing....

at one of my first meeting, one of the other senior members told me about the Hock Shop (thehock.com) as one option.

Since my squadron seems to gravitate towards BDUs (from what I've seen so far during my first few meetings), I'm thinking that should be my first purchase....

Guess I'm just really confused on options... Rip-Stop or Poly/Cotton; Jungle boots combat boots.... eash!

Is there a resources I can turn to help figure this stuff out?????

Is there a better options for purchase (i.e. good stuff and at good prices??) I ask this because I did find several threads for online shopping but looking at the different types of BDU's, my fear is I purchase something and then stick out like a sore thumb...

Well, there is the Hock, and there is also Vanguard.  If you are just needing BDUs, then I would find your neares Army Navy or military supply, as they tend to have good prices.

As to jungle/combat boots or rip stop/poly cotton, that is really a matter your personal opinion.  I personally like the combat boots the best.  Some people think one are more comfortable than another.. I would go online and look at user reviews for that boot and what people say about it.

If you want to look at all the different uniforms, the uniform manual is still your best choice...

Hope that helped some...
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

lordmonar

A lot of what you are asking about is mainly a quesiton of personal preference.

Basically...

BDUs come in two flavors...summer-weight and winter-weight.  The "rip-stop" is the summer-weight version.  It is lighter but does not last as long.

For boots you got three basic flavors.

Black all leather, black nylon and green nylon (IIRC).

Again it is a matter of preference.

Af what you have to buy....

You need:
1. Civil Air Patrol Tape
2. Name Tape
3. U.S. Flag (reverse)
4. Wing Patch (check with unit to see if this is manditory)
5. cloth Rank (1 for hat, 2 for collars) or CAP cut outs (2 for collars...nothing on hat).
6. BDU shirt
7. BDU Pants
8. BDU Hat

Now some notes:
Some units use squadorn hats...no rank is worn on that hat and you will not need to buy a BDU hat as you will use the squadron ball cap.
Weather you go with summer-weight or winter-weight BDUs the pants, shirt and hat all must match.  

The Hock Shop has some packaged deals and they will make sure you get all the right stuff.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

IceNine

First off welcome to Captalk.

Now, as for uniforms I am a strong advocate of new members only buying the Blue Polo Shirt and wearing the grey slacks, black belt, black shoes combination.

This uniform will suffice for everything you will do in your first 6 months or so.  If after that time you are going to stick with the program then you should consider buying other options for uniforms.

IF, however you are stuck on buying BDU's the best quality bdu's are made by Propper.  The different blends are for different climates.  The more cotton the warmer the bdu's are.  So choose for your area.

You can order propper bdu's from a few dozen sources just do a quick search.

As for the tapes you can order from thehock, but the quality of embroidered items from the hock tends to be a little lax.

While we don't have many good things to say about vanguard they are your best option for embroidered badges, tapes etc.

I hope this helps
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Opinions...

Vanguard for CAP-specific insignia.
http://www.vanguardmil.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6&zenid=6542293e4c2c9b7e4fe86bef12cbf48a

BDU.com for BDU's and related accessories.  http://www.bdu.com

Nametapes: http://1800nametape.com/
(use the "white on blue" in the colored law enforcement section)

Leather Flight suit / jacket nametags: http://www.flightbadge.com/

AAFES, or your local on-base military clothing sales, for service dress and related items.
http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4960&p=109877&hilit=AAFES#p109877

eBay, your local military supply store, and other online outlets for whatever they happen to have.
http://search.ebay.com/civil-air-patrol_W0QQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300

The Hock only in an emergency, or if they are carrying something difficult to find elsewhere. The  majority of what he sells are knock-offs with color, detail, and quality issues, or mil-spec items available cheaper elsewhere.

"That Others May Zoom"

sburrows

Quote from: IceNine on August 15, 2008, 05:19:00 PM
Now, as for uniforms I am a strong advocate of new members only buying the Blue Polo Shirt and wearing the grey slacks, black belt, black shoes combination.

Thanks to all who've posted... what I didn't mention in my original post was that I am a pilot and will likely start with scanner duties. One of the reasons I am leaning towards the BDUs is for that reason.......
Squadron Finance Officer

Eclipse

Some aircrew types will tell you BDU's aren't for wear in the plane, however I do it all the with no issue - the boots can be a bit cumbersome if you have big feet, especially.

Ice's comment about sticking to the basic golf shirt combo until you see if yo like CAP is good advice, you can do all aircrew duties in them (unless you're in CAWG), and they will be comfortable and cheap.

"That Others May Zoom"

addo1

Quote from: Eclipse on August 15, 2008, 05:50:10 PM
Some aircrew types will tell you BDU's aren't for wear in the plane, however I do it all the with no issue - the boots can be a bit cumbersome if you have big feet, especially.

Ice's comment about sticking to the basic golf shirt combo until you see if yo like CAP is good advice, you can do all aircrew duties in them (unless you're in CAWG), and they will be comfortable and cheap.

Tell me about it...  :)
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

sburrows

Great, I do....... and all this time, my mom joked about my sneakers being huge 'like combat boots'. Little did she know!  :D

I think I overheard them say that it was BDUs or Flight suit..... not sure though
Squadron Finance Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: sburrows on August 15, 2008, 06:00:45 PM

Great, I do....... and all this time, my mom joked about my sneakers being huge 'like combat boots'. Little did she know!  :D

I think I overheard them say that it was BDUs or Flight suit..... not sure though

A unit commander is free to indicate uniforms of the day or for specific missions, however unless your wing has an approved uniform supplement, any CAP uniform, including service dress, is approved for wear during aircrew operations.

There is also a non-Nomex jumpsuit option which looks identical to the Nomex flightsuit which is a good compromise to the expense of a flight suit without giving up the look or function.

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

My preference since the beginning of my time has always been jump boots. They're easy to break in and hold up well.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Eclipse

I concur, preferring the ones with the side zippers, but as to being "easy to break in", I don't know about that.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

I've been wearing these for 6 years now [the same pair].  They're comfortable, breathable, lightweight and easily shinable.  There was no breakin period due to the flex points being made of nylon:

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

afgeo4

Nothing beats ICBs (infantry combat boots) for break in, durability and comfort. The new technology (welcome to the 21st Century guys) is in this case unbeatable. Vibram soles and the likes are amazing and easy to resole down the road.

ICBs are regular issue for all branches now and are made by Wellco, Belleville and Bates. They come in hot weather (leather/cordura), temperate weather (leather/cordura with gore-tex lining), and all leather.

Best soles are TuffKushion in Wellco and Vibram in Belleville and Bates.

All choices above also come with or without steel safety toe.
GEORGE LURYE

DC

I'm a big fan of Jungle Boots, from a pure comfort standpoint.

Jungle Boots = Cooler in hot weather
                         Do not retain water
                         More comfortable in hot weather
                         Less leather to shine  :angel:

Combat Boots = Warmer in Cold Weather
                           Better ankle support
                           Better protection

As far as BDUs, it depends on your climate. If you are in a predominatly warm area, I would go with the Rip-Stop. If you are in a cooler area, the Poly-Cotton Twill.

Also beware of the quality of what you are getting, Propper is the best way to go, other knock offs (such as Rothco) will probably be okay for meetings and light work, but any serious ES work will destroy them..

Pylon

The Hock also sells "Complete Sets" which include the uniform, footwear and all the appropriate minimum insignia.  Can't speak to the quality or value, but here's the package page: 

http://www.thehock.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=642100&cat=27&;
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SJFedor

Quote from: Eclipse on August 15, 2008, 07:21:36 PM
I concur, preferring the ones with the side zippers, but as to being "easy to break in", I don't know about that.

Compared to jungle boots.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on August 15, 2008, 07:52:49 PM
The Hock also sells "Complete Sets" which include the uniform, footwear and all the appropriate minimum insignia.  Can't speak to the quality or value, but here's the package page: 

http://www.thehock.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=642100&cat=27&

Not recommended, but you get what you pay for.

I would get the Nylon Cotton Ripstop EHWBDU with matching cap...  And get the insignia from Vanguard.
Mike Johnston

JoeTomasone

If you are in a warm climate, I would also suggest spending a little extra for wicking socks and BDU undershirts.   I use Nike "Dri-Feet" socks from a sporting goods store and wicking undershirts from the local AFB AAFES store - I can't recall what brand. 

IceNine

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 15, 2008, 07:28:58 PM
I've been wearing these for 6 years now [the same pair].  They're comfortable, breathable, lightweight and easily shinable.  There was no breakin period due to the flex points being made of nylon:

I too wear these, and love them.  The only time I don't wear these boots is for SAR when I wear my bates waterproof, insulated, sidezip, safety toe boots.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4