Unit Citation Award Question

Started by DrDave, January 01, 2008, 12:54:22 AM

DrDave

Can the Unit Citation Award be awarded to units other than squadrons or flights?  Can it be awarded to Groups?

I seem to remember past comments on CAPtalk about individuals having multiple Unit Citation awards (was that on the "Show Us Your Rack" thread?), with the explaination that they received them while members of a Group (or Wing??) which received the award "en masse", so to speak.

Any supporting evidence, specific examples, would be greatly appreciated and very helpful.

Thanks,
Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

jimmydeanno

The Unit Citation can be awarded to any CAP unit.  This includes groups.

Just after 9/11 the entire NER recieved a UC.

So, if your group does something spectacular, they could get one.

Just don't confuse unit citations given to say "Group Headquarters" with a UC awarded to the entire group.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

IceNine

Eclipse is part of a group that received on a couple years ago.

So it does happen
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

mikeylikey

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 01, 2008, 12:56:44 AM
The Unit Citation can be awarded to any CAP unit.  This includes groups.

Just after 9/11 the entire NER received a UC.

So, if your group does something spectacular, they could get one.

Just don't confuse unit citations given to say "Group Headquarters" with a UC awarded to the entire group.

Was that just NER Headquarters, or all of NER to include everyone in NER?  If so, got to fix my paperwork then.
What's up monkeys?

Capt M. Sherrod

Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

MIKE

Everyone assigned to NER... All subordinate units (During the cited dates mind you  ;) ).. If an award is for just the HQ, it usually states it as such.  I have a copy of the paperwork in my file. (Which I really need to see about getting backed up somehow.)
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

^  Wow......learned something new this evening.  Possibly the last new thing I will ever learn in 2007!  :D

Now to break out my ribbons.
What's up monkeys?

Hawk200

The only Unit Citation I have is one that was awarded to the entire California wing after the '94 quake. Actually did a lot of that quake relief, too.

Eclipse

Quote from: IceNine on January 01, 2008, 01:23:11 AM
Eclipse is part of a group that received on a couple years ago.

So it does happen

Jut for clarity, ours was awarded to Group HQ, not the subordinate units or members.

"That Others May Zoom"

PhoenixRisen

Is there an official source one can go to to see UC's awarded to a certain wing (and subordinate units within said wing)?  Specifically speaking of CA Wing, if it helps.  A few of the senior Cadets in my squadron wear a UC ribbon, and being that I won't see them for a while, I'm curious to see if I can find the reason why they've got it.  (I know it's legit, FYI - I just don't know the actual thing that our wing/group participated in for them to get it.)

IceNine

this could also have been awarded to the squadron.  And if so there should be a copy of the award script on file at the unit level.  Otherwise you will have to go up the chain because as far as I am aware there is no documentation site for this award
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

PHall

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on January 02, 2008, 12:17:38 AM
Is there an official source one can go to to see UC's awarded to a certain wing (and subordinate units within said wing)?  Specifically speaking of CA Wing, if it helps.  A few of the senior Cadets in my squadron wear a UC ribbon, and being that I won't see them for a while, I'm curious to see if I can find the reason why they've got it.  (I know it's legit, FYI - I just don't know the actual thing that our wing/group participated in for them to get it.)

The entire wing was awarded a Unit Citation for the Space Shuttle Columbia recovery mission.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: PHall on January 02, 2008, 01:17:55 AM

The entire wing was awarded a Unit Citation for the Space Shuttle Columbia recovery mission.

Given the time of service these Cadets have - that would make a lot of sense.  Thanks!

SarDragon

The dates on that are: 1 Feb 03 through 4 Mar 03. Award effective 27 Aug 03.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Maj Ballard

L. Ballard, Major, CAP

mikeylikey

Quote from: SarDragon on January 02, 2008, 07:30:14 AM

The dates on that are: 1 Feb 03 through 4 Mar 03. Award effective 27 Aug 03.

That seems like an awfully long inclusion period.  Didn't recovery ops on the ground only last for 1 month?  If so, how can it be a year long inclusion period.  Members joined and recieved it that had no participation in said activity. 
What's up monkeys?

Capt M. Sherrod

Ummm.... 1 Feb to 4 Mar is about 31 days....   ???
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

mikeylikey

Quote from: 1st Lt M. Sherrod on January 03, 2008, 01:34:09 AM

Wow......I don't know what happened right now.  Sorry.  I just proved to everyone I am a total idiot!  Next time I will read the post twice, and wow..............   :-[ :-[ :-[
What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 03, 2008, 01:38:41 AM
Quote from: 1st Lt M. Sherrod on January 03, 2008, 01:34:09 AM

Wow......I don't know what happened right now.  Sorry.  I just proved to everyone I am a total idiot!  Next time I will read the post twice, and wow..............   :-[ :-[ :-[

Dont feel bad, I also totally saw it as being Feb to Aug.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

ThorntonOL

After reading this it brings up a good question.
How many unit citations does NY wing and Northeast Region have earn for all units in those respected areas since fall 2000?
Also where can I find the answer I'm looking for?
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron