Main Menu

BDU creases

Started by ladyreferee, June 26, 2007, 08:35:22 PM

ladyreferee

First of all, I'm not asking about military creases that start at the pockets.  I know those are prohibited.  Is there anything that states that creases are to be in the sleeves of the BDU blouse, and/or down the front of the BDU pants?  Thanks!
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

MIKE

No, but it does say that uniforms are to be pressed.

Quote from: CAPM 39-12-1. ... Uniforms must be clean, neat and correct in design and specifications, fitted properly, pressed and in good condition (that is not frayed, worn out, torn, faded, patched, and so forth). Uniform items are to be kept zipped, snapped, or buttoned. Shoes are to be shined and in good repair. NOTE: All ribbons, badges, and devices worn by senior
members must fall below the top notch of the collar on the service coat or the bottom tip of the collar of shirts/blouses worn as outergarments. ...
Mike Johnston

O-Rex

Unless you use starch or sizing, creases don't hold too well on BDU's

Way back, I knew a guy who had one of those "hanging pant-stretchers"

you put each pant-leg is this wire-form, and they would dry with a crease.

They worked pretty nice, but I haven't seen one of those things in years.

RogueLeader

Why are we not allowed to have creases, and where do the regs say that.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Quote from: RogueLeader on June 26, 2007, 09:19:16 PM

Why do we want creases in a utility uniform in the first place?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RogueLeader

Quote from: SarDragon on June 26, 2007, 09:21:26 PM

Why do we want creases in a utility uniform in the first place?
Living w/ brother- in army, nice lectures about uniform wear.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

shorning

You're not allowed to have military creases.  Your sleeves and pants still can have creases, but it is not required.  "Pressed" is what's required.

ddelaney103

In the AF, you want to at least start the day "unwrinkled."  For most jobs you won't get your uniform too messed up doing non-field, non-maintenance work.

Since you're not using starch and BDU's (esp the winter ones) tend not to hold a crease, I wouldn't sweat it.

RogueLeader

Where does it say we are not allowed to have starch or mil creases.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hawk200

Quote from: RogueLeader on June 26, 2007, 11:23:48 PM

It doesn't say no starch. I use a little fabric sizing on mine every now and then. Can't use starch, I'm allergic to it.

As for military creases, check Table 2-1 in 39-1. It states "Military creases are prohibited." That is for both shirts and blouses. If you want to get technical, it doesn't forbid them on BDU's, but it's kinda pointless on utility uniforms.

Stonewall

Listen to the AF types like ddelaney103 and shorning.  Keep your uniform neat, clean and pressed, but don't sweat over the starch.  Like Delaney said, you don't want to start your day of wrinkled.

Serving since 1987.

SARMedTech

I just still cant figure out why anyone would want to crease a field uniform (ie BDU). Whats the point?  Talking of starch and sizing however, does anyone have any knowledge about whether starch will help the trouser blousing and rolled sleeves hold their "form" better. Those are the two things that set me through the roof when they look bad.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SarDragon

Well, the starch is covered by the label inside the blouse and trousers.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

Quote from: SARMedTech on June 27, 2007, 01:28:46 AM
I just still cant figure out why anyone would want to crease a field uniform (ie BDU). Whats the point?  Talking of starch and sizing however, does anyone have any knowledge about whether starch will help the trouser blousing and rolled sleeves hold their "form" better. Those are the two things that set me through the roof when they look bad.

In the Air Force, it's not just a field uniform, it's a work uniform for garrison (on base) airmen.  Guys that work in shops, clinics, school houses, and if you're Security Police, you're working gates or on patrol.  Same goes for CAP.  BDUs are a uniform worn at encampments, special activities that have nothing to do with "the field" and of course, weekly meetings.  As a CAP ground pounder, I would always come home from weekly meetings and hang up my BDUs incase I got called out for a mission; they'd still look good enough for likely encounter with public safety officials, military types at a base/post, or heading up to a tower before doing a ramp check.  Not starched or crispy, but professional enough to deal with non-CAPers who judge you on your first appearance.  Better that than pulling a nasty, smelly pair of BDUs from the hamper from last week's FTX through the swamp.

That's why.
Serving since 1987.

SARMedTech

When I said "field" uniform, I didnt actually mean just in the field, though obviously thats what it sounds like I meant. I meant that it was a working uniform and Im aware of all of its uses and the fact that the uses and general all purpose nature of the BDU has increased exponentially over the years. Hell, Ive seen General Officers testify before congress in their BDUs. Sorry if my misuse of the word "field" caused it to sound like I didnt know what the uniform is about. Totally my fault.

Being a newbie, I wonder if someone could enlighten me on the difference in attitude from USAF personnel and how they react to someone who wears the BBDUs instead of camos. I suspect i know the answer but would like to hear some personnel since my experience thus far is limited.

Thanks.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Stonewall

Quote from: SARMedTech on June 27, 2007, 02:21:43 AM
Being a newbie, I wonder if someone could enlighten me on the difference in attitude from USAF personnel and how they react to someone who wears the BBDUs instead of camos. I suspect i know the answer but would like to hear some personnel since my experience thus far is limited.

My opinion shouldn't count since I'm biased being both AF (ANG) and CAP, but I'll give you my opinion anyway.  I don't like BBDUs.  My opinion has always been OD Jungle Fatigues.  People will argue to the death, but that's my opinion.

I think we've had several threads on this subject and I'm not sure if we should steal the "BDU creases" thread and turn it into a BBDU one.
Serving since 1987.

floridacyclist

As a former SP, I still starch my BDUs (even the blue ones). Why? Because it shows that I still care enough to at least try to project as military an image as possible. In the AF, we kept two sets of uniforms, one of day-to-day that had the living daylights starched out of them and that we wore with our highly-polished jump boots, and we kept a complete issue of un-pressed uniforms in our duffel bags for deployments.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

davedove

Quote from: floridacyclist on June 27, 2007, 02:59:29 AM
In the AF, we kept two sets of uniforms, one of day-to-day that had the living daylights starched out of them and that we wore with our highly-polished jump boots, and we kept a complete issue of un-pressed uniforms in our duffel bags for deployments.

That's the way to do it.  In the military, where camouflage is important, you don't want sharp creases in the field, as it lessens the camo effect.  You want frumpy clothing that blends into the environment.

None of which has anything to do with CAP, of course.

Personally, I never starch any field uniform.  I press it nicely for the start of the day, and if it's a bit wrinkled at the end of the day, it just means I've been doing something.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

jimmydeanno

Doesn't the military tell you not to starch you BDUs because it ruins the IR signature of the material making you more visible to the enemy?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

floridacyclist

Yes, which is why we kept two sets, one for show and one for the field. The field BDUs in our deployment bags had never seen starch or an iron.

I find it interesting how many things people point at and say "But the RealAirForce@ does it such-and-such a way", and it's even funnier how many of them have never been in the AF. I made a remark the other day that CAP tries to out-military the military by making up their own rules and them defending them by saying "That's how the AF does it".

Just for the record (and to dispell some of the most common misperceptions that I've heard) , we starched our BDUs, spit-shined our boots, bloused our pants over our boots by tucking them in and draping them neatly over the side (unless we were in the field, then we pegged them down tightly to keep from snagging on brush and making noise), and went through a formal inspection every day at Guardmount.

Incidentally, I just bought a set of used BDUs on Ebay from a Drill Sgt at Ft Jackson and they came starched stiffly enough to play Wipeout on.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

RogueLeader

Quote from: floridacyclist on June 27, 2007, 12:39:01 PM
they came starched stiffly enough to play Wipeout on.

Turn them into a drum set, huh? ??? Wow. . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ladyreferee

I asked about creases in BDU's for the reason that some cadets have it in their heads that they have to be creased and if they aren't, the cadet gets marked down on inspection.  My sons both iron their own BDUs and won't even wear their blouses in the car to the meeting (40 minute drive) so that there aren't any wrinkles, yet will, depending on who is performing the inspection, get marked down!  Bugs me and them, especially since it isn't required.
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

Eclipse

All but the set in my 72 hour gear (crammed and jammed in the bottom) are starched like cardboard
by the cleaners and have never been machine washed.

The result is that after years of hard wear, even in the actual field, they still look and feel new.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on June 27, 2007, 09:26:47 PM
All but the set in my 72 hour gear (crammed and jammed in the bottom) are starched like cardboard by the cleaners and have never been machine washed.

??? ??? ???

And how do the cleaners clean them? They, to the best of my knowledge, use giant size front load washing machines with water and some kind of soap or detergent. Then they get dunked in starch, and pressed on the big pressing machine.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

Quote from: floridacyclist on June 27, 2007, 02:59:29 AMAs a former SP, I still starch my BDUs (even the blue ones). Why? Because it shows that I still care enough to at least try to project as military an image as possible. In the AF, we kept two sets of uniforms, one of day-to-day that had the living daylights starched out of them and that we wore with our highly-polished jump boots, and we kept a complete issue of un-pressed uniforms in our duffel bags for deployments.

Boy does that bring back memories.  I started out in SAC as an Air Policeman (AP) and I remember wearing weights in our pant legs. ;)  They weren't called BDUs then, they were fatigues.

Brian Billing

Tags - MIKE

Grumpy

Oops!  I was supposed to be replying to Gene but it looks like it was my statement.

Sorry ::)

Brian Billing

Sgt. Savage

Quote from: ladyreferee on June 27, 2007, 09:20:54 PM
I asked about creases in BDU's for the reason that some cadets have it in their heads that they have to be creased and if they aren't, the cadet gets marked down on inspection.  My sons both iron their own BDUs and won't even wear their blouses in the car to the meeting (40 minute drive) so that there aren't any wrinkles, yet will, depending on who is performing the inspection, get marked down!  Bugs me and them, especially since it isn't required.

Major,

I would suggest making the DCC aware of the regulation, open a discussion regarding the spirit of the reg, and suggest that promoting a system of demerit that punishes cadets for not meeting a standard that not only exceeds the regulation but, sets an unrealistic expectation for performance might be hazing.

We have our own uniform problems in my squadron. Some set the standard, some exceed it, and some don't even try to come close to it. It's the ones that put no effort forward that require remedial training in the wear of the uniform as well as a talk regarding respecting the uniform and those who give us the privilege of wearing it.

That having been said, creases are not required. Presenting a pressed appearance is. Starch is helpful. Polish is needed to keep boots looking good. All of these things are reflections of personal discipline and reflect favorably on the individual and the corp.

SARMedTech

"Corpsman Up!"

Grumpy

Quote from: floridacyclist on June 27, 2007, 02:59:29 AM
As a former SP, I still starch my BDUs (even the blue ones). Why? Because it shows that I still care enough to at least try to project as military an image as possible. In the AF, we kept two sets of uniforms, one of day-to-day that had the living daylights starched out of them and that we wore with our highly-polished jump boots, and we kept a complete issue of un-pressed uniforms in our duffel bags for deployments.

81170 or 81172?

LtCol White

Basically, required by regs or not, each unit needs to determine what the requirement for their meetings and activies for the BDU's and communicate it to the members. Nothing prevents a Sq from enacting a requirement like this.

Clearly they look sharp all pressed and creased. For this reason, many of my cadets have 2 sets - one for the field and one for meetings/public events. This is a good practice for promoting a squared away image for CAP.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Cadet Airman First Class

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 26, 2007, 11:37:48 PM

It doesn't say no starch. I use a little fabric sizing on mine every now and then. Can't use starch, I'm allergic to it.

As for military creases, check Table 2-1 in 39-1. It states "Military creases are prohibited." That is for both shirts and blouses. If you want to get technical, it doesn't forbid them on BDU's, but it's kinda pointless on utility uniforms.
In my squadron (NQH-OS-126) we have military creases, but we don't have much of a choice since we live on and airforce base they don't do anything else and you can't do it at home very well. so we take them to the military shops :) ;D
C/A1C

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Cadet  Airman Basic Cutler on March 16, 2011, 05:32:26 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on June 26, 2007, 11:37:48 PM

In my squadron (NQH-OS-126) we have military creases, but we don't have much of a choice since we live on and airforce base they don't do anything else and you can't do it at home very well. so we take them to the military shops :) ;D
You put two creases down the front of your blouse and three down the back? That is military creasing. Creasing your sleeves and your trousers isn't military creasing. There is a big difference and I would highly suggest you ensure you know the difference. Otherwise you could get your chain of command into some trouble by saying they make you use military creases.