Vanguard BDUs ,are they compliant?

Started by SMWOG, December 08, 2015, 01:44:05 AM

SMWOG

I have been reading up on CAPM 39-1. It indicates that the BDUs are a USAF uniform. It states that all USAF clothing must have the USAF certification label. The Vanguard BDU has no DOD or USAF certification label. So are the VG  BDUs a military uniform? 

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

almostspaatz

I don't think there would be any new sets of BDUs inspected by the USAF since they don't use that uniform anymore...
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Capt Thompson

Quote from: almostspaatz on December 08, 2015, 03:07:08 AM
I don't think there would be any new sets of BDUs inspected by the USAF since they don't use that uniform anymore...

Correct, the bdu's VG sells are from Propper, which is a gov't supplier, and they are made to gov't spec, but none of the branches currently use them, so they are no longer inspected. If you order a set elsewhere, unless they are surplus they won't be inspected either, but they are correct.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

almostspaatz

Really interesting....

on another note:
"It managed to get about 17,000 sets of BDUs; each soldier going through the JOTC is issued two sets. So far, 3,500 sets have been issued"
^they must not be ordering from vanguard....they'd still be waiting  >:D
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: almostspaatz on December 09, 2015, 03:56:44 AM
Really interesting....

on another note:
"It managed to get about 17,000 sets of BDUs; each soldier going through the JOTC is issued two sets. So far, 3,500 sets have been issued"
^they must not be ordering from vanguard....they'd still be waiting  >:D

Really? Because I get my orders in under a week, which is...eight times faster than the Hock ever was.

almostspaatz

They have gotten better...but my first BDU pants (a few years back) took 2 months...
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: almostspaatz on December 10, 2015, 06:34:37 PM
They have gotten better...but my first BDU pants (a few years back) took 2 months...

Did you inquire why?

SarDragon

I've made about a dozen orders from Vanguard since CAP Mart shut down, and all have been filled within two weeks or less, except one item - a black leather jacket in giganto size. It took three weeks.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Full time cadet

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on December 08, 2015, 04:28:29 AM

Correct, the bdu's VG sells are from Propper, which is a gov't supplier, and they are made to gov't spec, but none of the branches currently use them, so they are no longer inspected. If you order a set elsewhere, unless they are surplus they won't be inspected either, but they are correct.

Its not from Propper. The current bdus are VANGUARD branded. Yes, they made them.

SarDragon

I doubt that Vanguard makes their own. They buy them from a manufacturer, with a Vanguard brand label in them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capt Thompson

Quote from: Full time cadet on December 11, 2015, 05:37:21 AM
Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on December 08, 2015, 04:28:29 AM

Its not from Propper. The current bdus are VANGUARD branded. Yes, they made them.

Interesting, last set of BBDU's I got from them (maybe 3 months ago) were Propper branded. How are the quality, I'm sure they have Rothco make them and slap a Vanguard label on them.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

almostspaatz

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on December 10, 2015, 10:16:40 PM
Quote from: almostspaatz on December 10, 2015, 06:34:37 PM

Did you inquire why?

Yes I called and they said the manufacturer (Propper) was on back order. My recent purchases (pretty much everything since that) has been punctual.
C/Maj Steve Garrett

TheSkyHornet

From a regulatory/compliance auditor standpoint, if they are required to have a marking indicative of certification/inspection to standards, then not having that mark would put them out of compliance.

That being said, does this really make it a big deal for our purposes? We're not going to be issuing findings to Vanguard.

Damron

Woodland BDU's are still in limited use by Army, Navy, and Marines.