Uniforms sources:

Started by Cliff_Chambliss, October 29, 2015, 01:00:18 PM

Cliff_Chambliss

Much discussion concerning access to the PX/Clothing Sales Stores and/or why Vanguard has or does not have uniform items.  Yet there is another source I either missed seeing addressed or it has been overlooked.  Base Thrift Shops.  If a person can get on base, the thrift shop is worth a visit.  Frequently serviceable uniform items can be found on the cheap.  As most thrift shops are run by wives clubs they are not part of the PX/BX system and not bound by the same restrictions.  True, selections may be limited but looking is free and if you find something...
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Anthony@CAP

It is a great suggestion. My old squadron had a great relationship with the nearby base, when the base thrift shop had excess that they didn't know what to do with, they would hand off the excess uniform items for free. Over the three years I was there we probably picked up maybe 200 sets of blues uniforms that way (and they redistributed to other squadron in the area), as well as a number of BDUs (although that trickled off substantially). We had similar relationships with local JROTC units, if they had excess they needed to get rid of we would pick them up (the most common was dress shoes and BDUs). Both were great relationships and we always made sure to send back a thank you note to the thrift shop or JROTC unit. It's not just access and purchase, but sometimes just letting them know you there and asking if there's anyway they could help - you never know the offer you might get.

Ned

And not just for cadets!  I found a mess dress in my size at a very reasonable price.

Thrift shops are definitely worth a look.

Garibaldi

I've found some good stuff at Goodwill. Air Force PT shorts and shirts, an occasional blues jacket and trousers, and every so often a blues shirt. No hats, ties or belts, but some fairly well-used dress shoes. Once, even an Army dress uniform, the whites. It's very rare, but with Dobbins ARB nearby, nearly all the Goodwill stores in my area have SOMETHING available. Oh, BDUs are sometimes available.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

TheTravelingAirman

I've made trips down that way on leave. Dobbins' Thrift Store is nice if you can get on base (for the 2 or 3 days a month they're open). Talk to the right person and they may donate some of the longer-lasting stuff they've been unable to sell. No promises, it's been over a year since my last trip to Atlanta, and thus Dobbins.