Using Community Service prior to CAP to qualify for the CSR

Started by USAFRiggerGuy, May 11, 2015, 06:30:21 PM

USAFRiggerGuy

I have read through the regulation and the countless threads of CSRs and have not seen my question answered.  I apologize if I had missed it in another thread.  My question is: 

Can I use my countless hours of community service that I have already performed to earn the CSR?  While I was in the USAF I performed community service activities regularly.  This isn't a huge deal to me that I get it right away and I don't mind, and intend to, do more CS work with my cadets.

I know you have to have 60 verifiable hours, which I have, but do I have to earn those hours while in CAP?  Or,  Can I use the hours I earned previously before becoming a SM.

Thank you for your help on this topic!
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Broomfield Composite Squadron
RMR-CO-099
Proud USAF Veteran (SSgt)

BFreemanMA

I don't believe the reg specifically stipulates that the hours need to be from when one was a CAP member, so it would be up to the commander's discretion. Personally, since it is a CAP 'reward' for providing volunteer service in addition to one's CAP duties, I would expect a letter to be from within a member's service. However, YMMV. Check with your commander for their interpretation.
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

Alaric

The regulation may not say it, but I hope people would see why its implied.  If you can go back, then what's the statute of limitations (most decorations require it be within 2 years of the event.)  Also, that would set a terrible precedent, if that was allowed, could you put someone in for a Medal of Valor based on something they did prior to CAP membership? an achievement award? a lifesaving? 

PHall

The only question I have is have you used those previous community service hours to earn a Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal?
If you did then that might be considered "double dipping".

PA Guy

In my mind the spirit and intent of the reg. is clear. It is meant to recognize work done while a member of CAP. Having said that I am sure all of the barracks/sea lawyers on this site will offer all kinds of rationalizations to justify receiving the award for work done while not a member of CAP.

I guess in the final analysis it comes down to an individual's sense of integrity.

kwe1009

I side with those that think it should be for service performed while a CAP member.  As for using the hours to get the CSR and the MOVSM, I don't see an issue with that as it is 2 different organizations recognizing your volunteer efforts.  When I graduated from college I received memberships to multiple honor societies based on my GPA.  I don't consider that double dipping even though multiple organizations rewarded me for the same accomplishment. 

RMW14

Here it is, straight from the 39-3

21. Criteria for Award of Service Ribbons.

i. Community Service Ribbon. Awarded to members who complete 60 hours of community service outside of Civil Air Patrol. The service must be verified by a volunteer coordinator. Community service projects conducted by CAP units do not qualify for this recognition. A bronze clasp may be added for each additional 60 hours of community service.

Section i is on page 15.

I would say that as long as you can get whoever was the coordinator/organizer to certify your hours, you should have no problem getting the 2a approved for your service.

I also bolded/underlined the portion of the regs about CAP Community Service Projects.

Ryan Weir Capt
Emergency Services Officer Jesse Jones Composite Squadron 304
Expert Ranger #274
NASAR SARTECH 1 Lead Evaluator/ WEMT
CD PAWG Central
AOBD,GBD,GTL, GTM1, UDF, MO, MS, MRO, AP

Storm Chaser

I concur with others that this community service should be done while an active member of CAP. That being said, CAPR 39-3 doesn't specifically say that, which means that it's left up to the commander's discretion. The end result is that some members will be awarded the Community Service Ribbon based on work done before they became members and others won't. The regulation should be updated to clarify this, in order to avoid uneven award of this ribbon across CAP.

USAFRiggerGuy

Thank you for your responses.  I didn't earn the Military Community Service ribbon.... I put together my package and it never got routed up.  I suspected some might agree with a ember being a CAP member first,  but I wondered if I was missing something regarding the issue.
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Broomfield Composite Squadron
RMR-CO-099
Proud USAF Veteran (SSgt)

PHall

Quote from: USAFRiggerGuy on May 11, 2015, 11:51:12 PM
Thank you for your responses.  I didn't earn the Military Community Service ribbon.... I put together my package and it never got routed up.  I suspected some might agree with a ember being a CAP member first,  but I wondered if I was missing something regarding the issue.

In the Air Force, the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service medal is approved by the first Colonel in your chain of command.
I was in an Airlift Squadron and the Ops Group Commander was the one who approved mine. Didn't even have to go to the Wing.

Offutteer

It is required that you be a member at the time you volunteered.  It's not in the individual write up for each ribbon, it's located in Section A (page 4)

Quote from: CAPR 39-3 28 DECEMBER 2012 Section A5. Eligibility. A member must be in good standing at the time of the distinguished act and must
meet the criteria established for the award. All award recommendations must be submitted within 2
years of the termination date of the act, achievement or service performed. Next of kin of deceased
persons are entitled to receive awards earned but not presented.

PHall

Quote from: Offutteer on May 18, 2015, 07:03:49 PM
It is required that you be a member at the time you volunteered.  It's not in the individual write up for each ribbon, it's located in Section A (page 4)

Quote from: CAPR 39-3 28 DECEMBER 2012 Section A5. Eligibility. A member must be in good standing at the time of the distinguished act and must
meet the criteria established for the award. All award recommendations must be submitted within 2
years of the termination date of the act, achievement or service performed. Next of kin of deceased

What does Volunteer Service have to do with a "distinguished act"?   I think you've referenced the wrong reg cite.

DoubleSecret

Quote from: USAFRiggerGuy on May 11, 2015, 06:30:21 PM
I have read through the regulation and the countless threads of CSRs and have not seen my question answered.  I apologize if I had missed it in another thread.  My question is: 

Can I use my countless hours of community service that I have already performed to earn the CSR?  While I was in the USAF I performed community service activities regularly.  This isn't a huge deal to me that I get it right away and I don't mind, and intend to, do more CS work with my cadets.

I know you have to have 60 verifiable hours, which I have, but do I have to earn those hours while in CAP?  Or,  Can I use the hours I earned previously before becoming a SM.

Thank you for your help on this topic!

It would violate the spirit and intent of the award.  I had 18 years of civilian good conduct when I first enlisted in the Air Force, but they didn't give me the Air Force Good Conduct Medal with a silver oak leaf cluster.  Same principle.

Storm Chaser

The Community Service Ribbon is a CAP award given to CAP members for doing non-CAP community service while being in CAP. All the outstanding community service a member may have done before he or she joined CAP is irrelevant to this award. The purpose of this ribbon is to recognize CAP members for doing additional community service outside of CAP. Why anyone would want to circumvent the spirit of this ribbon just to get additional recognition in CAP for something done before joining is beyond me.

Luis R. Ramos

Mr Hall, the way the regulation is written, each award is made for a distinguished act.

Going to Encampment is a distinguished act by itself, so you get the Encampment Ribbon.

Doing the 60 hours of service
is by itself distinguished in that not everyone will be able to claim that ribbon. So he gets that as a symbol of distinction.

I would say that it may not be the wording used by the military... Which I think is the point you may be trying to make. Read the regulation again, sections A 1-5.

The section that Offuteer quoted is after section A. 2. This reads:

CAP Awards.

Section B - Decorations
Section C - Cadet Program Awards
Section D - Senior Program Awards
Section E - Aerospace Education Awards
Section F - Activity and Service Ribbons
Section G - Special Awards and Honors

Offuteer quoted A. 5. Eligibility. Which I interpret to mean How do you get anything listed in above, in section A. 2.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Holding Pattern

Quote from: PHall on May 19, 2015, 12:42:08 AM
Quote from: Offutteer on May 18, 2015, 07:03:49 PM

What does Volunteer Service have to do with a "distinguished act"?   I think you've referenced the wrong reg cite.

No, it is exactly the right reg cite. CAP recognizes community service with a ribbon, hence it being a distinguished act.

Quotedis·tin·guished
dəˈstiNGɡwiSHt/
adjective
successful, authoritative, and commanding great respect.

In more detail, CAPR 39-3 is the reg that is titled: AWARD OF CAP MEDALS, RIBBONS AND CERTIFICATES

Section A is the general section, part 5, which is quoted above, is the eligibility criterion for all of the awards that can be earned.

PHall

Silly me, I "attempted" to use logic. That'll learn me! ::)

Offutteer

Quote from: PHall on May 21, 2015, 01:17:23 AM
Silly me, I "attempted" to use logic. That'll learn me! ::)

Logic?  In a reg that has this wonderful writing:

Quote from: CAPR 39-3 28 DECEMBER 2012
SECTION C – CADET PROGRAM AWARDS
14. Cadet Program Awards.
h. Dr. Robert H. Goddard Achievement. Successfully complete the specific requirements
in Phase II listed for this achievement. NOTE: A silver star may be attached to the Goddard Ribbon
by those cadets who have earned their Mitchell Award and have satisfactorily completed the
requirements for the Model Rocketry Badge
(reference CAPR 50-20, CAP Model Rocketry
Program).

So, you can only wear the star on your ribbon for Model Rocketry if you have your Mitchell?  What does Billy Mitchell have to do with Rocketry? 

btw, "C/CMSgt Cadet Ken" has his ribbons incorrect, as he's wearing the star without being a Mitchell Cadet...

AirAux

Wait, I am still confused, can I recieve credit for the 120 hours of community service that I performed for the County of Cobb, during and about the time of June 1, 2014 - August 1, 2014, that was verified by State Court Judge Ima Slogg on or about the same date?  I can assure you it was supervised volunteer service...

THRAWN

Quote from: AirAux on May 21, 2015, 04:26:53 PM
Wait, I am still confused, can I recieve credit for the 120 hours of community service that I performed for the County of Cobb, during and about the time of June 1, 2014 - August 1, 2014, that was verified by State Court Judge Ima Slogg on or about the same date?  I can assure you it was supervised volunteer service...

Were you a CAP member during that time? If so, then you meet the criteria. If you joined CAP on August 2 2014, you missed it.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023