BDU Model Rocketry Badge

Started by C/2d Lt, June 17, 2012, 07:49:40 PM

C/2d Lt

What is the best way to attach the Model Rocketry Badge.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

Extremepredjudice

I believe the model rocketry patch has glue on the back, so iron it on. You may want to put a few tacks in it, just in case it falls off.

Or you could sew it on.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

MIKE

The right way.  Make sure you read CAPM 39-1 Table 6-4. and put it on the right pocket.
Mike Johnston

arajca

Quote from: MIKE on June 17, 2012, 09:15:45 PM
The right way.  Make sure you read CAPM 39-1 Table 6-4. and put it on the right pocket.
Which means if your unit has a patch, you need to choose which one you want to wear - the unit patch OR the model rocketry patch. You cannot wear both.

Dad2-4

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 17, 2012, 07:54:47 PM
I believe the model rocketry patch has glue on the back, so iron it on.

Or you could sew it on.
The "glue" on the pack of most patches is a sealer to keep the patches threads from unraveling and to help it keep it's shape. It's not an iron-on adhesive.
For the best look, sew it or have it sewn on by machine.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Dad2-4 on June 17, 2012, 09:49:38 PM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 17, 2012, 07:54:47 PM
I believe the model rocketry patch has glue on the back, so iron it on.

Or you could sew it on.
The "glue" on the pack of most patches is a sealer to keep the patches threads from unraveling and to help it keep it's shape. It's not an iron-on adhesive.
For the best look, sew it or have it sewn on by machine.
Hmm, wasn't for my patches (not model rocketry, but I know someone that just ironed it on)... TIL, sir.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

C/2d Lt

thanks for the advice but if it is on a pocket how am i sopost to sew it on? should i sew it through the posket?
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

LGM30GMCC

2 Options

1 - The Far More Difficult Option: Sew it on to just the outer part of the pocket. This will allow you to continue to use the pocket. This will need to be done by hand.

2 - The Far More Common Option: Just sew it on through both layers of the pocket. You can't use the pocket anymore, but there isn't much that day to day needs to be kept in those pockets. Unless, for some odd reason, your unit has a very specific SOP saying you need to keep a F60 or something else in there.

SarDragon

To the original poster - asking the same Q in multiple threads is counterproductive. Frequently answers will get repeated, or the best answer will end up getting ignored in the thread not directly related to your specific problem.

Ask the question somewhere, and stick with it there.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

http://www.stadriemblems.com/patch-backings.html

It really depends on the manufacturer regarding the the iron-on issue.

As to sewing, you can hand sew the insignia without too much issue, or purchase iron-on adhesive.

Sewing them through is the simplest machine solution, though I have seen people pay to have the pockets opened and then resewn.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

The unit patch does -not- go on the same pocket as the activity patch.

..and when I've brought them to the shop to get attached, not once have I ever been asked if I wanted use of the pocket or not, nor have they sewed right through it. Though I have seen machines where they can go right into the pocket pretty darn close to the edges, too.

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on June 17, 2012, 11:23:22 PM

Correct, but for some bizarre reason the rocketry patch goes in the same place as the unit patch.

Quote from: a2capt on June 17, 2012, 11:23:22 PM...I have seen machines where they can go right into the pocket pretty darn close to the edges, too.

I've seen those as well, most decent tailors have the sweet offset arms, etc., that lets them sew into sleeves and other small areas.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on June 17, 2012, 10:27:20 PM
2 Options

1 - The Far More Difficult Option: Sew it on to just the outer part of the pocket. This will allow you to continue to use the pocket. This will need to be done by hand.
2 - The Far More Common Option: Just sew it on through both layers of the pocket. You can't use the pocket anymore, but there isn't much that day to day needs to be kept in those pockets. Unless, for some odd reason, your unit has a very specific SOP saying you need to keep a F60 or something else in there.

Any tailor shop that knows what it's doing can partially remove the pocket, sew on the patch and then reattach the pocket with no problems.
Have had this done many times with all of my Air Force and CAP BDU uniforms for years now.

arajca

Quote from: a2capt on June 17, 2012, 11:23:22 PM
As Eclipse noted, the model rocketry patch goes on the right breast pocket, not left.

Ref CAPM 39-1, Table 6-4, line 12
12 | Model Rocketry Patch | embroidered | centered below the pocket flap on the right breast pocket of the BDU or field

C/2d Lt

If I am understanding it correctly the badge goes under the Civil Air Patrol. I have sean it under the name and Civil Air Patrol tags on the uniform.

Майор Хаткевич

Correct, Unit goes under name, Activity under branch tape:

Eclipse

All activity badges except rocketry go under "CIVIL AIR PATROL".  Rocketry goes under the name.

In the photo above, rocketry would replace the Group 22 insignia.

The right breast pocket is the same as the right hand of the wearer, under the member's name.

"That Others May Zoom"