Uniforms Overseas Flight

Started by capsr, November 13, 2011, 12:44:03 PM

capsr

I have been more cognizant of CAP members wearing uniforms in the airport since I learned it was allowed. However, what I saw this weekend was very interesting. I was traveling back from Korea on a United flight and as I sat in the airport I noticed some Air Force and Army service members wearing their ACU/ABU's respectively. A little while later I did a double take as we loaded on the plane and saw a CAP member in his blues boarding in section 1 when they called for any active duty members to board priority. As we landed in ORD (Chicago) I noticed this CAP member walk through the military line for immigration and continue on his way to either another flight or home. As we waited for our luggage I did notice a bronze star ribbon, combat action, etc. so I can assume this was a military member serving overseas wearing the CAP uniform. I never got to ask him why he was wearing the CAP uniform vice his normal military uniform.

I travel quite a bit each month and am going to try and get pictures of the times I see strange situations with CAP members in uniform at the airport. There are more traveling in uniform than most of you think. Especially, if you are in one of the major airports(i.e. LAX, ORD, MCO). Anyone else who travels notice this?

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: capsr on November 13, 2011, 12:44:03 PM
I have been more cognizant of CAP members wearing uniforms in the airport since I learned it was allowed. However, what I saw this weekend was very interesting. I was traveling back from Korea on a United flight and as I sat in the airport I noticed some Air Force and Army service members wearing their ACU/ABU's respectively. A little while later I did a double take as we loaded on the plane and saw a CAP member in his blues boarding in section 1 when they called for any active duty members to board priority. As we landed in ORD (Chicago) I noticed this CAP member walk through the military line for immigration and continue on his way to either another flight or home. As we waited for our luggage I did notice a bronze star ribbon, combat action, etc. so I can assume this was a military member serving overseas wearing the CAP uniform. I never got to ask him why he was wearing the CAP uniform vice his normal military uniform.

I travel quite a bit each month and am going to try and get pictures of the times I see strange situations with CAP members in uniform at the airport. There are more traveling in uniform than most of you think. Especially, if you are in one of the major airports(i.e. LAX, ORD, MCO). Anyone else who travels notice this?
Hmm, I'm a bit skeptical that our senior members would do something that stupid like you state above -- BUT I guess it would be possible since some let the "(civilian)" USAF Auxiliary go to their heads :-[.  HOWEVER, by all means IF you see some CAP member trying to get privilege for something they don't deserve get a picture. It's very unlikely an active duty military member would wear a CAP uniform on a plane.  Also CAP members shouldn't just be flying in uniform on commercial airlines because they 'feel like it' >:(
RM

Flying Pig

Ive never seen a CAP member on an airline in uniform.  Although, I cant say with 65,000 members that it would be outrageous to think people do it.  Especially a former military member who may be looking to keep living the dream.  If he had the Combat Action he was either Navy, CG or Marines.  What rank was he wearing?

However.....I was in my local Olive Garden restaurant  for my complimentary veterans day meal and saw a guy in his mid 40's wearing an OD green BDU blouse wearing a mixture of current Iraq and Afganistan medals, of course, the purple heart, and the standard issue Vietnam medals all out of order and sporting MSgt stipes.  A total fraud.

I would have called him out if my family hadnt been with me.   With all the posers and flat out liars running around, a prior service or current military CAP member traveling in their duds.....who cares.  CAP is a civilian volunteer organization.  I dont see people getting all fired up when some boy scout adult leader travels in their uniform.

RiverAux

There is absolutely no way to tell whether or not this situation was someone that was legitimately traveling on CAP duty or something else.

I would say that if they were traveling in CAP uniform, even if they were an actual military member, that they shouldn't have been taking advantage of any perks given to servicemen unless the airline offered it to them specifically. 

spacecommand

Long flight but you didn't speak to them?  If I saw another fellow CAP member anywhere (on-board a Boeing 777 or at a 7-11)  I would give a quick "hello/"how are you" chat.  (it's a long light from Korea to Chicago).

Hard to draw conclusions without knowing all the facts.

titanII

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 13, 2011, 02:52:19 PM
However.....I was in my local Olive Garden restaurant  for my complimentary veterans day meal and saw a guy in his mid 40's wearing an OD green BDU blouse wearing a mixture of current Iraq and Afganistan medals, of course, the purple heart, and the standard issue Vietnam medals all out of order and sporting MSgt stipes.  A total fraud.
That's despicable. Stories like that just [Filter Subversion] me off.  >:(
No longer active on CAP talk

capsr

He was wearing CAP Captain rank. He had to be in the AD military, because he went through the immigration line in ORD for the military where they check the ID. SPACECOMMAND: No, I didn't speak to him at all on the plane. I was in economy and he was up front in economy plus I believe. It is a long flight, but if you've ever been on one after 9-11 you would understand you cannot roam around the airplane like the old days. You have to use the bathroom and stay in your cabin area. I did not go out of my way to speak with him, tired I guess after 13 hours of flying. The guy was not a poser, just strange to see in a foreign airport that's all. But it did appear like he was flying around not on CAP duty wearing the uniform.

DBlair

If someone is flying somewhere that warrants wearing a CAP uniform, that is one thing, but I am unsure of any international CAP activity involving wear of the CAP uniform-- keep in mind that IACE wears a uniform similar to our SM blazer uniform.

Before someone mentions Overseas units as justification-- why would wearing the CAP uniform be appropriate/needed, are they on their way to a meeting? If attending your CAP unit meeting requires flying internationally, you might want to consider a transfer. lol

All too often, I hear (some even brag about it) of members (especially Cadets) who wear their uniform when flying anywhere (non-CAP related) so as to receive benefits of RM, such as free/reduced price checked baggage, priority boarding, (sometimes) upgrades to First-Class, attention, and so on.

I find this practice to be distasteful as it is essentially milking borrowed honor. I know what CAP is, and what it is not, and I'm not a fan of the 'pretending to be RM to get the benefits' sort of behavior.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

johnnyb47

from 39-1 Table 1-1:
Quotemost foreign governments prohibit the wear of military uniforms by
visitors. Members will not wear a CAP uniform in a foreign country
except for members on orders to participate in the International Air
Cadet Exchange or other international events for which National
Headquarters has expressly authorized the wearing of the uniform.
Members of CAP cadet squadrons overseas wear the CAP uniform
on the host military installation only upon approval of the installation
commander in accordance with CAPR 35-4, Overseas Cadet
Squadrons.
Any National CAP events going on in Korea at the time from which he may have been returning? :)
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

DBlair

Quote from: john_Bowers on November 15, 2011, 04:56:33 PM
from 39-1 Table 1-1:
Quotemost foreign governments prohibit the wear of military uniforms by
visitors. Members will not wear a CAP uniform in a foreign country
except for members on orders to participate in the International Air
Cadet Exchange or other international events for which National
Headquarters has expressly authorized the wearing of the uniform.
Members of CAP cadet squadrons overseas wear the CAP uniform
on the host military installation only upon approval of the installation
commander in accordance with CAPR 35-4, Overseas Cadet
Squadrons.
Any National CAP events going on in Korea at the time from which he may have been returning? :)

My point exactly. Thanks for finding the 39-1.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

johnnyb47

No problem.
After reading some of the threads on here regarding uniform issues, etc recently I've realized that I'm not as in the know as I should be about the uniform reg so I've been reading it over and over for days. I had just covered that portion when I read this thread.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

AlphaSigOU

I'm currently stationed at an overseas military installation as a civilian contractor. (I don't need to re-hash why there is no squadron on Kwajalein.) About the only time I wear the CAP uniform on island is for the Veterans' Day and Memorial Day ceremonies (with the approval of the installation commander); occasionally I will wear the polo shirt and grays, since it shows no grade and is much more comfortable than blues or grays. (My mess dress and service dress uniforms - among others - are currently hanging in a closet in Las Vegas.)

In this day and age where operational security is always ram-jammed into our Mark I Mod 1 computers on a daily basis, wear of military uniforms while traveling (unless if on R&R from the Sandbox) is highly discouraged. To me it smacks of someone taking advantage of the extra special treatment given military personnel while traveling.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

spacecommand

QuoteIt is a long flight, but if you've ever been on one after 9-11 you would understand you cannot roam around the airplane like the old days. You have to use the bathroom and stay in your cabin area.

Actually I fly long distance international flights 2-3 times a year, when on widebodied (777 and 747) aircraft I often take a break to stretch my legs by walking up and down the aisle.  Very common thing for me to do and to see other people doing (at least for the countries I go). 
But yes I do understand there are some people if you look a certain way will inturn make certain other people feel "uncomfortable", it shouldn't but there are always sterotypes that will never go away.

But yes, generally you have to stay in your cabin area, eg, you can't walk into first class.  Thankfully the economy section of a 744 is very big to stretch your legs.

flyboy53

Quote from: capsr on November 13, 2011, 12:44:03 PM

Wait a minute, you don't know the circumstances, and unless this guy is a member of this blog you'll never know if he wasn't traveling under some sort of official capacity. You just don't know. Sure, it would have been interesting to talk to him.

Remember that the original CAP emblem was registered with the International Red Cross in WW II so that members would be treated accordingly. That is why overseas units still wear that patch.

Anyway, all I would have cared about was if the uniform was in correct order. I'm sure there were conversations in the military line and it sure peaked your interest.