BDU Cargo Pocket Flap HELP!

Started by GTCommando, August 05, 2011, 08:25:58 PM

GTCommando

Hello All,
I've been in CAP for almost three years, two of those as a Cadet NCO, and I can't figure this out. When ironing the BDU, how do you get the cargo pocket flap to lay flat? I try not to iron over the buttons to keep the donuts under control, and removing the buttons and sewing the flap down isn't an option. I use my cargo pockets much too frequently. Any suggestions that you've found that work? Thanks in advance for your help.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

jimmydeanno

Fold the flap up, unbuttoned, iron flat.  Button back down.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

jeders

Or unbutton the flap, insert a piece of cardboard between the flap and the buttons, iron. Remove cardboard, re-button pocket.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

lordmonar

Iron it the best that you can.....if it still flips up.....forget about it.

It is a bloody utility uniform. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jeders

Quote from: lordmonar on August 05, 2011, 09:03:39 PM
Iron it the best that you can.....if it still flips up.....forget about it.

It is a bloody utility uniform.

This works too.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

EMT-83

Майор Хаткевич

Why are you even using the pockets regularly? If you don't have enough room in the pants, then it's time to leave somethings behind.

I had the buttons removed and the seams sewn down on the top pockets for the price of sewing on a patch - $3 each.

davidsinn

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 06, 2011, 11:04:00 PM
Why are you even using the pockets regularly? If you don't have enough room in the pants, then it's time to leave somethings behind.

I had the buttons removed and the seams sewn down on the top pockets for the price of sewing on a patch - $3 each.

It's an awesome place to keep rubber gloves for starters. It's the required place to store your hat when it's not on your head. Sewing them down is a "Bad Idea."TM
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DakRadz

Cap'n, I think we're referring to the blouse top pockets, or just blouse pockets in general. I could be wrong.

Me personally, I keep all forms of mission required ID in my blouse's upper pockets- it's flat, nothing else goes there, and therefore little chance it will be lost/mangled/made unserviceable.

lordmonar

I keep all that in LBV.  Got a nice pouch that holds CAP ID, 101, ROP, CAPF 79, note book, pens, pencile, signal mirror and sun glasses.

I keep my pocket empty to put thing into when I am in a hurry.  I don't care if the ends of my pocket curl up....it is a field uniform!  You know....you wear it in the field where it get dirty, and wrinkled.

When I were it at meetings......I try to make it nice...take it to the dry cleaners every couple of months(heavy Starch)...wash it every time I wear it, take it out of the dryer and hang it up right away....I don't bother to iron it unless there are heavey wrinkles (i.e. it stayed in the dryer too long).

Ironing your BDU's is like spit shining your combat boots....it may look nice...but unless you are on the color guard it is time better spend on other CAP stuff.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: DakRadz on August 06, 2011, 11:58:30 PM
Cap'n, I think we're referring to the blouse top pockets, or just blouse pockets in general. I could be wrong.

In that case carry on.

I have always heard thigh pockets referred to as cargo pockets and have never heard shirt pockets referred to as such. The bottom pockets on the shirt are just about useless. I always use my top ones though.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

GTCommando

Thanks for all of the replies. davidsinn, you're right, I was referring to the thigh pockets. I use them for everything from my cover/canteen during meetings to general storage on SAR/EXes. That's why I can't sew them down, and if I replaced the buttons with velcro it wouldn't tolerate the load.

I've tried different methods of ironing, I've tried it with the cardboard, I've tried starch, and nothing's worked completely. I guess I just have to experiment some more to find what works for me. Thanks all for the advice.  :)
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

DakRadz

Quote from: GTCommando on August 07, 2011, 05:02:02 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. davidsinn, you're right, I was referring to the thigh pockets. I use them for everything from my cover/canteen during meetings to general storage on SAR/EXes. That's why I can't sew them down, and if I replaced the buttons with velcro it wouldn't tolerate the load.

I've tried different methods of ironing, I've tried it with the cardboard, I've tried starch, and nothing's worked completely. I guess I just have to experiment some more to find what works for me. Thanks all for the advice.  :)

I stand corrected.

Yeah, I would never sew the thigh pockets down.

What I do is unbutton flap, open it, and stick the iron between the flap and that piece of fabric the buttons button into. Usually works. Otherwise... It's a utility uniform.

Майор Хаткевич

I stand corrected as well.

Never had a problem with the pocket flaps rolling up though.

zonaman

The back end of my pocket flaps fold up as well. I just fold them down when I sit and keep them ironed. It seems to do the trick.