BDU loose strings

Started by MajorPayne, July 01, 2011, 01:13:50 AM

MajorPayne

I don't know if i this happens to most cadets BDUs but I was wondering if anyone else has a problem with threads that are loose. I recently joined CAP and ordered the BDU uniform off of vanguard and after taking a closer look, realized that there were a lot of loose threads sticking out from pocket corners and button holes. Is this normal? If so what is the most effective way to fix it?
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go, if he doesnt mind who gets the credit."
Ronald Reagan

C/CMSgt Payne
Charlie Flight Commander
Group 7 CAC represenative

jimmydeanno

The loose threads are the result of where the sewing machine stopped sewing.  It's not a defect, but a normal manufacturing process result.

Just wash the BDUs and most should show themselves.  Then just trim them off.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Thrashed

I burn them with a match.

Save the triangle thingy

MajorPayne

Do all of the BDUs come that way?
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go, if he doesnt mind who gets the credit."
Ronald Reagan

C/CMSgt Payne
Charlie Flight Commander

GTCommando

The threads are not a defect. They're normal for new clothing items. The best way to deal with them is to wash the BDUs, and then trim them off with nail clippers. That lets you trim them off as close as possible. Using matches would risk damaging the clothing. Not good on a brand-new uniform. No offense Thrash, I've just had bad experiences when mixing fire and uniforms.  :-[ :D
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

Eclipse

Quote from: Thrash on July 01, 2011, 01:32:09 AM

I generally discourage that practice, especially for cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

MajorPayne

thank you for the help. I just wanted to make sure that I had everything the right way. It sounds like everyone bdus get them
Ronald Reagan

C/CMSgt Payne
Charlie Flight Commander

HGjunkie

Yeah, matches are pretty unsafe and smell like poo. I use one of these bad boys insead:

8)

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

Hey, if you're gonna go, at least you'll go in style!

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

I have a small pair of surgical scissors that I keep with my uniform stuff. As a normal part of my uniform prep I skim over the seams for loose threads and trim them off.

I do not advise using fire to do it, especially when scissors or nail clippers work just as well. I once saw a guy try to trim a thread with a lighter while wearing too much cologne. Thankfully there was a fire extinguisher in the room and he wasn't seriously hurt.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Eclipse on July 01, 2011, 02:27:13 AM
Quote from: Thrash on July 01, 2011, 01:32:09 AM

I generally discourage that practice, especially for cadets.

Just try explaining that to the Safety Officer

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on July 01, 2011, 03:34:07 AM
Hey, if you're gonna go, at least you'll go in style!
That and your picture just made my wee hours of the morning alot less boring   :laugh:

AngelWings

I'd burn the threads off on 50/50 tops, not on 100% cotton tops. 50/50 tops will melt just a smidge and the threads won't reappear.

AngelWings

Well, I'm gunning to get one of these to burn off some threads.

HGjunkie

Quote from: Littleguy on July 01, 2011, 06:06:47 PM

It needs more BOOM;D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Guaranteed!! No loose threads.
Also no uniform, no CAP member, no school, no tree outside.

The CyBorg is destroyed

The threads are not abnormal.  Back in the day I remember them being called "cables" and "Irish pennants" (I assume because they were green).

Unless you've got a lightsabre  :P, I don't recommend using anything except sewing or surgical scissors, and certainly not fire.

Give your BDU's a visual once-over each time you wash them.  Keeping those little threads off is an ongoing process.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JC004

Quote from: CyBorg on July 01, 2011, 10:11:27 PM
The threads are not abnormal.  Back in the day I remember them being called "cables" and "Irish pennants" (I assume because they were green).

Unless you've got a lightsabre  :P, I don't recommend using anything except sewing or surgical scissors, and certainly not fire.

Give your BDU's a visual once-over each time you wash them.  Keeping those little threads off is an ongoing process.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Irish_pennant

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^Thanks for the definition.  I was hoping it wasn't something ethnically derogatory, especially since I am half Ulster-Scots.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AngelWings

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 01, 2011, 09:39:31 PM

It needs more BOOM;D
Well, yeah. Just have to get close to it without getting tossed across the field.  >:D

HGjunkie

Quote from: Littleguy on July 01, 2011, 11:36:05 PM

It needs more BOOM;D
Well, yeah. Just have to get close to it without getting tossed across the field.  >:D

This guy's got it covered:

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

AngelWings

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 01, 2011, 11:58:29 PM
Quote from: Littleguy on July 01, 2011, 11:36:05 PM

It needs more BOOM;D

This guy's got it covered:

I think we can say that with some confidence.