Using military rough-out boots

Started by AngelWings, December 16, 2010, 12:31:10 AM

AngelWings

I'm getting pretty sick(actually the polish fumes burned out my nose lining a bit and my nose bleed, or atleast the doctors from the Emergency Room said so) and tired of polishing, with my blues, they are coroframs. best decision of my life. I have the shiniest boots in my squadron anyways, but it really just cuts into actually time I have to do other things. I polish all the time and have no problem if I have to, but it just becomes so boring, even with music. I was wondering if we are allowed to do the USAF thing and buy rough-outs that don't get worn out has quickly, feel alot better, makes things look more uniform, and ventialte or retain heat better. I don't mean to whine about it, but it is just one of those things that I love. I want to look a little more like I belong to the USAF too. Is there any written restrictions anyways?

manfredvonrichthofen

I thought you said you knew the ins and outs of the Regs. Try reading the 39-1, you will see that it says your boots must be black leather, they may also have a cloth upper that is either black or green. That is it. When and if we change to the ABU then you will be able to wear the suede boots.

SABRE17

i don't know if the cloth upper part is correct, everyone i know wears bates paratrooper 11" side zips and those are full leather. nor have i ever been told that i was wearing incorrect boots.

cite please?

manfredvonrichthofen

CAPM 39-1 Table 2-3 Line 4

Footwear (Combat Boots)
Black, with or without safety toe, plain rounded toe or rounded capped
toe with or without perforated seam. Zipper or elastic inserts optional,
smooth or scotch-grained leather or man-made material, and may have a
high gloss or patent finish.

(Hot-weather Tropical)
Green or black cloth, or canvas and black leather with plain toe with
zipper or elastic inserts.

I don't think what your wearing is wrong either, I have seen them plenty of times. I just feel a preference to the green ones because those are what were issued to me at my unit in the Army. So I stick with them.

SABRE17

i think the confusion might have been the reference to the hot weather, i can see them putting an allowance for cloth in hot weather.

i checked the manual out my self and noticed that when it comes to cold weather jackets it only notes the m-65 style field jacket, my unit just got a shipment of goretex jackets in and now every one has them, are those technically out of reg?

davidsinn

Quote from: SABRE17 on December 16, 2010, 12:55:12 AM
i think the confusion might have been the reference to the hot weather, i can see them putting an allowance for cloth in hot weather.

i checked the manual out my self and noticed that when it comes to cold weather jackets it only notes the m-65 style field jacket, my unit just got a shipment of goretex jackets in and now every one has them, are those technically out of reg?

There is an ICL that allows them.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

manfredvonrichthofen

I have been trying to find the very same thing out. I have heard that the goretex is ok now, they even have the rank slides for it at VG. I have seen them worn alot but I cannot find the actual memorandum that says so.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

HGjunkie

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 16, 2010, 01:00:31 AM
I have been trying to find the very same thing out. I have heard that the goretex is ok now, they even have the rank slides for it at VG. I have seen them worn alot but I cannot find the actual memorandum that says so.

Letter F sir.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

EMT-83

I liked the post better before the edit. Maybe a new nickname for Vanguard?  ;)

SarDragon

Quote from: HGjunkie on December 16, 2010, 01:04:21 AM

Letter F sir.

You're too easy.  :angel:
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: HGjunkie on December 16, 2010, 01:04:21 AM

Letter F sir.

Tango Mike, been looking for that one.

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 16, 2010, 01:05:19 AM
I liked the post better before the edit. Maybe a new nickname for Vanguard?  ;)
I saw the error as soon as i posted it, and thought good and hard about leaving it... But I decided against it. Though I do agree. >:D

BGNightfall

I can't remember which manufacturer is making them, but the US Navy commissioned black leather rough-out boots for its NWU.  I'd imagine that they would look fairly comical with BDUs, but then again so do tan or "sage green" rough out boots.

IceNine

What type of polish/method are you using that is "burning" your nose?

I've spent a fair number of years polishing and never even had irritation.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

PHall

Quote from: IceNine on December 16, 2010, 02:39:48 AM
What type of polish/method are you using that is "burning" your nose?

I've spent a fair number of years polishing and never even had irritation.

Leather Luster possibly. The solvent used to remove Leather Luster is pretty powerful stuff.

GTCommando

^^Perhaps the infamous lighter method? 
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

HGjunkie

Quote from: GTCommando on December 16, 2010, 03:19:28 AM
^^Perhaps the infamous lighter method?
Ugh... *memories* Even that isn't usually bad enough to cause that.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Hawk200

JC004

If you are doing anything related to an Emergency Room and your boots, you are doing it wrong and that is clearly not the fault of the boots.  The military didn't change boot types due to a large number of nose injuries.  Still, the suede style is not authorized in CAP.