USAF Blue Herringbone Tie

Started by Spaceman3750, November 25, 2010, 12:37:24 PM

Spaceman3750

Does anyone know if there's a better quality blue herringbone tie out there than the one Vanguard sells? The one Vanguard sent me seems a bit... Cheap, but that may just be par for the course regardless of where you order from.

Any help is appreciated.

JohnKachenmeister

AAFES military clothing sales, but I think Vanguard makes the one they sell there, too.  They probably have better-quality stuff for the AF though.  We're just the red-headed stepchildren, and should be happy with whatever trash we are given.
Another former CAP officer

FW

I've purchased ties from Vanguard, AAFES and, clothing sales store at McGuire AFB.  They all look like the same ties to me.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Maybe you can find a more "vintage" one that's still in serviceable condition.  It seems to me the material has gotten thinner and cheaper over the years.

The Army, Navy and PHS have Marlow White making regulation-approved, superior-quality uniforms, and the Navy has additionally partnered with Brooks Brothers to produce a new Premiere line of higher-quality uniforms.  The Air Force has... uhm... well, nothing.  We all wear the same lowest-bidder clothes.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DBlair

The cheap feel/look of the tie is something I very much dislike as well. Unfortunately, it seems the AF only has these substandard ties now as this is all they sell at the base clothing sales.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

AlphaSigOU

Two different versions sold... the issue DSCP and the much more expensive silk AAFES manufacture tie. Both are USAF approved.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

manfredvonrichthofen

My only question is why put a well made tie with a sub par uniform?  I think for the material of the suits, the tie is fine, a K&S tie with a Kmart suit is still only a suit from Kmart. I would love to find a really nice fabric for the uniform.