UNIFORM WITH SNEAKER, ATHLECTIC FOOTWEAR

Started by Persona non grata, June 24, 2010, 05:20:57 PM

Persona non grata

I have a foot condition that requires me to wear light weight footware.  Can I wear sneaker with my BDU/S and blues?

THANKS.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

JC004

errr...sneakers...not likely.  Are those lightweight type of shoes like Bates Lites and such sufficient? 

Stonewall

Sure, with a doctor's note.  Military does it all the time.  It's called a "soft shoe profile".

In the military while women are pregnant, they are required to wear ugly maternity uniforms and sneakers.

Injure yourself, have a medical condition and that should be a valid reason.
Serving since 1987.

lordmonar

Yes,

If your doctor has recommended light weight shoes then you can wear them in BDUs and Blues.

If this is a temporary condition don't buy special shoes.

In addition....as with all things.....go to your squadron commander for clarification.

You may want to bring a note from your doctor just to smooth things over.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

vmstan

You could even get away with some black sneakers, and then few would notice a difference from a distance.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

EMT-83

Dexter used to make a lightweight walking shoe that I found more comfortable than sneakers, and they even held a shine. I wore them for years, until Dexter went out of business. Maybe the Bates shoes someone mentioned are similar.

If this is a temporary condition, I'd ask permission to go with the sneakers. If it's long term, I'd shop around for shoes that fit your needs and look right. After all, who wants to stand out as being different if you don't have to.

SarDragon

Reebok Classics work well. I wear them as an everyday shoe, and they, IMHO, are suitable for the type of wear mentioned.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

There are actually some very military appearing lightweight shoes on the market.  Shouldnt cost you to much.  Go to an actual shoe store where they have people who know shoes.  That may work out better vs. wearing your white tennies....

They may not pass a uniform inspection at NCC, but for you daily CAP activities, youll draw a lot less attention and you wont be the guy/gal sporting Nikes in your blues.

I have a pair of Bates corfram shoes that I had when I was in the Marines.  If you want lightweight, this things are about as heavy as a zip lock baggy full of air.  You can put your inserts in them and the soles are foam.  They wont hold up to hard drill and ceremonies because the sole is a foamy, but they are military shoes.   They are about $100 though.   But now-a-days thats a pair of tennis shoes anyway.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/Footwear/Oxfords/Police_Shoes/E00942

JC004

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 25, 2010, 03:42:26 PM
There are actually some very military appearing lightweight shoes on the market.  Shouldnt cost you to much.  Go to an actual shoe store where they have people who know shoes.  That may work out better vs. wearing your white tennies....

They may not pass a uniform inspection at NCC, but for you daily CAP activities, youll draw a lot less attention and you wont be the guy/gal sporting Nikes in your blues.

I have a pair of Bates corfram shoes that I had when I was in the Marines.  If you want lightweight, this things are about as heavy as a zip lock baggy full of air.  You can put your inserts in them and the soles are foam.  They wont hold up to hard drill and ceremonies because the sole is a foamy, but they are military shoes.   They are about $100 though.   But now-a-days thats a pair of tennis shoes anyway.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/Footwear/Oxfords/Police_Shoes/E00942

Probably cheapest from AAFES:
Bates® Men's Uniform Lite Oxford
Price...$71.95
Item Number: M206C

Widths
C

Sizes (½ sizes to 11½)
8 - 12, 13, 14, 15
-------------------------------
Widths
D, E, EEE