Uniform Wear Clarification?

Started by RADIOMAN015, March 14, 2010, 03:56:02 PM

RADIOMAN015

Should Table 1-1, CAPM 39-1, have additional restriction/instructions added.

Specifically the rule on the uniform will not be worn for more than 1 hour after the close of a CAP sponsored activity, exclusive of travel time.

Here's some examples of circumstances not addressed:
*After the unit's meeting some members decided to stop at one of the local "military" watering holes (bar) to have a drink and mingle with the military, but leave the establishment under 1 hour. 
*After the unit's meeting, some members decided to stop and have coffee/snack at one of the local eating establishments, sometimes the "after meeting, staff meeting" discussions go over 1 hour.

Are these violations of the uniform regulation?
RM

a2capt

Here's a perfect example of "it doesn't say it, so it's not right" vs. "it doesn't say it so you can do it".

In the end, the "watering hole" would be a drinking establishment as thats it's nature.

But then, what about the O-club, during.. say, RSC, NSC, or other activity?

A beer at lunch is .. drinking.

OTOH, the after meeting get-together, in many ways can be considered an extension of the same meeting.

Where does it say the meeting officially ends at retreat of the colors? Staff meetings take place after, many times off post, et al.

Huge gaps here..

Spike

??

Staying on Base and visiting the Officers club is a privilege that the Base Commander allows my members to enjoy.  In fact, he has stated that he "highly recommends my Officers to join the O-Club", thus supporting this activity.

If you want, I will change my meeting hours to 1900-2300, but Cadets are to be dismissed at 2100. 

I do not believe stopping to have coffee and shooting the breeze between members is a violation of any rule, as long as you do not wear your BDU's into a BAR.   

The Officers club is not a "BAR", it is considered an "Open Mess" by the Air Force/ Military which means they serve food primarily, and alcohol if you desire that kind of thing.

Major Carrales

The "one hour" rule does not apply to the travel time.  Thus, if you have to stop to eat or other "en route" activities (like gas) you are still somewhat on CAP time.

Some units continue their meetings to include "fellwoship" time...we used to meet at the IHOP to have a staff meeting of senior officers.  There were hammered out the details of activities, discussed minute details of things that would have been out of place in a general session and finally...like at 2200 hrs...finally got to eat dinner.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

lordmonar

Who really cares?

Stupid unenforcable rule.

1)  Who defines the activity?
2)  Who defines to and from (tansit)?
3) What is the overall purpose of the rule?

For every reason you would want to impose such a rule there are 10 legetimate reason why it makes sense to ignore the rule.

After meeting meetings.
Cadets wearing the uniform to school so they don't have to change to get to a 3:30 CAP activity.
Stops longer then 1 hour during transit.
CAP social events.

As for drinking in CAP uniforms.....show me where you can't do it!

No....we don't need more restrictions on uniform wear. 

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

tsrup

Quote from: lordmonar on March 15, 2010, 09:05:11 PM

As for drinking in CAP uniforms.....show me where you can't do it!

No....we don't need more restrictions on uniform wear.

So long as we remain professional while doing so and there are no Cadets present.
Paramedic
hang-around.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: tsrup on March 15, 2010, 09:21:26 PM
So long as we remain professional while doing so and there are no Cadets present.

There isn't anything that says you can't drink while cadets are present.  Here is the "rule."

Quote from: CAPR 52-16
Senior members should exercise discretion when drinking alcoholic beverages or using tobacco products at CAP activities when cadets are present. Seniors should avoid drinking alcohol or using tobacco at all times when they are directly working with cadets or when they are in a confined space with cadets. Additionally, seniors who are not working with cadets should avoid excessive alcohol consumption when they can reasonably expect to encounter cadets thereafter.

Example.

You are at the Wing Conference Banquet.  There is a cocktail hour prior to the banquet of which cadets are not allowed to attend.   Banquet starts and those attending the cocktail hour bring their drinks into the dining space where cadets are present.  Drinking = Allowed within the rule above.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

EMT-83

^Beat me to it. I've also been to conferences when alcohol was served at the banquet where cadets were present.

lordmonar

Add to that O-club privileges during encampments or other on-base activities.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spike

^ So true.

It also helps before going to dinner at a conference where there are many people giving presentations or talking.  However, make sure you are not going to be called up to receive an award and are inebriated, that just looks bad.  (I learned from personal experience!)