Blue BDU "Accessories"

Started by SARMedTech, July 17, 2007, 05:51:02 AM

SARMedTech

For all those of you who wear the BBDUs and have been having trouble trying to find stuff to match it (ie that is not camo or tactical black), I wanted to recommend that Propper is your one stop shop. I recently purchased two sets of Propper camo BDUs and two sets of BBDUs. Im finding that woodland is getting harder to find through tactical suppliers since the new digitals have taken over. I maintain two sets of camos with all patches, insignia, etc ( a pair and a spare) and the same with the BBDUs. I wear camos when it seems that everyone around me is going to be, like with the cadets. I tend to prefer the BBDUs ( a shade of blue which I recently found out propper calls LAPD Blue) as a personal choice.  If many of you are having troube finding your blue or black gear, I found this store that absolutely blows my mind and now I need a new keyboard since I drooled all over this one. The link is:

http://www.gearzoneproducts.com/   

You should alot a couple of hours to spend going through all the stuff. Trust me, if you are a gear geek (and I know I am not the only one) you will want one of everything.  Also I found this Propper tactical windbreaker and wonder if it would be alright for wear with the BBDUs so long as insignia, etc are as correct as they would be on the woodlands. Here is the windbreaker. Its similar to the one used by the USCG but MUCH cheaper ($39.95).

"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

O-Rex

Wow, they have Brand-new flightsuits for $125!

JayT

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 17, 2007, 05:51:02 AM
For all those of you who wear the BBDUs and have been having trouble trying to find stuff to match it (ie that is not camo or tactical black), I wanted to recommend that Propper is your one stop shop. I recently purchased two sets of Propper camo BDUs and two sets of BBDUs. Im finding that woodland is getting harder to find through tactical suppliers since the new digitals have taken over. I maintain two sets of camos with all patches, insignia, etc ( a pair and a spare) and the same with the BBDUs. I wear camos when it seems that everyone around me is going to be, like with the cadets. I tend to prefer the BBDUs ( a shade of blue which I recently found out propper calls LAPD Blue) as a personal choice.  If many of you are having troube finding your blue or black gear, I found this store that absolutely blows my mind and now I need a new keyboard since I drooled all over this one. The link is:

You should alot a couple of hours to spend going through all the stuff. Trust me, if you are a gear geek (and I know I am not the only one) you will want one of everything.  Also I found this Propper tactical windbreaker and wonder if it would be alright for wear with the BBDUs so long as insignia, etc are as correct as they would be on the woodlands. Here is the windbreaker. Its similar to the one used by the USCG but MUCH cheaper ($39.95).

Any civilian jacket is authorized for the DFU.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SARMedTech

Quote from: JThemann on July 17, 2007, 11:39:27 AM
Quote from: SARMedTech on July 17, 2007, 05:51:02 AM

Any civilian jacket is authorized for the DFU.

I know...I guess my concern is the use of the word "civilian." I have tactical gear that is blue for my BBDUs but wasnt sure about using it because it was not technically civilian.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

davedove

Any of the jackets out there are considered civilian UNTIL you start adding rank, name tapes, etc.  That includes field jackets, flight jackets, etc.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

floridacyclist

Exactly...I wear either a blue Canadian Army goretex parka (I have the pants too, but it doesn't usually get that cold here) or a dark blue North Face down parka that I saw in a Goodwill with a $5.00 price tag and couldn't walk away from. I just wear whichever seems appropriate.

For web gear, I just us a black Molle rig that I picked up at a surplus store for #39.00 plus all black gear. Goes well with either my BBDUs or my tan DMAT uniform.

I still think they should have let us use OD BDUs instead of Blue. It would have just looked better in a group or with gear.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

SARMedTech

Quote from: davedove on July 17, 2007, 11:55:30 AM
Any of the jackets out there are considered civilian UNTIL you start adding rank, name tapes, etc.  That includes field jackets, flight jackets, etc.

I havent been able to find anything that says if i wear that windbreaker I posted a picture of, or an EMTs turn-out coat as my coat of choice over the BBDUs and then I put my name tape, US CAP tape, ES patch, grade insignia, EMT insignia and Ground Team Goofy that it makes that outerwear non-civilian, ie turns it into a CAP uniform. While all of those things certainly do add CAP affiliation big time, I havent seen the reg that says I cant put them on my civilian outerwear. In fact, I thought earlier in this post that someone said we could put the bling/patches on the blue M65. Since this is technically not a CAP distinctive item, what difference does it make if I put them on the M65, my windbreaker or my EMT turnout (as long as the EMT turnout doesnt have the star of life on it, a patch that says EMS, etc, though I have seen folks in camo BDUs putting non CAP EMS patches sewn onto their camo m65. Here is the turnout to which I refer which makes a great all weather BDU coat, is water repellent like you cant believe, sheds biohazards and resists staining from a/c engine fluids, mud, etc. The reflective tape and yellow star of life are optional so imagine it without them and with CAP appropriate patches. Whether or not it gets approved...I am getting one of these for EMS use. Firefighters get turnouts for safety during extrication and fire, etc and EMS folks are largely left on their own. Im definately plunking down the cash for one of these and also the spare room to store all of my fabulous battle rattle and tactical gear.  ;)
"Corpsman Up!"

Capt M. Sherrod

SARMedTech,

While I understand your desire for an effective outergarment, I offer the following in response to your post...

From CAPM 39-1

Civil Air Patrol prescribes wear policy and the use of CAP emblems, insignia, and badges on the CAP distinctive uniforms. Table 1-3 describes items that may be authorized by wing/region commanders. COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY. Any variation from this publication is not authorized. Items not listed in this publication are not authorized for wear.

and from CAPP 151
CAP Pamphlet 151 (E) STANDARDS, CUSTOMS AND COURTESIES restricts CAP members to wearing only authorized uniform combinations, and prohibits mixing uniform items or wearing distinctive uniform items with civilian clothes. Distinctive uniform items are those items that are unique to the uniform. They include grade insignia, ribbons, cap devices, and buttons with Civil Air Patrol coat of arms. Neither should CAP distinctive items such as nameplates or grade insignia be displayed on a bag or notebook.

Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

davedove

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 17, 2007, 01:11:15 PM
Quote from: davedove on July 17, 2007, 11:55:30 AM

In fact, I thought earlier in this post that someone said we could put the bling/patches on the blue M65. Since this is technically not a CAP distinctive item, what difference does it make if I put them on the M65, my windbreaker or my EMT turnout

The blue M65, or field jacket, is specifically mentioned in 39-1, whereas the others are not:

QuoteA dark blue field jacket is available and authorized for wear. If worn, the same accouterments worn on the field uniform shirt will be worn.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Hawk200

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Quote from: MIKE on July 17, 2007, 06:25:36 PM
Distinctive Field Uniform

Would that make "CSD," Corporate Service Dress?  Or "DSD," Distinctive Service Dress
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

BillB

No Joe, it's not CSD or DSD, it's still TPU
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Hawk200

MIKE

CAP Distinctive Blue Field Uniform/CAP Field Uniform/Field Uniform
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on July 17, 2007, 10:05:11 PM
CAP Distinctive Blue Field Uniform/CAP Field Uniform/Field Uniform

Ah, OK. Thought so, but figured it was safest to ask. Basically, what everyone is calling the Blue BDU.