Old School Service CAP...CRUSH CAP

Started by Major Carrales, June 30, 2007, 05:24:49 PM

Major Carrales

From back in the days when the SERVICE CAPs (and SERVICE COATS) outnumbered the Flight caps!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

Ah, the old days...

Breakfast for a CAP pilot was a big cup of coffee and a cigarette.

Another former CAP officer

AlphaSigOU

The modern version of the 50-mission crush cap is usually worn only by Thunderchickens and Sierra Hotel fighter jocks or wannabes. Just wear your flight cap a size smaller (or larger?) than what you normally wear and spread out the upper portion of the flight cap, tucking it in the back. (Back in my days WIWAC there were some less than savory descriptions on wearing the flight cap that I won't repeat in this forum...)

Former USAFA Commandant Brig Gen Weida sporting the fighter jock crush. And yes, he was a T-Clone!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Hawk200

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 30, 2007, 09:09:07 PM
Just wear your flight cap a size smaller (or larger?) than what you normally wear and spread out the upper portion of the flight cap, tucking it in the back.

Doesn't even need a different size. A former squadron commander of mine wore his that way all the time. Drove me crazy. I told him that the back of his head looked like a ducks butt. I was strongly tempted to put white paint splotches under the "tail".

mikeylikey

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 30, 2007, 05:24:49 PM

From back in the days when the SERVICE CAPs (and SERVICE COATS) outnumbered the Flight caps!!!

I like that hat device.  Lets bring it back!
What's up monkeys?

Eagle400

You're kidding, right?  There are already way too many badges in CAP that have colored enamel on them!

I say off with the head of whoever had the idea of putting colored enamel on CAP's badges!  >:D

Of course, the NEC and BOG badges are an exception. 

MIKE

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 30, 2007, 09:32:41 PM
I like that hat device.  Lets bring it back!

Like something out of a 50s biker movie... Do you look like a young Marlon Brando?

I'd replace the service cap, flight cap and BDU cap with a beret a la RAF... and short brim boonies without the camoing tape for field wear.  Too Euro?
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Quote from: MIKE on June 30, 2007, 10:34:48 PM
I'd replace the service cap, flight cap and BDU cap with a beret a la RAF... and short brim boonies without the camoing tape for field wear.  Too Euro?

Yes, quite Euro ergo FRENCH!!! ;) 

Anyway, berets hold a special place in the military lexicon, we don't need them.  Service caps and flight caps are quite satisfactory.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Eagle400

Quote from: MIKE on June 30, 2007, 10:34:48 PMI'd replace the service cap, flight cap and BDU cap with a beret a la RAF... and short brim boonies without the camoing tape for field wear.  Too Euro?

No, too Army.   >:D

MIKE

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 30, 2007, 10:37:34 PM
Yes, quite Euro ergo FRENCH!!! ;)

Where do you think the flight/garrison cap came from originally?  For that matter, compare the uniforms of the two countries throughout the centuries... And even military terminology.

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 30, 2007, 10:37:34 PMAnyway, berets hold a special place in the military lexicon, ...

In the US.  Different story in other NATO countries.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 30, 2007, 10:37:34 PM
Anyway, berets hold a special place in the military lexicon, we don't need them.  Service caps and flight caps are quite satisfactory.

Not to mention, berets are hot, and have to be shaped again every few months. And no, you can't starch them (they'll fade).

Used to like them. Then had to wear them for the Army Guard. Lesson learned.

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on June 30, 2007, 11:12:26 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on June 30, 2007, 10:37:34 PMAnyway, berets hold a special place in the military lexicon, ...

In the US.  Different story in other NATO countries.

And we're in the US. Let's let our country's military influence our uniforms.

As for the boonie, I haven't seen anyone in the Army or its components wear one. It's either soft cap, or Kevlar in the field. They're actually pretty spendy for a mil-spec one, considering that they aren't really commonly authorized for wear.

mikeylikey

^^  I do believe I wore one overseas circa 2002, 2003-2004, then 2005. 

Yes.....we owe a lot to the French!  Not only our terminology but military tactics also.
What's up monkeys?

RogueLeader

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 30, 2007, 11:36:25 PM

Yes.....we owe a lot to the French!  Not only our terminology but military tactics also.

What tactics ??? We don't surrender!!!  >:D >:D >:D >:D

;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

LtCol White

Quote from: 12211985 on June 30, 2007, 09:42:32 PM
You're kidding, right?  There are already way too many badges in CAP that have colored enamel on them!

I say off with the head of whoever had the idea of putting colored enamel on CAP's badges!  >:D

Of course, the NEC and BOG badges are an exception. 

I agree. Besides, it looks like it was stolen from Harry Potter. LOL
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Major Carrales

Quote from: MIKE on June 30, 2007, 11:12:26 PM
Where do you think the flight/garrison cap came from originally?  For that matter, compare the uniforms of the two countries throughout the centuries... And even military terminology.

I can see I struck a "nerve" here. 

Military fashion for the USA has always followed European styles.  I guess we should also follow the European lead and allow hair of any length (Denmark, Netherlands),  or extremely huge service caps like European RUSSIA or maybe even, dare I say it, embrace Constitutional Monarchy, legalize DRUGS or any number of their extrememly Liberal policies...(yes,  and that "unmentionable one " too)

Commander
SWR-TX-454

ZigZag911

Can't say I'm fond of the beret concept for CAP.

Flight cap is most practical with blues, though I've always preferred the saucer cap for appearance....but what the heck to do with it once you go inside?!?

BDU cap or ball cap for utilities.

LtCol White

I think our current headgear is fine the way it is.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Hawk200

Quote from: ZigZag911 on July 01, 2007, 02:18:57 AM
... though I've always preferred the saucer cap for appearance....but what the heck to do with it once you go inside?!?

That's always annoyed me, too. Gets a little annoying having to hold onto it. And you'd better hope that noone else has one if you put it down somewhere. They take yours without looking inside it.

Pylon

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 01, 2007, 02:15:21 AM
I guess we should also follow the European lead and allow hair of any length (Denmark, Netherlands),  or extremely huge service caps like European RUSSIA or maybe even, dare I say it, embrace Constitutional Monarchy, legalize DRUGS or any number of their extrememly Liberal policies...(yes,  and that "unmentionable one " too)

Do you always take examples far out of context and to ridiculous extremes?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

It's his thread. I guess he can get as whacked as he wants to about it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: Pylon on July 01, 2007, 05:43:30 AM
Do you always take examples far out of context and to ridiculous extremes?

It's called hyperbole.  You know, a figure of speech which is totally exaggeration.  These statements are not literally true, but people make them to emphasize and issue, such as a feeling, effort, or reaction.

'nuff said!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Flying Pig

Please!!!!!  Lets leave the head gear alone!  I dont know if Ill survive telling the wife I have to buy something else for CAP!

Major Carrales

Back to the issue above... notice a few things about this fine example of CAP History.

It has a brown leather visor, likely of the "crushable" type designed to fit likely into a pocket.  I have never been able to see one off these...I have seen reproductions and even own one; but those examples don't seem to be able to do that and "crushing" said visor would cause it to disassemble.

Many people assume that the "crushed" look can be created by merely removing the "wire gromit" and letting it "appear dissheveled."  However, there may be more to this.

The "chin strap" is crafted from a similar leather and seems a bit spartan when compared to thse of today.  By that I mean it lacks some detailing that a modern black chin strap would have.

Behind it is what looks like "OD Green" braid.  This distinguishes it from an enlisted type of WWII era cover that lacked braid.  Still, note in the photo that a CAP Officer (assumed) reading a status board has this type of braid, while the one in the foreground is wearing a service cap with a khaki braid.  We think we have uniform combo problems today!!!

Lets look at the differences in the above pic...(left to right)  I don't know exactally what color the "greens" in "pinks and greens" is and have seen numerous example of 1930s/WWII era uniforms ranging from an almost khaki brown to an almost lime green to a chocolate brown.  For lack of my own knowledge, I will refer to it as OD Green(dark).

1) CAP Officer (sleeve braid) wearing a purely Khaki service cap and khaki service coats with red trimmings.  Khaki Undershirt and tie.

2) CAP Individual, presumed Officer because of colored braid on service cap.   Wearing ETO, "Ike," jacket.  Khaki shirt and tie.

3) A CAP Lieutenant wearing a Khaki shirt with red eapulets, no cover.  Tie is khaki and "tucked in" IAW WWII and 1950s standards.

4) Man in forground with cigarette.  Wearing an OD Green (dark) service cap with a rear chinstrap, in addiation to the front one.  Can't quite tell is that is a shirt of flight suit, I cannot identify the pattern of stitching on the lower back.

5) Man with Khaki service coat, no cover, OD green shirt and khaki tie.  Wide lapels of the 1930s style.

6) Man with crushed OD green service cap.  OD green (dark) with red eapulets. and khaki pants.

Six different uniform combos in one room in Texas in the 1940s. Yikes!!!

Some have pointed out the really "old school" CAP cap device.  This was later replaced by a verson of what we have today.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

PhotogPilot

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 01, 2007, 08:01:08 AM

It has a brown leather visor, likely of the "crushable" type designed to fit likely into a pocket.  I have never been able to see one off these...I have seen reproductions and even own one; but those examples don't seem to be able to do that and "crushing" said visor would cause it to disassemble.

Many people assume that the "crushed" look can be created by merely removing the "wire gromit" and letting it "appear dissheveled."  However, there may be more to this.

Actually, the "crush" look has nothing to do with the visor, or putting the cover into a pocket.  It's also referred to as the "50 mission crush", because pilots would remove the stiffener so they could put headsets over the cover while they flew, and after a few missions, the cover would take on a "crushed" appearance.

http://www.uswings.com/crushcap.asp

ZigZag911

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 01, 2007, 02:26:52 AM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on July 01, 2007, 02:18:57 AM
... though I've always preferred the saucer cap for appearance....but what the heck to do with it once you go inside?!?

That's always annoyed me, too. Gets a little annoying having to hold onto it. And you'd better hope that noone else has one if you put it down somewhere. They take yours without looking inside it.

That was never my problem....I wear a very large hat size!

Major Carrales

Quote from: PhotogPilot on July 01, 2007, 01:56:50 PM
Actually, the "crush" look has nothing to do with the visor, or putting the cover into a pocket.  It's also referred to as the "50 mission crush", because pilots would remove the stiffener so they could put headsets over the cover while they flew, and after a few missions, the cover would take on a "crushed" appearance.

Here is what I have found on the matter...

QuoteEventually, manufacturers began to make caps specifically for aviators. These caps were specially made to be soft and crushable with a thinner and more flexible leather visor, little or no front spring stiffening, and a softer headband. While there was some variation in crushability between the different models, some of these caps could be very easily rolled up and stuffed into a pocket.

http://www.acmedepot.com/keepemflying/crusher.shtml

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

I did some online research into 40s era uniform colors...

Source: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=6014

QuoteFrom the 1943-44 Officer's Guide (Reprinted in Silver Wings, Pinks, and Greens):

Shirt, Service. The service shirt is of woolen or cotton material. Woolen materials are plain or twill weave worsted shirting, 10-1/2 ounces in each case. Cotton materials are broadcloth, cotton, olive drab or khaki, and poplin, cotton, olive drab or khaki. The weights of the cotton materials do not appear to be prescribed.

Authorized colors of the wool shirt are: Olive drab shade No. 51 (dark shade); drab shade No. 54 (light shade); khaki shade No. 1; olive drab shade No. 50. The cotton fabrics are khaki shade No. 1.

It is noteworthy that the regulations now current [1944] authorize the wearing of the gray (drab [pink]) shirt which matches the drab [pink] trousers.

Either the olive-drab or the khaki shirt may be worn when the service coat is worn. Commanding officers may authorize the wearing of the olive drab or khaki shirt without the coat.

Here's a quick and dirty color translation:

No. 01 = Khaki
No. 50 = Yellowish green or "mustard"
No. 51 = Dark brownish green or "chocolate"
No. 54 = Grayish taupe/khaki that appears "pink" in certain conditions

The following photos are items that are in my collection.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

PhotogPilot

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 01, 2007, 05:14:59 PM
Quote from: PhotogPilot on July 01, 2007, 01:56:50 PM

Here is what I have found on the matter...

QuoteEventually, manufacturers began to make caps specifically for aviators. These caps were specially made to be soft and crushable with a thinner and more flexible leather visor, little or no front spring stiffening, and a softer headband. While there was some variation in crushability between the different models, some of these caps could be very easily rolled up and stuffed into a pocket.

http://www.acmedepot.com/keepemflying/crusher.shtml

Very interesting, you learn something new every day I guess.

Thanks for the info.

Major Carrales

Quote from: PhotogPilot on July 02, 2007, 12:39:27 AM
Very interesting, you learn something new every day I guess.
Thanks for the info.

My friend, this occasion we are both quite correct.  Looks like many different firms took a shot an manufacturing these service caps.  We can assume, safely, that in the 1920s-1930s "crush caps" were simply the standard service cap with the "gromet removed."
Some have speculated, including William Manchester author of American Caesar, that Douglas MacArthur did this in WWI.

This photo of MacArthur in France shows the style.  In that book Manchester alludes to the fact that General Billy Mitchell and MacArthur were friends (all things aside) and MacArthur may have influenced the style.

As WWII approached and was in full swing, the "crush cap" took on a more mythical stance.  Then, we can guess, others started to actually produce "crush caps."  Additionally, there were even long instructions including "running it over with a jeep" to get the special look.

More on the crush caps at this location...

http://www.anaspides.net/My%20collection%20pages/Collection%20showcase/crusher%20caps.htm

Commander
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

You can stuff a beret in a pocket too, and it won't screw up the brim when you sit on it.  ;D
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Quote from: MIKE on July 02, 2007, 01:10:05 AM
You can stuff a beret in a pocket too, and it won't screw up the brim when you sit on it.  ;D

Good, recommend it to the uniform Board.  ;D  Neither the beret nor "crush cap" is currently within regs.  However, when and if I ever get the white and gray uniform (which does not have a set cover) I may take to wearing a grey beret as someone here once mentioned they did.

However, we have moved far beyond that part of the discussion.  What is more interesting is...

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on July 02, 2007, 01:10:05 AM

It's still hotter than either the service cap or flight cap, and I don't need to shape a flight or service cap.

JohnKachenmeister

The "Crush Cap" was the Air Corps standard, supposedly because of the issue of wearing headsets over the cap, but really because the Air Corps officers wanted to set themselves apart from the rest of the Army.

The first thing the new USAF did was change all "P" aircraft designations to "F."

The second thing was to ban the crush cap.  The mission of setting ourselves apart from the Army had been accomplished.  Now take off your hat if you are wearing a headset.
Another former CAP officer

Major Carrales

This lovely Crush Cap is available on E-BAY right now, I'm not gonna bid on it and I am not selling it, but this is a nice example of the "Pink-n-Greens" style crush cap.  A Nice juxtaposition to last week's khaki.

Based on my study of this in this thread, note the visor is a "one ply" more bendable than the "two ply leather" seen in other caps of the day.  Also, a "back chin strap." It is seen in this one...

Also, the price...

I don't know if that is the original or resale.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Major Carrales

OK, folks, now is your chance to put your expertise to good use.  Below is a Wiki acticle at Cadet Stuff that I have started on these matters...

http://wiki.cadetstuff.org/index.php?title=%22Crush_Cap%22

Have at it!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Pumbaa

The main Title is spelled wrong....

You have 'Chush' Cap...

Spell check Sparkey, spell check ;)

Major Carrales

Quote from: 2d Lt FAT and FUZZY on July 08, 2007, 07:23:36 PM
The main Title is spelled wrong....

You have 'Chush' Cap...

Spell check Sparkey, spell check ;)

Thanks, that is exactally why I depend on other PAOs.  No man is an island...and if I were, it would likely be Bikini Atoll!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Mustang

Quote from: 12211985 on June 30, 2007, 09:42:32 PMOf course, the NEC and BOG badges are an exception. 

There's a BOG badge?
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "