New CAP Awards Being Proposed

Started by James Shaw, November 14, 2006, 01:28:01 PM

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Pylon on March 26, 2007, 01:21:16 AM
Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 26, 2007, 01:16:20 AM
It would just be so much better if the USAF would allow us to be eligible for AF awards already in place.

As discussed at considerable length elsewhere on these fora, CAP members are eligible for a handful of USAF awards, including some awarded for achievement involving aerial flight.  However, the approval process is a combination of being unclear, needs very high-level approval for each recommendation, and lacks precedence in many cases.

There is, however, preceence for the award of the Air Medal.  The very first two Air Medals awarded after the medal was created were awarded to CAP pilots.  Your point about the approval process is valid.  On an Air Force Authorized Mission, are we an asset of First AF, Special Operations Command, or the Air University?

Going back to the incident of the emergency landing during the Katrina operations, who was CAP working for?  As a general rule, the command to which one is attached when the incident occurs would be the approving authority.  Your normal "Peacetime" chain can approve awards, but usually would do so only in exceptional cases, such as a lost recommendation.
Another former CAP officer

RiverAux

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 27, 2007, 07:40:59 PM
Quote from: mlcurtis69 on November 20, 2006, 06:31:30 PM
I know our southern border is of concern right now, but don't you think putting a cactus on the Border Patrol Medal just slightly limiting?

What happens when we need to start fending off our neighbors to the north?  ;D

Oh, and on the whole photo posting bit. I didn't know that option was there, otherwise I would have suggested that as well. Photobucket is nice though.

What would you want, Mark... a moose?
And a shark for Hawaiian border service and a polar bear for Alaska.  I suppose we could come up with something for the territories as well.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: caphistorian on May 27, 2007, 04:41:49 PM
I have attached the designs that were proposed for the new ribbons and medals. The Awards were turned down at the Board meeting in Washington in March. The IC badge and the DDR Badge had to get NEC approval before going any further. I was told by a Vanguard Rep that it usually takes 30 days to get a design mold and everything done before distribution. I will get a few myself for my collection.

Why do our medals and specialty track badges always look like a paint shop explosion?  :-[
The only items that look halfway decent are things like our Wings, the GT badge and the nurse/ig/emt insignia. AE- subdued, or straight silver.
And honestly: why our some of our medals shaped like a bolt?
Ive never seen anything except round used in the service.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JC004

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 28, 2007, 09:39:13 PM
And honestly: why our some of our medals shaped like a bolt?
Ive never seen anything except round used in the service.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/afmedals/blafcm.htm

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JC004

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 28, 2007, 09:58:09 PM
Thank you, I stand corrected.

I'd like to know the significance of the shapes, though...I couldn't find anything on that...

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on May 28, 2007, 11:03:10 PM

I'd like to know the significance of the shapes, though...I couldn't find anything on that...

I think it is some Roman throwback.  I will research...........
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 29, 2007, 01:32:16 AM

Aren't you supposed to be packing for summer camp?! 

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on May 29, 2007, 01:33:21 AM

True......I will begin the medal research in August.  Hope you can wait that long.  However, feel free to take the train to Fort Knox, I will take you to the Patton Museum and we can see some real medals and play on some awesome tanks!
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 29, 2007, 01:36:21 AM
Quote from: JC004 on May 29, 2007, 01:33:21 AM

True......I will begin the medal research in August.  Hope you can wait that long.  However, feel free to take the train to Fort Knox, I will take you to the Patton Museum and we can see some real medals and play on some awesome tanks!

I will take the bus up on the way back from AL, then TN.  I need to square away some things in AL, first, however.   :)

alamrcn

QuoteI know our southern border is of concern right now, but don't you think putting a cactus on the Border Patrol Medal just slightly limiting?
-------------------
What happens when we need to start fending off our neighbors to the north?  ;D
-------------------
What would you want, Mark... a moose?
-------------------
And a shark for Hawaiian border service and a polar bear for Alaska.  I suppose we could come up with something for the territories as well.

I thought it was nicely appropriate. Here's the Liaison badge if you've never seen one...

No one has said it yet, but it is REALLY REALLY REALLY difficult to come up with new ribbon schemes. Althought they sometimes do, they are not supposed to match any of 100s of exsisting exsisting US ribbons.

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

mikeylikey

Ya....I don't like that.  It strikes as an afront to Mexico.  Watch out.....the ACLU may sue!
What's up monkeys?

arajca

Quote from: alamrcn on May 29, 2007, 04:08:47 PMNo one has said it yet, but it is REALLY REALLY REALLY difficult to come up with new ribbon schemes. Althought they sometimes do, they are not supposed to match any of 100s of exsisting exsisting US ribbons.

- Ace
Actually, there are a few hundred ribbon designs that the DoD doesn't use that are available from Vanguard. PM me and I'll send you eight pages worth. Be advised though, they are about 9Mb each.

For some reason, when I click the "Browse" button, Internet Exploiter closes.

alamrcn

Quote from: arajca on May 29, 2007, 05:23:14 PM
Actually, there are a few hundred ribbon designs that the DoD doesn't use that are available from Vanguard. PM me and I'll send you eight pages worth. Be advised though, they are about 9Mb each.

LOL, the irony there being that Vanguard stocks plenty of insignia that means nothing to no one... heheheh.

Anyway, I wonder if maybe they are foreign service ribbons or something. Someone once said that the current IACE ribbon is also somekind of communist regime service award..... or maybe they were being facetious..... I'm not that up on my ribbon knowledge anymore. Hey, we haven't seen the "CAP ribbons that have appeared in movies or TV shows" thread lately!

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: alamrcn on June 05, 2007, 03:09:00 PM
Quote from: arajca on May 29, 2007, 05:23:14 PM

LOL, the irony there being that Vanguard stocks plenty of insignia that means nothing to no one... heheheh.

Anyway, I wonder if maybe they are foreign service ribbons or something. Someone once said that the current IACE ribbon is also somekind of communist regime service award..... or maybe they were being facetious..... I'm not that up on my ribbon knowledge anymore. Hey, we haven't seen the "CAP ribbons that have appeared in movies or TV shows" thread lately!

- Ace

It could be confused for the ribbon of the British Order of the Bath or the Hero of the Soviet Union medal ribbon. (This medal has no ribbon equivalent.)

The Cadet Recruiter Ribbon looks similar to the British Order of St Michael and St. George.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Flying Pig

No kidding!?  The forst two US Air medals went to CAP pilots?  Thats awsome.  I imagine it was the sub sinking guys?

alamrcn

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 05, 2007, 03:26:09 PM
the Hero of the Soviet Union medal
That's the one!

Yup, the first Air Medals of the war went to some old, fat guys! Here are the heros...

Not bad for some civilain volunteers! I'd say they were heros for sure. BTW, the guy shaking the Prez's hand was in CAP when the event occured, but received his medal while wearing his Navy uniform. The other dude behind him is obviously in a CAP uniform.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

JohnKachenmeister

The CAP air medals were for the rescue of a downed CAP pilot by an amphibian aircraft.  When the amphibian landed in heavy seas, it was damaged too badly to take off again.  The pilot water-taxied back to shore.  Pretty significant achievement in the ocean piloting a light amphibian.

The Navy ensign was, indeed, a CAP pilot when the incident took place.  Because of the critical need for pilots, the Navy lowered certain physical standards for pilot candidates, and he was able to join and go on to become a Naval Aviator.  At the time the medal was awarded, he had not yet been awarded his wings, however.

JohnKachenmeister

Or...

Maybe it was a very young Tony Pineda, trying to push the TPU even then?!