Main Menu

CAP in literature

Started by RiverAux, October 29, 2017, 06:11:38 PM

RiverAux

In my occasional series on books that mention CAP, I give you "Vicious Circle" by CJ Box, published in 2017.  This is part of a fiction series focused on a Wyoming game warden and opens with the game warden flying in a CAP plane on a missing persons search.  I haven't heard much about FLIR being used on CAP planes lately,  but while on the flight they observe a murder through the FLIR.  The information on CAP was accurate except for saying that we were part of the National Guard.  They were flying in a Cessna Turbo 206 (do we have those?). 

So, except for the first chapter there weren't any other CAP mentions other than the acknowledgements. 

AdAstra

Rescue Mission by John Ball tells the tale of two CAP pilots on an over-water search in the Caribbean, who are forced by high winds to land their single-engine CAP plane on the island of Tres Santos. In the face of a hurricane heading their direction, they manage to repair a crippled Constellation, load it with evacuees, and fly it back to the US mainland.
Charles Wiest

MSG Mac

Dale Brown has used CAP extensively in several of his novels.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Airplane girl

I wrote a novel called Staff Selection about a few cadets at staff selection, but I'm probably not going to ever get it published and if I do I'll probably have to come up with a fictional organization to put instead of CAP. Because there are some parts of it that are kind of unrealistic, and other parts that just wouldn't help recruiting at all (there's a lot of CAP politics in it).

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: AdAstra on October 29, 2017, 07:22:29 PM
Rescue Mission by John Ball tells the tale of two CAP pilots on an over-water search in the Caribbean, who are forced by high winds to land their single-engine CAP plane on the island of Tres Santos. In the face of a hurricane heading their direction, they manage to repair a crippled Constellation, load it with evacuees, and fly it back to the US mainland.

That's the same John Ball who write "In The Heat Of The Night," which was later made into a movie and a TV series.

I succeeded him as the Commander of a cadet squadron in 1974.

(It wasn't until years later that I learned that John Ball was an avowed nudist and had actually written a "Mr. Tibbs" novel that took place in a nudist colony).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

sardak

QuoteIn my occasional series on books that mention CAP, I give you "Vicious Circle" by CJ Box, published in 2017.  This is part of a fiction series focused on a Wyoming game warden and opens with the game warden flying in a CAP plane on a missing persons search.  I haven't heard much about FLIR being used on CAP planes lately,  but while on the flight they observe a murder through the FLIR.  The information on CAP was accurate except for saying that we were part of the National Guard.  They were flying in a Cessna Turbo 206 (do we have those?).
Wyoming Wing has a turbo 206 with FLIR. It also has a 182 with FLIR.
Wyoming Wing is activated and operates through the Wyoming National Guard Joint Operations Center (JOC). That may be where the intentional or inadvertent reference to being part of the Guard came from. CJ Box lives in Wyoming.

Mike 

mdickinson

My son really enjoyed the book "Sabotage Flight" by Paul Meyerhoff II https://www.amazon.com/dp/0931625246/

"Twelve-year-old Andy helps his father, a county sheriff and pilot with the Civil Air Patrol, investigate some mysterious activities involving foreigners stealing minerals off the Alaskan coast."

I'll definitely get him started on Squadron Alert! (I wonder - can it be read on a kindle?)

NIN

Quote from: mdickinson on October 30, 2017, 11:37:05 AM
My son really enjoyed the book "Sabotage Flight" by Paul Meyerhoff II https://www.amazon.com/dp/0931625246/

"Twelve-year-old Andy helps his father, a county sheriff and pilot with the Civil Air Patrol, investigate some mysterious activities involving foreigners stealing minerals off the Alaskan coast."

I'll definitely get him started on Squadron Alert! (I wonder - can it be read on a kindle?)

Malcolm, I have it in Kindle-friendly format. I'll email it to you. :)

Speaking as a guy brought up on the Hardy Boys & the Mad Scientist's Club, this is very much in this vein.  A very fun read.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.