Obama's focus on community service - how CAP can fit in

Started by tjaxe, January 20, 2009, 03:33:08 AM

tjaxe

Soon-to-be-President Obama is strongly pushing community service and volunteerism.  One of the ways this can be seen is the new volunteer organizational site UsaService.org.  I went out and put my squadron meeting date on there but that only goes so far.  Does anyone know if National is working on the "bigger volunteer picture"? 

What I mean is, we've got enough volunteers, facilities, training, desire, etc. etc. to become a big player in a rejuvenated "grassroots' service force -- our existing CAP!  We could become a primary aid agency -- like the Red Cross or something like that.  Is this something National wants?  If so, are they working on it?  If not, shouldn't they?

I know I would LOVE to see CAP grow into something really big and I think this push for universal volunteerism is a great time to push things along... if that's what we want

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

Flying Pig

All presidents push volunteerism and community service.  I would imagine how it gets done is far below the President.  Its campaign rhetoric regardless of which side your on.  Hate to burst anyones bubble.

tjaxe

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 20, 2009, 03:36:50 AM
All presidents push volunteerism and community service.  I would imagine how it gets done is far below the President.  Its campaign rhetoric regardless of which side your on.  Hate to burst anyones bubble.

Well, it's not the campaign anymore... it's the beginning of his administration.  And he backed the usaservice.org site.  In any case, you're right -- it's implemented lower down -- but the impetus, the flag waving, comes from on high.

- Tracey, Captain

Flying Pig

Quote from: tjaxe on January 20, 2009, 03:41:52 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on January 20, 2009, 03:36:50 AM

Well, it's not the campaign anymore... it's the beginning of his administration.  And he backed the usaservice.org site.  In any case, you're right -- it's implemented lower down -- but the impetus, the flag waving, comes from on high.

I hear ya....but dont forget.  Politicians are always campaigning, especially first term Presidents who want to be second term Presidents ;D  Im not holding my breath.  You can't push volunteerism. Volunteerism and ways to volunteer have always been available.

Im not trying to rain on any parades, but having been involved in political campaigns myself from the inside......President Obama is going to have his plate full and I can venture to guess any further talk on volunteerism will be directed speeches at scheduled events where as soon as he is done it will be forgotten to make room for the latest briefings on the status of Israel finding the largest natural gas reserves in the history of the world.

Major Carrales

President Bush pushed for volunteerism...thus the USA Freedom Corps.

http://www.usafreedomcorps.gov/

Obama should not "reinvent the wheel," there might be an inherency issue is creating a new organization when one already exists.

Quote"We can change America one heart and one soul and one conscience at a time." 

- President George W. Bush

The true reality of politics is the "polarity" of it all.  One side destroys the other.  I plan to support our President, he will get from me the "benefit of the doubt" that other Presidents (Clinton and Bush) did not from the media and public.

I say, go for it Mr President.  Volunteerism is a key element of Americanism. 

By the way, this topic will brush with politics.  I could not stand the treatment Clinton and Bush got.  In fact, growing up "politically" in that time I would I have have been shaped by it.  I renounce the agendism of the parties, let our Presidents succeed or fail on their own...not because we are supposed to hate them because they are of different parties or methods of thought.  Isn't just that the definition of being a bigot.

Lock the topic if you must.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

tjaxe

Sir,
My question is about CAP National and using this period in time as a possible jump-start to gaining volunteers.  In no way did I mean for this, or even foresee, that this would be made into a political topic.  <sheesh>

I just want to know if there's any way we can get the powers that be -- whomever they happen to be! --  to help get more people involved in CAP.  Nothing more, nothing less.

- Tracey, Captain

Major Carrales

Quote from: tjaxe on January 20, 2009, 04:25:52 AM
Sir,
My question is about CAP National and using this period in time as a possible jump-start to gaining volunteers.  In no way did I mean for this, or even foresee, that this would be made into a political topic.  <sheesh>

I just want to know if there's any way we can get the powers that be -- whomever they happen to be! --  to help get more people involved in CAP.  Nothing more, nothing less.

I understand that.  I too would like to see the right kind of people (by that I mean those that wish to serve in an organization because it is a duty to their nation) come to CAP.  I know they are out there, we just need to get the word out to them.  I know they are there, we have them our unit.  Those willing to work and dedicate.

I just don't want anyone to get their hopes up when the reality of the matter is that we are an agendistic nation with political parties and groups more interested in getting people elected that taking the time to do the people's work.

However...

I can bet, that if President Obama came on the television praising CAP...by the 5 o'clock news, his political opposies would start tearing it to shreds,  It has already started based on some comments on "civilian" organizations he made on election night.  The sun had not yet risen and reports of "Obama's Gestapo" were already being circulated.

And I don't limit this to Obama.  Had McCain won, and had he made a pro-CAP speech, his political detractors would be destroying us as well.

I can only hope that is not the case.  But political agendism is the modus operandi of the two party system.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JC004

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 20, 2009, 03:57:23 AM
President Bush pushed for volunteerism...thus the USA Freedom Corps.

http://www.usafreedomcorps.gov/

Obama should not "reinvent the wheel," there might be an inherency issue is creating a new organization when one already exists.

I agree, Sparky.  Since we already have the federal volunteering stuff, they should use the domain, structure, and all, and just rework it if they have new ideas.  Do away with one or the other.  He has a great IT team, so there could be great potential here, but let's not reinvent the wheel...

flyguy06

Volunteerism should not have to be pushed. it should be something we want to do anyway. I was a volunteer before I even cared about politics.