Main Menu

Tailoring Prices

Started by ♠SARKID♠, March 28, 2009, 02:50:10 AM

♠SARKID♠

I was just given a service dress coat that was about a size to a size+1/2 too small.  I'm looking at having it tailored to fit (its really hard to get this size).  I just wanted to know what a reasonable price would be for having the seams let out.  I've seen a few figures but I don't know where the value vs. quality line exists.

Hawk200

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 28, 2009, 02:50:10 AM
I was just given a service dress coat that was about a size to a size+1/2 too small.  I'm looking at having it tailored to fit (its really hard to get this size).  I just wanted to know what a reasonable price would be for having the seams let out.  I've seen a few figures but I don't know where the value vs. quality line exists.

With service coat, it's not really practical. Shirts being tailored down are one thing, but sizing up is a lot more difficult. The old seam lines tend to show, and it doesn't look right.

I know it stinks, but you might be better off going to a thirift shop on an AF base, or checking eBay for a coat. It would probably be more inexpensive from those sources than tailoring would be.

♠SARKID♠

If you can find a size 51 coat, let me know.  I've been trying for five years and fate just handed me a 50.

Hawk200

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 28, 2009, 03:06:29 AM
If you can find a size 51 coat, let me know.  I've been trying for five years and fate just handed me a 50.

I'll see what I can find. 51? That's pretty good sized.

It stinks, but letting things out never goes well with formal clothing such as the service coat. As I said, taking them in is easy, letting out is harder. My mother was a seamstress, and always had problems with letting things out.

DBlair

I was helping my Squadron logistics officer organize some stuff recently and I believe I may have seen a coat of that size. Size 51 S? R? L? If my unit does indeed have it, I'll let you know.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

CadetProgramGuy

Crud.  I have been looking for a 50 for a while.  To bad it's a Cadet service coat.

Hawk200

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: DBlair on March 28, 2009, 03:40:44 AM

I was helping my Squadron logistics officer organize some stuff recently and I believe I may have seen a coat of that size. Size 51 S? R? L? If my unit does indeed have it, I'll let you know.

51 long if you have it.  51 1/2 would be phenomenal but I know how much that's asking, I'll take what I can get.  Thanks very much!

Cecil DP

You do realize that if you're over 18 years old, you fall under the senior height/weight standards and may not be able to wear that coat.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 28, 2009, 04:28:17 AM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on March 28, 2009, 04:00:05 AM
To bad it's a Cadet service coat.

???

Cadets wear the "Enlisted Service Jacket" while the Officers (Senior Members) wear the Officer Service Jacket.  Thats why its unfortunate for me.

notaNCO forever

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on March 28, 2009, 06:11:53 AM
???

Cadets wear the "Enlisted Service Jacket" while the Officers (Senior Members) wear the Officer Service Jacket.  Thats why its unfortunate for me.

I'm pretty sure that is a gray area; the majority of cadets I know have the service coats with the epaulets.  If we are not supposed to have the ones with the epaulets please tell me how to mount the shoulder cords made to be worn with epaulets. The cadets can wear the old style jackets but not seniors; that is the only difference I know of.

On topic I have to agree; I've never seen a good job on letting something out on a jacket.

Hawk200

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on March 28, 2009, 06:11:53 AM
???

That's one of the problems with the rewrites with 39-1. The previous release stated that cadets could wear either. The only reference to it now is in the Honor Guard section of 39-1 that states "service dress uniform coat with epaulets", and a little further down says "Either the old or new style of service dress may be worn; however, all members of an honor guard should be in the same style, if possible."

It was put out before that cadets could wear the newer style service dress with epaulets, but I don't recall if it was a supp or an ICL on it. That might be in files I have back home, but don't have copies on my laptop.

arajca

Another issue of 'upsizing' a jacket is whether there is sufficient material in the jacket to do so. Most jackets I have seen (former tailor here), have a minimal seam allowance. Usually, just enough material is left to ensure the strength of the seam, more is wasteful.

DC

Quote from: NCO forever on March 28, 2009, 11:46:18 AM
If we are not supposed to have the ones with the epaulets please tell me how to mount the shoulder cords made to be worn with epaulets.

You don't. If you want to wear a shoulder cord with the Enlisted Service Coat you have to get one of the full braid, pin on style cords.

Eclipse

AAFES sells USAF service coats up to 52 Long.  I know, I have one.   Whether they are available today or not, you'd have to check.

As to the tailoring, expect to probably pay at least $25-50 for a decent job.  Also, if this is an older cadet service coat, its likely that the center seam has been sewn so long that letting it out will show a stripe down your back of different colored material or an unpressable crease.

"That Others May Zoom"