UDF Equipment

Started by NC Hokie, October 08, 2015, 03:29:31 PM

NC Hokie

My squadron is going to be doing UDF training this winter and I am looking for affordable recommendations and online sources for the following items listed in the UDF equipment list:

• Flashlight (with red or blue lens), with spare bulb and batteries
  • Protractor -- for map work
  • Alcohol Pens, fine tip, at least 2 colors (neither the color of your colored flashlight lens)

The intent is to either collect money and order these all at once for or just buy a few of each and have members buy what they need from the squadron.

So, what do you guys suggest?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

sarmed1

With the advent of amazon likely that is your best source for flashlights and alcohol pens.  I saw a number of 1 or 2 AA tactical type flashlights under $11 and one or two add on lens filter packs around $4-$6.  military standard D angle heads were around $14.

Expo brand wet erase markers, fine point 12 pack was $7.35

Protractors, there are any number of print it yourself options available, buy a pack of transparency film and print away, cut out with a scissors.  I think I have a number that came attached as part of some ES files either online (some CAP ES site, that the name escapes me) or just as a page in one of the reference texts.  Amazon also had the hard plastic kind for about $3.50

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

JC004

Ranger Joes for the alcohol pens. 

Headlamps are a better option for UDF.  That gets into personal preferences and budget.  I do also have a Mini-MagLite with red and blue lenses.  I have a bunch of flashlights, light sticks, etc.  I like good outdoor LED lights like Princeton Tech, etc.  My headlamp is a Black Diamond. 

I collect protractors, 6" rulers, and other items for the cadets - through donations, at the Free Store, extra supplies people had, etc.  That helps build their kits. 

Capt Thompson

For the alcohol pens, don't use the wet erase Expo markers, get the Staedtler (hope I spelled that right) pens from Ranger Joes or Brigade Quartermasters. Also, get an eraser pen instead of the physical eraser, it works much better. Also, grease pencils (china markers) work well on laminated maps or sheet protectors, and wipe clean later. I picked up a box of 12 mechanical china markers on Amazon for maybe $11 a while back.

I have a mini mag lite with a cheap lens kit, and also a $30 headlamp with red LED's. Amazon

If you're using USGS topos at all, I always carry a USGS protractor ($4 amazon) and also an 8" sectional plotter (amazon, pilot mall etc.). If you have room in your bag a full size 13" plotter is always handy.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)