411 on recent CA/NV find?

Started by NIN, January 22, 2015, 06:07:01 PM

NIN

Friend of mine his father use to run the drop zone at california city, near Mojave. I saw on Facebook this morning that his dad and his wife were missing in their airplane near the California Nevada border and that the wreck had been located by CAP, and my friend had got a call from a CAP chaplain that it did not appear to be a survivable accident.

Anybody got any info on this one? Just curious. PM me if you don't feel comfortable putting any details out in public.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

RSS is your friend...

http://capvolunteernow.com/news/?calif_wing_aircrew_spots_suspected_wreckage_of_missing_plane&show=news&newsID=19656

"A California Wing aircrew has tentatively identified the wreckage of a Beechcraft Bonanza 36 reported missing Tuesday night while en route from California City Municipal Airport to Henderson, Nevada.

The suspected crash site was spotted at first light this morning on a mountainside north of Interstate 15 near Mountain Pass, about midway between Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

The Bonanza left the California City airport Tuesday evening. Radar contact was lost about 8 p.m. local time. Two people – the pilot and his wife – were believed to be aboard.

"We are confident that we have located the site," said Maj. Marc Sobel, CAP incident commander for the search.

Searchers used information gathered by CAP's radar forensics team and GPS data from the Bonanza to help narrow the search location. 

The Air Force Rescue Coordination Center at Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, tasked Civil Air Patrol's California Wing with conducting the search about 1:15 a.m. The wing responded by sending up planes based at El Cajon's Gillespie Field and Van Nuys Airport to look for the  Bonanza. 

Two planes were initially launched – one to act as radio relay, the other to carry out the search. No emergency locator transmitter signal was detected.

About 30 California Wing members – including three aircrews, three ground search teams and base staff to assist – have been involved in the search. Two aircrews and staff were also on standby in the Nevada Wing to assist as needed.

The California Wing is working closely with the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department and Fire Department, which had dispatched a helicopter to search the area.  Based on the location and the aircrews' reports, reaching the site will probably require airborne rappelling. CAP is maintaining coordination efforts with San Bernardino County as well as the AFRCC until the wreckage can be confirmed. "

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Thanks. I didn't look at the RSS feed.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

The wreckage initially spotted was an old crash less than 1 mile from the new site. It has all been sorted out now. The initial aircrew was from my unit, and the incident was thoroughly discussed at our meeting last night.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: SarDragon on January 22, 2015, 09:19:25 PM
The wreckage initially spotted was an old crash less than 1 mile from the new site. It has all been sorted out now. The initial aircrew was from my unit, and the incident was thoroughly discussed at our meeting last night.
It was much more than a mile..

On every mission we learn new things and this search was no different.

PHall

Pilot was carrying a SPOT beacon which is what let to the crash site being found.
According to the San Bernardino County Sheriff Department folks, it was pretty spread out.