1st MO flight advice

Started by Walkman, February 22, 2012, 04:10:11 PM

Walkman

I just finished my F&P tasks and get my first flight as a MO trainee this weekend. Looking for any and all advice.

What should I bring? Do I need to put together a flight bag?

I'm not a pilot, so I've specifically requested to be able to focus on learning the comms/nav instruments which I haven't had much experience with. What are some tips for working with those for a first-timer? I just attended the G1000 ground school, and we might have the plane there for the training as well.

Thanks!

lordmonar

Charts, an aviation ruler, a copy of the checklist, copies of the operations manuals for the ELT, GPS and radio.

See if you can't get some time in the cockpit prior to the flight with external power so you can familurise yourself with the equipment.

Have fun.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

If you're going to be active enough, your own set aviation headset would not be a bad idea.

A knee board is a good investment, and I always use my own hand-held GPS in order to record flight tracks and other info.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JeffDG

I strongly recommend the Operational Mission Inflight Guide from NESA:
http://nesa.cap.gov/Documents/MAS%20Uploads/Operational%20Mission%20InFlight%20Guide%20APR%202010.pdf

Has a lot of great mission planning and mission re-planning (while in the air) resources for you.

Walkman

Quote from: Eclipse on February 22, 2012, 04:22:07 PM
A knee board is a good investment

I was thinking about that in the future. I'm lucky enough to be in a very ES active wing and while my unit doesn't have a plane (yet  8) ) the neighboring unit is always very willing to help us get air time.

Quote from: Al Sayre on February 22, 2012, 04:30:22 PM
Barf Bag >:D

A 1-gallon Ziplock is already in my gear!

Quote from: JeffDG on February 22, 2012, 04:34:42 PM
I strongly recommend the Operational Mission Inflight Guide from NESA:

Has a lot of great mission planning and mission re-planning (while in the air) resources for you.

I saw that recently. but haven't downloaded it. I have the Aircrew Taskguide. Should I use both, or is the Inflight Guide more useful.

vento

The inflight guide is a lot more useful for the bigger picture. The task guide is, well, a task guide.

JeffDG

Quote from: Walkman on February 22, 2012, 04:39:58 PM
I saw that recently. but haven't downloaded it. I have the Aircrew Taskguide. Should I use both, or is the Inflight Guide more useful.
The Aircrew Task Guide covers the specific items for your SQTR.

The Inflight guide is the book you want with you when you're planning a mission or while in the air and you get retasked!  It's got stuff in it like Air-Ground coordination signals when you don't have radio comms, that for the life of me I never seem to remember (and as an ES Training Officer, I'll tell you...we WILL instruct ground crews to ignore the radio sometimes...just so the aircrew has to communicate without the radio!)

EMT-83

A CAP-gridded sectional is handy, along with a road map. If there is a Delorme Gazetter available for your area, it's a good investment.

I always carry a cheat sheet for the Becker and radios. Call it brain-fart insurance.

Pylon

Quote from: Walkman on February 22, 2012, 04:10:11 PM
What should I bring? Do I need to put together a flight bag?

Resurrecting an old thread, here's what I had in my flight bag when I was active as an MO: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=8526.msg153334#msg153334
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Walkman

Quote from: EMT-83 on February 22, 2012, 06:02:44 PM
A CAP-gridded sectional is handy, along with a road map. If there is a Delorme Gazetter available for your area, it's a good investment.

I always carry a cheat sheet for the Becker and radios. Call it brain-fart insurance.

I just bought a DeLorme for Christmas.

For cheat sheets, where's the best place to get those?

Quote from: Pylon on February 22, 2012, 06:13:24 PM
Resurrecting an old thread, here's what I had in my flight bag when I was active as an MO:

Reading through that thread, I kept seeing "E6B" listed. What's that?

JeffDG

Quote from: Walkman on February 22, 2012, 06:29:33 PM
Reading through that thread, I kept seeing "E6B" listed. What's that?
[lmgtfy]e6b[/lmgtfy]

Walkman

peter rabbit

We're assuming you've already completed the MS SQTR and been approved for that, since that is a requirement to begin MO training.

Walkman

Quote from: peter rabbit on February 22, 2012, 09:18:49 PM
We're assuming you've already completed the MS SQTR and been approved for that, since that is a requirement to begin MO training.

Correct. I've been MS for over a year.

SarDragon

Quote from: Walkman on February 22, 2012, 04:39:58 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on February 22, 2012, 04:30:22 PM
Barf Bag >:D

A 1-gallon Ziplock is already in my gear!

Use a quart bag. It's more manageable when you need to use it. Also, stuff a paper towel in it to soak up the liquid. BTDT. Recently. Keep one in your flight suit thigh pocket, and a couple more in your flight bag.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

peter rabbit

Quote from: Walkman on February 22, 2012, 10:07:24 PM
Quote from: peter rabbit on February 22, 2012, 09:18:49 PM

Correct. I've been MS for over a year.

If you would like to PM me with your email address, I'll be glad to share a Dropbox folder with aircrew materials.

Walkman

Quote from: peter rabbit on February 22, 2012, 10:38:43 PM
If you would like to PM me with your email address, I'll be glad to share a Dropbox folder with aircrew materials.

Sent.

ProdigalJim

Concur with all of the above, plus...

Pre-drawn grid square worksheets for grids in which your wing operates frequently. For us in VA, for example, seems we're always doing something in 140 Charlie...so having a couple of photocopies of a grid square worksheet for that box saves A LOT of time, particularly when retasked in flight.

Kneeboard-sized cheat sheets for MI wing frequencies, repeater names, the Becker, the G1000. Pre-made blanks, kneeboard-sized, to record things like Mission Number, sortie, starting Hobbs and Tach numbers, engine start time, wheels up time, ops normal/radio check times, on-station/entering grid times, target/objective located times, wheels down times, engine off times and then ending Hobbs and Tach.

Extra CAPF104s of all flavors (a, b, etc.).

A granola bar or some such pocket-sized munchie...

Also, if the G1000 ground school used only the CD-based training tool, without the actual hardware, you really owe it to yourself to sit in the airplane and get used to the buttonology before flying. Mouse-clicking doesn't really train your muscle memory, and even after 12 G1000 sorties as an MO, my fingers keep wanting to "click" the small, inner-ring button on the display rather than hit the ENT key. My brain knows it's wrong, but the fingers...

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

EMT-83

Quote from: Walkman on February 22, 2012, 06:29:33 PMFor cheat sheets, where's the best place to get those?

I did a Google search for the appropriate equipment (there's tons of it out there), did a copy/paste of what I wanted, and printed and laminated the pages.

For CAP-gridded sectionals, I did the copy/paste onto an Excel sheet, and then added lat/long lines around the edges. Printed double-sided and laminated, it's a good resource that doesn't take a lot of space.