Soliciting for Donations for Personal

Started by capchick121, August 24, 2016, 12:50:11 PM

capchick121

I'm trying to find the reg that addresses this. But all I'm seeing is wearing the uniform for political purposes.
Is it legal for a member to use photos of CAP members in uniform to solicit donations for personal use? What is the reg that backs this up? I would appreciate any information on this!

THRAWN

Forbidden under CAPR173-4, 14 (e) and CAPM39-1, 1.2.7.4.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

stillamarine

Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

capchick121

It was already on page 2 when I bumped lol

stillamarine

Strange seeing when I got on there were only 6 unread threads when I logged on this morning.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

DakRadz

Quote from: capchick121 on August 24, 2016, 01:39:01 PM
It was already on page 2 when I bumped lol
You should probably learn more about the forum... I saw it within 5 minutes and have already read 8 other conversations.

1st Lt Raduenz

raivo

It's completely possible to accidentally change the thread sort order to something that's not "most recent post first" and not realize it, y'know.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: raivo on August 24, 2016, 04:31:49 PM
It's completely possible to accidentally change the thread sort order to something that's not "most recent post first" and not realize it, y'know.

Which doesn't justify a bump 3 minutes in, especially when literally few other topics have any posts in the last few days.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: capchick121 on August 24, 2016, 12:50:11 PM
I'm trying to find the reg that addresses this. But all I'm seeing is wearing the uniform for political purposes.
Is it legal for a member to use photos of CAP members in uniform to solicit donations for personal use? What is the reg that backs this up? I would appreciate any information on this!

Now that is a good question. Because every once in a while I see a gofundme for a CAP member in need, generally with a picture of the cadet or cadets in uniform.

CAPM 39-1, 1.2.7, "When NOT to wear the CAP uniform,"
under subsection 4 states:
1.2.7.4. While furthering political activities, private employment or commercial interest.
So I suppose that technically it isn't falling in any of those 3 categories?

1.2.7.3 would be the only one to follow up on: "Under any circumstance that would tend to bring discredit or reproach upon the
uniform"

Майор Хаткевич

The better question is...personal donations for what?

Tongue piercing? Vacation? A NCSA?

JC004

Over the years, I have seen various circumstances in which we put out a general call to membership for help to aid another member or family.  I have seen money donated quite a few times, household goods, blood, and even a kidney (note to organ harvesters: I have only seen this once, so please do not expect to harvest the organs of our members).

Strictly speaking, this is not against regulations by the letter of the uniform prohibitions.  I would not view something like raising capital for a start-up business as within the intent of the regulations.  It is possible that it might be appropriate for emergency circumstances, if making a page to send out to CAP members.  I'd probably use a non-CAP photo as the main photo, and if CAP photos were to be added, showing a member active in the organization, perhaps make them secondary.  It would be prudent to make sure it is clear that it is not fundraising for CAP, that it is not tax deductible, etc.  This area is fuzzy.  The fundraising regulation prohibits certain things, but is clearly intended to address what can be done in fundraising activities that are governed by the regulation.

Please do not bump threads in this way.  If they are immediate bumps, I will remove the post.  It is unnecessary.  The post volume has been low.  People will see it just fine.  Most people do not make use of the individual post list; they use the pages like Unread Posts and New Replies.

Damron

Quote from: THRAWN on August 24, 2016, 01:02:23 PM
Forbidden under CAPR173-4, 14 (e) and CAPM39-1, 1.2.7.4.

If you read 173-4 14(e) out of context, it looks like it might apply.  However, that regulation applies to CAP fundraising.  An individual may not benefit from a CAP fundraising effort.

FW

It is not permitted to use CAP fundraising as a means to make a personal profit .  Appearing in uniform, as a CAP member in a "Go Fund Me" page, asking for money, can be considered in the context of CAP Fundraising.  IMHO, this would be a good way to become a "former member".  There are better ways to solicit personal funds...

Damron

Quote from: FW on August 24, 2016, 09:31:43 PM
It is not permitted to use CAP fundraising as a means to make a personal profit .  Appearing in uniform, as a CAP member in a "Go Fund Me" page, asking for money, can be considered in the context of CAP Fundraising.  IMHO, this would be a good way to become a "former member".  There are better ways to solicit personal funds...

I encourage members to consult with their legal officer before engaging in CAP or private fundraising in which members may be portrayed in uniform.

lordmonar

Generally, by following 39-1's spirit if not letter of the law, you should not use the uniform for personal gain.

Employment, business interests, political, etc. 

Having said that.

If, as was pointed out, the personal gain was for money to attend an NCSA or Encampment or some other CAP related function.....then wearing the uniform or using images of the same....would enter a gray area.

As Damron said....individual members should consult with their commanders and commanders should consult with higher HQ just to be on the safe side.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

To some extent, it's not even gray - 173-4 explicitly prohibits the wear of USAF-Style uniforms by adults during any fund raising, personal or otherwise.

"2. No Air Force Involvement. It is important that no suggestions or inference be made in
any CAP fund-raising program that the Air Force is involved or would benefit. Therefore, wear
of the Air Force-style CAP uniform in fund raising activities is limited to cadets.
Advertising and
promotional matter should clearly identify CAP as a distinct organization from the Air Force.
(See also paragraph 15f.)"

"That Others May Zoom"

Damron

Quote from: Eclipse on August 25, 2016, 03:43:23 AM
To some extent, it's not even gray - 173-4 explicitly prohibits the wear of USAF-Style uniforms by adults during any fund raising, personal or otherwise.

"2. No Air Force Involvement. It is important that no suggestions or inference be made in
any CAP fund-raising program that the Air Force is involved or would benefit. Therefore, wear
of the Air Force-style CAP uniform in fund raising activities is limited to cadets.
Advertising and
promotional matter should clearly identify CAP as a distinct organization from the Air Force.

173-4 refers to CAP fundraising.  You have chosen to to use the words "personal or otherwise". 

Eclipse

Quote from: Damron on August 25, 2016, 04:30:07 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 25, 2016, 03:43:23 AM

Advertising and

173-4 refers to CAP fundraising.  You have chosen to to use the words "personal or otherwise".

So you'd assert that it's verboten to be in a USAF-style uniform with your hand out when the money comes
back to CAP, but would be OK if the money goes to the member?

"That Others May Zoom"