Suggestion to Add a CAP History Category

Started by FlexCoder, November 18, 2008, 10:57:47 AM

FlexCoder

It would be beneficial to add a CAP History Category on Main Page where members can post CAP historical events, pictures, stories, etc.   

BillB

That's a great idea. Much of the history of CAP is hidden in members desk drawers of files. Would be nice to be able to see more of the history of CAP.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Pylon

Thank you for the feedback.  There doesn't need to be a section for you to be able to post interesting historical items and discussions.  We give the same answer as to why there isn't a section for public affairs/recruiting/communications/chaplain service/insert subject here.  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2385.msg42584#msg42584

If a subject matter is generating a lot of topics, it will warrant its own section.  From my experience, creating a new section does not necessarily encourage more posting on that subject.  So get posting!   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

BillB

I don't think we're talking of Historian Specialty Track, but rather history of CAP. How much of the history is stored in dark places, gathering dust? How many members have items of historical interest stuck in old files of in bottom desk drawers. I believe that's what the suggestion concerns. Probably 90% of the posts would be from "non-Historians".
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Pylon

I know; I got it.  The concept applies for any subject matter or topic - if there become enough threads on the topic, we will consider its own section.  We try to keep the sections aligned with the most frequently discussed topic areas and the number of sections conservative to keep clutter and unnecessary sprawl down.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

FlexCoder

CadetStuff has a history category, why not CAP Talk! There are hundreds of posts about CAP history on here.   It is a frequently discussed topic.  What is the exact number of posts required to create a new category?      Create the category and we will double your requirement!

James Shaw

My 2 cents worth.

Historical category would be great to see, however I do have to agree with Pylon that it would create more than is needed. If you create a sinlge thread for History than you will have a very long thread after a while. Historical Items are based on the individual items and the discussion usually lasts about a week. i do not see that it would justify its own category. I think a New Topic will suffice when an item is presented.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

FlexCoder

Agreed...I don't see much of a big interest in CAP history as well.  Incentives and contests only get posts initially but once that is over, it would probably be dead in the long run.

MIKE

Just look at some of the other less active sections.  At least one of those was a user suggestion, maybe more of them.  Also, CAP Talk rose from the ashes of CAPboard... And one it's issues was way too many forum sections with no content.

The forum sections themselves don't really matter when as a registered user you are viewing all unread posts since your last visit... It's when you try to find them later. 

I'm still gonna move 'em if they are in the wrong section though.
Mike Johnston